Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi everyone, just received my fourth post-AC rejection. That's it for me this cycle. No vac scheme/TC this year. I hate be complaining because I know many others are in the same position as I am. But I am just so disappointed in myself. I don't get how some people are able to get it right the first round. It feels very bad being in a friendship circle where people are all getting their vac schemes and I am the one with nothing. I feel like the ultimate failure. Last semester I put my studies aside to focus on the apps. I was hoping to get something this year so I could focus on graduating with a first. Now I won't be able to do that. I'm still lagging behind even though I've been putting in so much effort trying all ways to be ahead of the game. It feels really bad when you try your best and you are told that you best isn't even enough. I don't know if I have more to give. I feel like a total failure. Some nights I cry myself to sleep because I feel like a total let down to my parents. I am under so much pressure and so much stress.
    I feel for you - as you said, so so many other people are in the same position as you (it has actually been a running theme of my office hours). I know that you're feeling very disappointed in yourself, but I'd want you to remember that so much of this process is outside of your control. You are likely to be an excellent candidate, and others just so happened to have more luck than you this cycle, which isn't a reflection on your abilities or potential to be a great lawyer. One of the unfortunate facts of the online world is we now get to see every time someone gets an offer, which I think is very unhealthy - the reality is that the vast majority of people haven't got offers this cycle.

It's really hard to imagine this, but I'd also remind you of the long term - when you look back on this, as a lawyer, the fact that you took a bit longer to secure a training contract won't matter. If anything, if you stick through this, going through this rejection right now is going to make you come out as a very resilient person.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Personally, I wouldn't put in work experience I hadn't done yet. So, I'd definitely include a vacation scheme I've completed but not one that's coming up. That's just my personal opinion.
    Agree on this - there might be other places like “extra information” sections that where this information could be included instead.

Reactions: Lohana

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    This is going to sound so ridiculous but I am having this crazy thought of rallying all the rejects in the same position as me and pooling together a sum of money to buy out a small law firm and give us all a TC.
    Technically with the SQE you could set up your own firm and get a qualified lawyer from outside of the firm to sign off your qualifying work experience. 🤯🤯🤯

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.