2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ilovetheDLR

Star Member
  • Feb 10, 2021
    Is there a website where you can see a firms recent deals? As the firm I am researching does not have their deals on their own website.
    The only matter database I can think of is Law.com Radar but that's not free. I don't think there will be a free website that'll list all deals really but you could try the following:

Sometimes deals are mentioned under their "experiences" section of a partner's profile so might be worth trying that. Also, try searching for the firm name on legal news websites - Law.com, TheLawyer, LegalBusiness, Law360, IFLR1000, GlobalLegalChronicles, BloombergLaw are good ones. Failing that, you can also try searching the firm name on sites like PRNewswire as most press releases for announced deals will include legal advisors.

Bit strange for a firm to not include deals on their website though, do you mind me asking what firm this is for?

Last edited:
    Reactions: Dheepa

pbyrne

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 15, 2021
    And PFO from Fox Williams. So that's all my apps from Jan out. Supposed to be focusing on direct tc apps but feeling v disheartened now and can't concentrate. This is my fourth cycle. I had two final round interviews in my second cycle but after that I haven't been able to get past application form stage and just don't know where I'm going wrong - I've had my forms checked and read by others (including lawyers) and think my two interview successes were based on worse application forms, so I'm completely stumped.

ofm

Distinguished Member
  • Jan 14, 2021
    if a law firm say they can't offer you a vacation scheme bt you're still under consideration for a TC is that a bad thing ? can't really gauge it

I had this for BDB Pitmans, really not sure what to think

I just got this too & idk what to think either... hoping they decided that I had enough experience to warrant putting me in the direct TC route? Or I applied too late...

E1998

Distinguished Member
    Feb 17, 2021
    Massive apologies as I am aware this has been spoken about recently. I received two vac scheme offers yesterday & OVER THE MOON (calls came through legit at the same time hahaha what are the odds)..

But of course the dates clash. I plan on asking one of the firms if alternative dates are available (one of them I know can't change the dates as its like a set time), what I want to know is the best way to go about this... as in the best way to word it haha. Then if they can't change it what should my plan be, I know @Jessica Booker recommends asking to be considered for a TC but should I include that in my original email asking to change dates or only if they respond saying they can't change the dates? If anyone has a recommending wording of this or has done it before please let me know!

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    Has anyone heard from Reed Smith recently! I submitted my research questions in early February and I haven't heard anything since (lowkey forgot I still had Reed Smith outstanding!)
    Nope, I sent my research questions on February the 14th...It is really affecting me. Just send me a PFO plse

Reactions: 21wajsz

cmaj

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
  • Sep 18, 2019
    I was in the same position - two of my three clashed. On the one hand, it was difficult because I really liked the firm I had to turn down, I worked so hard to get that offer, and that firm had more trainee places available. On the other hand, I just slightly preferred the firm which it clashed with. I feel like I've built a stronger connection with them and done a better job in the recruitment thus far. So I'm backing myself that I can convert it, rather than going with the other firm and wondering 'what if'...
    I was in EXACTLY the same position as this! Although I loved one firm, the other fit my requirements better and had a higher ratio of VS to TC places. I tried to be objective in my decision and not think about the people I had met and who I liked more from that perspective. I'm still hoping that one of my vac schemes gets shorter though as one is 3 weeks and the first week clashes with one of the weeks of the one I had to turn down :(

Sebastian Clark

Esteemed Member
    May 5, 2020
    And PFO from Fox Williams. So that's all my apps from Jan out. Supposed to be focusing on direct tc apps but feeling v disheartened now and can't concentrate. This is my fourth cycle. I had two final round interviews in my second cycle but after that I haven't been able to get past application form stage and just don't know where I'm going wrong - I've had my forms checked and read by others (including lawyers) and think my two interview successes were based on worse application forms, so I'm completely stumped.
    Try not to get too disheartened! This cycle has honestly been mad in terms of numbers, and it’ll be arbitrary/tiny things I’m sure that mean your applications aren’t progressing. I’m the same, I’ve had only 3 VIs this cycle out of 12 vac scheme applications and they’ve not progressed - I’ve definitely felt like throwing in the towel.

I honestly do believe it’s a numbers game at this point, and that luck plays a big part.

Take a few days for yourself and bounce back with the straight TC apps - when you look back on this period as a lawyer in ten years time you’ll be glad you persevered!

Reactions: Veep9, Matt_96 and Dheepa

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Massive apologies as I am aware this has been spoken about recently. I received two vac scheme offers yesterday & OVER THE MOON (calls came through legit at the same time hahaha what are the odds)..

But of course the dates clash. I plan on asking one of the firms if alternative dates are available (one of them I know can't change the dates as its like a set time), what I want to know is the best way to go about this... as in the best way to word it haha. Then if they can't change it what should my plan be, I know @Jessica Booker recommends asking to be considered for a TC but should I include that in my original email asking to change dates or only if they respond saying they can't change the dates? If anyone has a recommending wording of this or has done it before please let me know!
    Huge congrats on the two vacs! ☺️ I would only ask about being considered for a TC if they say no to changing dates. Firms are a lot more flexible with changing dates rather than switching to the TC stream outright.

Reactions: Daniel Boden

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Is there a website where you can see a firms recent deals? As the firm I am researching does not have their deals on their own website.

Have you tried The Legal 500/Chambers rankings? They usually have highlight deals listed. I’d also recommend searching The Lawyer. Everything is usually behind a paywall but sometimes the headlines give the names of clients away

Reactions: zigzag84

Andrew M

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Jan 7, 2020
    I was in EXACTLY the same position as this! Although I loved one firm, the other fit my requirements better and had a higher ratio of VS to TC places. I tried to be objective in my decision and not think about the people I had met and who I liked more from that perspective. I'm still hoping that one of my vac schemes gets shorter though as one is 3 weeks and the first week clashes with one of the weeks of the one I had to turn down :(
    It's funny because we approached the same situation from opposite approaches! The firm I turned down have more TC places (although it's hard to gage how many they allocate to vac schemers) - I just felt that I might be a better fit for the other firm and that this could serve me better in securing the TC.

Is the 3 week scheme the DLA one? I would have thought that they'd have already cut the first week, to be honest!

Reactions: cmaj

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    I have a Cooley AC coming up and was wondering whether anyone has any tips or how to prep for a business case study and presentation :/ I've never done one before

Hey, so my biggest tip for business case studies is to actually try practicing some consulting case studies. There’s quite a few free ones online and they do a really good job of getting you to think about purely business solutions rather than legal solutions. There’s also quite a lot of advice on these threads on how to structure answers for business case studies.

For the presentation, assuming you are not given the topic beforehand, I’d say the key is time management. You want to make sure you leave enough of your prep/reading time to run through an intro, some of your key points and a conclusion. That way you’ll be able to start of the actual presentation really strongly. It’s also important to remember to really assume the role the case study has assigned to you. So if you’re a lawyer/consultant giving a presentation to clients start your presentation off greeting your assessors as if they we’re the clients. Small things like this really make a big difference.

Hope that helps!

Reactions: AspiringSol
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.