2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew M

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Jan 7, 2020
Does anyone know what the VS to TC conversion rate is for Addleshaw Goddard?
I don't have a strict figure but according to Chambers Student, they have 70 VS places per year and 45 TC places per year. They do offer a direct TC route but they also say that they hire predominately from their VS. So I think that the conversion is probably pretty healthy!

whoknew

Mar 8, 2021
The summer and spring cohorts were combined last year across two different summer schemes!
Ah okay I see!

I know some firms do hire larger numbers from Spring/Winter schemes where the candidates tend to be slightly older. For instance, Hogan Lovells regularly offers 15 or above TCs to roughly 17 or so winter vac students each year. Other firms have similar rates for winter schemes.

M1999

Legendary Member
Nov 28, 2019
On my VS, there were 21 of us and I think maybe 8 or 9 were made final TC offers. So I'd say it's about 50% or slightly less. I'd say this is generally the case for most firms actually. Even if they say they recruit 80% from VS, the percentage can be very misleading, especially when the number of TC spaces are low and they are a firm that recruit from direct TC as well.
Do you know how many they take from direct TCs?

Dheepa

Legendary Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
TCLA Moderator
Premium Member
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Do you know how many they take from direct TCs?

Nope, unfortunately don't have a definitive answer on this. But I'd say maybe around 10 or less? At a future trainee event there were quite a few in the Sep 2022 cohort who were direct TC applicants.

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Does anyone know what the VS to TC conversion rate is for HSF or W&C?
    Does anyone know what the VS to TC conversion rate is for Addleshaw Goddard?

Just wanted to say that while I know how easy it is to get caught up in numbers, the reality is if you're an outstanding candidate the firm will make you an offer and will find the space for you. People often forget that for a VS you'll have candidates from different stages (penultimate year, graduates, people who want a gap year etc.) so offers will be made across different intakes, which means a) there's no definitive way to measure the conversion rate, any information on it will be misleading to some extent and b) there's likely to be more TC places up for grabs than you think.

Side note: I think conversion rates for HSF are very high because they recruit solely from the VS and according to their GR (explaining why their AC is so tough) they actually aim to make TC offers to most if not all their VS students.

Lillith

Star Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 14, 2021
    On my VS, there were 21 of us and I think maybe 8 or 9 were made final TC offers. So I'd say it's about 50% or slightly less. I'd say this is generally the case for most firms actually. Even if they say they recruit 80% from VS, the percentage can be very misleading, especially when the number of TC spaces are low and they are a firm that recruit from direct TC as well.
    Thank you!

FM302989

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Oct 16, 2020
    Will this thread reach 1000 pages? I'm not sure since everyone's application cycle is almost over
    But when did you apply?

the rock eyebrow GIF

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.