Status
Not open for further replies.

Lumree

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Highest Rated Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 17, 2019
    To those who have done the PwC game, did you receive any confirmation email to say you completed it? I just completed it and all it did was take me back to the app’s menu screen

Lawgirl123

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Jun 22, 2020
    hey guys, i was thinking about applying to Jones Day but noted there is a specific question on what Jones Day events I've attended. As I haven't attended any - do you think it is worth applying? Has anyone else been in a similar position?

sabma

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 22, 2018
    Hey guys,

I'm preparing for a couple ACs with case studies and I was wondering if anyone could recommend some resources for mock case studies that I could use to practice please?

Reactions: OB

Celestie

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    Can anyone help me on the interpretations section of the WG please?
    "The pupils in Mr Ahmed's class averaged 10 higher than the pupils in Mr Ali's class in the same history test. Mr Ahmed and Mr Ali used somewhat different teaching methods in teaching history."

Proposed conclusions:
    1. The pupils in Mr Ahmed's class as a group were brighter than Mr Ali's class
    2. The method of teaching of Mr Ahmed was superior than Mr Ali
    3. Mr Ali and Mr Ahmed taught in the same school.

My answers are conclusion does not follow for any of them, because for the first two there could be many factors that the other students did well on the test. And for number 3, there's no indication they taught at the same school. We can assume, but it does not say it in the passage.

I'd appreciate any help!
    Hi, if this is from a test, I recommend you delete this as you arent allowed to publish test questions I believe

Legal_rawn

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Dec 21, 2019
    For the skadden VS app when it asks about interests/hobbies outside of school/work should we relate these to the skills we gained from them? Also if I have done an insight day with a firm (which is the equivalent of their first year scheme) should that go in the positions of responsibility section or the work experience part?

Last edited:

Celestie

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    "The pupils in Mr Ahmed's class averaged 10 higher than the pupils in Mr Ali's class in the same history test. Mr Ahmed and Mr Ali used somewhat different teaching methods in teaching history."

Proposed conclusions:

My answers are conclusion does not follow for any of them, because for the first two there could be many factors that the other students did well on the test. And for number 3, there's no indication they taught at the same school. We can assume, but it does not say it in the passage.

I'd appreciate any help!
    I would personally put
    1. does not follow
    2. does follow
    3. does not follow
    I might be wrong though!

Reactions: collie_121

M1999

Legendary Member
    Nov 28, 2019
    I would personally put
    1. does not follow
    2. does follow
    3. does not follow
    I might be wrong though!
    thank you! with the interpretations, should we interpret what the argument is for it? so the argument here is that they did well on the test because of different teaching methods, although we know it might be something else. is this what beyond a reasonable doubt means?

Celestie

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    thank you! with the interpretations, should we interpret what the argument is for it? so the argument here is that they did well on the test because of different teaching methods, although we know it might be something else. is this what beyond a reasonable doubt means?

I try not to deep the WG cause I did that the first time I ever sat it and failed miserably (only time I ever asked for a score mark). I read the initial text in my head and imagine if someone in a conversation stated the propose inference to me - usually, I have a knee jerk reaction like "HELL NO" or "yes". I don't try to see it like an argument.

Zoo

Esteemed Member
    Future Trainee
    Apr 21, 2019

Proposed conclusions:

I'd appreciate any help!

In case you haven't seen it/ may be useful for others, here's a useful YouTube video by Idin Sabahipour explaining his strategy for tackling WGs

Jooooopp7

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Nov 25, 2019
    For the Hogan Lovells application, since the work experience section states paid work experience only, I'm assuming any committee positions at university would come under voluntary work? - just double checking since I'm so used to putting everything under the work experience section!

Celestie

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    I have a telephone interview with Mayer Brown on Tuesday and was wondering if anyone knows what type of questions they typically ask? I believe it’s strengths-based, but does this mean they won’t ask the typical ‘why law?’ or ‘why Mayer brown’ style questions? Would really appreciate any help :)
    I can't speak for MB themselves but I think it is always a bad idea to enter an interview without prepping for those two questions cause they have every right to ask them. Rather over-prepare than under prepare - you get me? And just keep the prep for other/future interviews if they don't ask!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.