Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I know the SQE route is still very uncertain but does anyone have any clarification on if you still have to do the SQE1 and 2 courses if you have the GDL?
Yes - you’d only be exempt from the SQE stage 1 if you complete the LPC. So the GDL alone doesn’t really help with the qualification process, but could help you gain the knowledge to pass the SQE stage 1

jan28

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
M&A Bootcamp
Sep 12, 2019
Can't agree more with you! I think it takes a certain degree of maturity to be able to block out the noise and other people's opinions on things like prestige, where to train, etc. I haven't watched the video yet but our generation (I blame Linkedin for this) tends to over glorify "hustle culture" and insane things like having 6 streams of income and owning a London flat by the time your 26 so its incredibly refreshing to see people who are just as open about the lows as they are the highs.
Couldn’t agree with this more. I feel this hustle culture has been amplified even more during lockdown where there’s this pressure to spend all our ‘free’ time and efforts into staying productive alllll the time like sheesh, some of us are lucky to just get through the day !

G P

Star Member
Jul 13, 2020
Yes - you’d only be exempt from the SQE stage 1 if you complete the LPC. So the GDL alone doesn’t really help with the qualification process, but could help you gain the knowledge to pass the SQE stage 1
What would you advise a non-law graduate do starting September? Sign up for the GDL/LPC route, or try and find an SQE prep course? Would an SQE prep course give a non-law student enough knowledge to pass SQE1? Thanks

JayC

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Junior Lawyer
Jan 8, 2021
I wouldn’t be so dismissive of the ability to defer your offer. Many firms are open to that idea, especially if you have confirmed plans. Just be mindful it means you are more likely to take the SQE route though.
Do firms usually want to know about this immediately when accepting the offer, or is there ever room to defer closer to beginning the actual TC, if an exciting opportunity arises?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
What would you advise a non-law graduate do starting September? Sign up for the GDL/LPC route, or try and find an SQE prep course? Would an SQE prep course give a non-law student enough knowledge to pass SQE1? Thanks
Advice on this is very difficult.

1) it depends on the firms you are applying to

2) it depends on your personal circumstances.

I think my response generally is don’t rush into either and wait until you know what the firms you are applying to want you to do.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Do firms usually want to know about this immediately when accepting the offer, or is there ever room to defer closer to beginning the actual TC, if an exciting opportunity arises?
It can be at a later date. It’s fairly common for penultimate year students offered this summer to then ask for a deferral during the next academic year, especially if they secure masters placements. Basically the closer to the start date you ask, the less likely it is that the firm will be able to offer it.

There will be certain extenuating circumstances where a firm could be willing to defer you relatively close to the start date though.

Reactions: JayC

G P

Star Member
Jul 13, 2020
Advice on this is very difficult.

1) it depends on the firms you are applying to

2) it depends on your personal circumstances.

I think my response generally is don’t rush into either and wait until you know what the firms you are applying to want you to do.
I understand your response and that advice on this must be difficult, but I can't really afford to 'wait'. I will apply to as many firms as I can next application cycle in the hopes of securing a TC, as I haven't had much success so far while at uni.

FM302989

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Oct 16, 2020
    Passed the Fox Williams tests too!

Also just received my offer letter today for the TC I've been offered. They've asked me to sign and return this by 19 April. Is it still possible for me to return this, but go on other AC's and accept a new offer should it come through? I'm counting chickens for sure, and I'm aware that it may be possibly harming bridges by later reneging an offer

JayC

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 8, 2021
    Hearing about everyone's experience with TS this year has majorly put me off applying for them next cycle. Deciding to stop reviewing applications despite time and effort put in seems to be in bad taste to me. It also seems mildly unethical.

Sorry to everyone that had a PFO but thank you for sharing your experience so I know to avoid!
    Just to add my two cents a bit late in this discussion (I received the same PFO), I don't let myself get down about this kind of thing but I just find it unimpressive on the part of the firm. The same goes for firms who make you pass tests before even reading your application. Other firms are perfectly capable and willing to invest resources into reading everyone's application, and I think that's the least people deserve after spending the time applying. I wouldn't want to work at a firm that does not value my time, or treats me as disposable by taking the attitude that they don't even need to look at what I have to offer because they have already found enough talent elsewhere.

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Passed the Fox Williams tests too!

Also just received my offer letter today for the TC I've been offered. They've asked me to sign and return this by 19 April. Is it still possible for me to return this, but go on other AC's and accept a new offer should it come through? I'm counting chickens for sure, and I'm aware that it may be possibly harming bridges by later reneging an offer

If you're talking about VS ACs, if you've signed the TC offer, then technically you can't do other vacation schemes. Most firms have it as a condition of accepting a VS offer that you haven't already accepted a TC elsewhere. The huge caveat to this is that most candidates accept TC offers and go on to do vacation schemes anyway. See this post. If you're talking about direct TC ACs/ offers, then again, technically, you can go ahead and do them and renege on your current firm later on. The problem with doing ACs when you already have a TC offer is you're potentially taking another candidate's place but honestly it is entirely up to you if you want to be the bigger person by not doing the ACs.

Reactions: FM302989

FM302989

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Oct 16, 2020
    If you're talking about VS ACs, if you've signed the TC offer, then technically you can't do other vacation schemes. Most firms have it as a condition of accepting a VS offer that you haven't already accepted a TC elsewhere. The huge caveat to this is that most candidates accept TC offers and go on to do vacation schemes anyway. See this post. If you're talking about direct TC ACs/ offers, then again, technically, you can go ahead and do them and renege on your current firm later on. The problem with doing ACs when you already have a TC offer is you're potentially taking another candidate's place but honestly it is entirely up to you if you want to be the bigger person by not doing the ACs.
    So my offer was from a direct TC application. Fortunately, there's no such wording precluding Vac Schemes etc so you're right

I am well happy with the TC Offer I have and I'm sure I'll have a great two years at least there. However, I didn't apply to firms and go through their app process on a whim, I did 10~ applications to firms I was genuinely interested in so I guess I want to make the most of opportunities that are offered to me

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    So my offer was from a direct TC application. Fortunately, there's no such wording precluding Vac Schemes etc so you're right

I am well happy with the TC Offer I have and I'm sure I'll have a great two years at least there. However, I didn't apply to firms and go through their app process on a whim, I did 10~ applications to firms I was genuinely interested in so I guess I want to make the most of opportunities that are offered to me

I completely understand wanting to keep your options open! In fact that's why I said it's entirely up to you on if you want to think about other candidates' position (not an easy thing to do I think). Just trying to point out all the factors that you might want to consider.

Reactions: Jaysen
    A

Anon 11031

@Jessica Booker I recently completed the VI for a firm (my first choice) and I'm wondering if I should let them know about my change in employment. I mentioned in my application that I had secured a new position but now I'm doing it full-time (and it's far better than the job I had when I submitted my application).

I don't know if it would make a difference or not to let them know I've actually started?

LegalLily

Star Member
    Feb 19, 2021
    Agree with this.

I particularly think the legal industry can be toxic. What other profession can someone start their career with potentially no prior experience or knowledge on a £40/50k salary; that's bizarre to me (yes, I do understand how fee-earners work/time-costing works - I've worked as a Paralegal for almost two years).

I genuinely wish we had more positivity and encouragement (a la TCLA) and fewer 'LinkedIn Influencers' on the web
    “what other profession can someone start on a 40/50k salary”, well there’s investment banking, consultancy, software design, fin tech, engineering, medical research, private equity analysts, dental trainees, working at Aldi as a manger lol etc.

I think partly why the law applicant space is so toxic is people have this do or die attitude about it as they think it’s the only career that will provide them with a good salary/life and prestige. And thus helps to create the boastful, pretentious stuff we see on LinkedIn.

Ultimately there are many other careers out there with equally great earning potential and are city based, have international work, are high profile etc. But 100% agree with you less LinkedIn influencers would be fab haha

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Feeling quite down...had two interviews over the last two cycles for both Clifford Chance and Jones Day (not much for two cycles) and received PFOs for both post interview (it’s always one silly thing I do that seals my fate). Just feel deflated and maybe not cut out for London :(
    I have an offer for Pinsent Masons in Scotland but London is really where I want to be - does anyone have any advice? What is the practice for moving to London in the future from Scotland as this forum is mostly focused on London so haven’t seen much regarding this topic! Alternatively should I turn down the offer and keep pursuing London?
    Any advice is appreciated, reading the conversations and support on here always makes me realise I’m not alone! Really having a bad day after the PFO 😕
    Moving from Scotland to London is very common and my supervisor on my vac scheme made that move (and I know he has a lot of friends from Scotland who did) a year or two into their qualification so it's definitely doable and is a lot more common than you think! :)

• Love
    Reactions: Selggib16

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.