2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

amcha595

Sep 3, 2020
Hey there, I've just received the online test invite and was wondering if you could let me know more about the format :) Is it a full WG or more SHL Verbal Reasoning style? I can't find any specifics without opening the test itself

Just checked and it’s a Watson glaser - my worst nightmare

whisperingrock

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
  • Sep 12, 2020
    Just checked and it’s a Watson glaser - my worst nightmare
    Try jobtestprep. Its a bit pricey but some GDL friends and I chipped in together to pay for it and it come down to a few quid each that way.

It has a lot of clear guides on each section of the WG and it also has really good practice tests which explain why an answer is right or wrong that make it so much easier to understand. I haven't "failed" a WG yet and I really credit it to how well the site worked for me.

NadineBusty

Valued Member
    Aug 21, 2019
    Has anyone applied to Reed Smith? Do you know what they mean by "Research Questions"?

Thanks!

I attended their OD today. So the initial application form is not assessed and SJT is sent to everyone who meets the minimum academic criteria. Only if you pass the SJT, you will be sent the application questions (=research questions). If you pass that stage, you will be invited to a strength based interview.

Hope that helps...

Imababysolicitor

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Oct 9, 2019
    I attended their OD today. So the initial application form is not assessed and SJT is sent to everyone who meets the minimum academic criteria. Only if you pass the SJT, you will be sent the application questions (=research questions). If you pass that stage, you will be invited to a strength based interview.

Hope that helps...

Hey! Can I ask if they said how you would know if you passed the sjt? Or when they plan on progressing people? Thanks!

SLKEJRWOI97

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 22, 2020

Hope that helps...

Hey! Thanks for getting back to me!

Do you know what kind of questions they are?

M1999

Legendary Member
    Nov 28, 2019
    Rejection from sidley for winter, however they said my application impressed them and they are going to contact me in January if I’ve been selected to interview for spring & summer.
    anyone know if this is a generic email?

• 🏆
    Reactions: Alexa.159 and OB

Manifesting

Esteemed Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Sep 11, 2020
    Rejection from sidley for winter, however they said my application impressed them and they are going to contact me in January if I’ve been selected to interview for spring & summer.
    anyone know if this is a generic email?

No, it's not!! I know that the current outcome is disappointing but it is HUGE that your application is still being considered!!!!

Alison C

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Nov 27, 2019
    Hi! for this year's AG application, there is question about D+I: Diversity and Inclusion has moved up the agenda in recent years, what action should law firms be taking to ensure that they are creating a more diverse and inclusive workplace?
    Should I be giving ideas that AG is not currently implementing? Or, as they don't actually mention the firm in the question, should I be giving generic advice that would apply to any law firm?
    Hi Tanvi, I'm no expert, but I'd guess this is a chance to state the general approaches of a number of firms, including WHY you know it to be key to long-term success for a firm. Plus if you can include initiatives they are involved in/introducing/implementing, that will gain you some points.

And you really need to reflect on the non-superficial, non-box-ticking aspects of this. What does diversity mean to you? Can you see any issues that a more diverse (ie less homogenous) workplace cohort might present? What is inclusion and how is it linked to diversity? Are they actually the same thing or definitely not? What do you feel about quotas? Can you give examples of where talent that might have been missed has won through? What does it take? And why has it moved up the agenda?

Sorry, I'd imagined I would be giving you an answer rather than more questions... but that's how I'd interpret the q.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.