2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esteemed Member
Dec 15, 2018
I've just been told it's a BCLP bespoke SJT
Hi thank you for this information. Do you mind me asking who informed you?
Also do you have any idea if it’s a timed test and any more information on the test format (eg is it a video one like A&O, ranking the options etc) sorry for multiple questions!

lawgirl1234

Star Member
Oct 20, 2020
Hi thank you for this information. Do you mind me asking who informed you?
Also do you have any idea if it’s a timed test and any more information on the test format (eg is it a video one like A&O, ranking the options etc) sorry for multiple questions!

A current trainee gave that info. It may be worth contacting grad rec to confirm this/ask if it's timed as I don't know any more than the type of test it is, sorry!

OH

Star Member
Future Trainee
Nov 24, 2018
A current trainee gave that info. It may be worth contacting grad rec to confirm this/ask if it's timed as I don't know any more than the type of test it is, sorry!

I am doing atm, it's not timed but they 'suggest' it will take 45 minutes. It looks like there are 30 questions and, based on the intro info box anyway, you can complete it in multiple sittings. Structure wise it's very similar to the Linklaters one where u rank responses after reading a scenario/mock emails. Best of luck.

EDIT: just finished it and there's also a critical thinking section at the end similar to watson (25ish questions with 8 passages) - assumptions, conclusions follow and then deductions. Personally I found it harder than watson, but that was throughout both parts of the test because the questions/answer choices quite vague.

Last edited:

Cho

Aug 8, 2020
I am doing atm, it's not timed but they 'suggest' it will take 45 minutes. It looks like there are 30 questions and, based on the intro info box anyway, you can complete it in multiple sittings. Structure wise it's very similar to the Linklaters one where u rank responses after reading a scenario/mock emails. Best of luck.

Amazing, thank you so much for this info :) Best of luck to you too!

M1999

Legendary Member
Nov 28, 2019

EDIT: just finished it and there's also a critical thinking section at the end similar to watson (25ish questions with 8 passages) - assumptions, conclusions follow and then deductions. Personally I found it harder than watson, but that was throughout both parts of the test because the questions/answer choices quite vague.
Thanks for this info. Kind of bummed they reintroduced tests, I really don’t do well on them :( good luck!

• 🤝
Reactions: OH

cryingoverTCs

Legendary Member
  • Mar 1, 2020
    Do you know when they hold AC's for the summer vac scheme?
    Hi Ria, I'm not too sure about this, but I can ask my contact in grad rec for you and get back to you!
    Hi Tanvi, when do u expect we can start hearing back from BCLP? I applied back in September and radio silence since then. Also, I am confused does BCLP have a online test? Some people have said they dont but the website says otherwise. Thanks :)
    Hi! Although BCLP is rolling basis, they tend to start looking at apps in Nov/Dec time so they have probably only just started looking. However, please take this with a pinch of salt, as I have not asked them if they have started looking yet!
    There is currently a test, here is an outline of the current application process: (attached)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-11-06 at 16.47.59.png
      Screenshot 2020-11-06 at 16.47.59.png
      123.5 KB · Views: 103
    Reactions: FC

dollyparton

Nov 17, 2020
    Hello! Does anyone who is applying to Mishcon de Reya know what grad recruiters are looking for on the
    "Is there anything else you would like to add in support of your application?" question?

My first guess was that you're meant to talk more about yourself and the skills you can bring to the role. But this question is also in its own section (separated from the other application questions on why law / why mishcon / your passions etc, which are in the same section), so now I'm thinking it might be a space for candidates to explain any mitigating circumstances etc...

Thanks in advance

SRW

Star Member
    Mar 11, 2019
    After a week of anxiously refreshing my email, I got the Jones Day Winter VS! The Friday 'yes' theory is standing strong here.
    Thank you to the lovely people who I spoke to in my PMs - routing for you too :)

My mum had put a bottle of champagne in the fridge on Monday in anticipation- I thought she'd jinxed it but turns out I'll be sippin' tonight haha. Thank you @Jaysen and @Jessica Booker for this wonderful platform. More than happy to pay it forward to anyone else wanting advice.

M1999

Legendary Member
    Nov 28, 2019
    After a week of anxiously refreshing my email, I got the Jones Day Winter VS! The Friday 'yes' theory is standing strong here.
    Thank you to the lovely people who I spoke to in my PMs - routing for you too :)

My mum had put a bottle of champagne in the fridge on Monday in anticipation- I thought she'd jinxed it but turns out I'll be sippin' tonight haha. Thank you @Jaysen and @Jessica Booker for this wonderful platform. More than happy to pay it forward to anyone else wanting advice.
    So happy for you! Congratulations :)

• 🏆
    Reactions: SRW and OB
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.