2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

M1999

Legendary Member
Nov 28, 2019
AG's question asks
Diversity and Inclusion has moved up the agenda in recent years, what action should law firms be taking to ensure that they are creating a more diverse and inclusive workplace?
Because it says 'action' and not 'actions' should we only talk about one initiative, rather than a couple. The word count is around 350 words

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    After a week of anxiously refreshing my email, I got the Jones Day Winter VS! The Friday 'yes' theory is standing strong here.
    Thank you to the lovely people who I spoke to in my PMs - routing for you too :)

My mum had put a bottle of champagne in the fridge on Monday in anticipation- I thought she'd jinxed it but turns out I'll be sippin' tonight haha. Thank you @Jaysen and @Jessica Booker for this wonderful platform. More than happy to pay it forward to anyone else wanting advice.

Ah Seren, I'm so happy for you - so thoroughly deserved!

• 🏆
    Reactions: SRW

Jony

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Oct 19, 2020
    AG's question asks
    Diversity and Inclusion has moved up the agenda in recent years, what action should law firms be taking to ensure that they are creating a more diverse and inclusive workplace?
    Because it says 'action' and not 'actions' should we only talk about one initiative, rather than a couple. The word count is around 350 words

As a BAME applicant I always ask law firms what they're doing to retain diverse talent, rather than what they're doing to recruit - so I emphasise that creating an inclusive environment that incentivises people to *stay* with the firm is, arguably, even more important than pulling in 40% BAME trainee intakes and then having half of them leave because of poor experiences with implicit/explicit bias etc. (that's not to say that law firms haven't been trying - it seems like they really are! will take a few years to see the diversity percentages go up).

You can talk about the need for workplace groups, networks (plenty of law firms have successful examples of this, esp Baker) and reverse mentoring. Plenty of other things relating to LGBTQ+, carers, mental health you could add on to. This example is BAME-specific.

One interesting thing I notice about more progressive law firms is that they're hiring Chief Diversity Officers, etc. And some law firms problematically don't have quotas - you can talk about this too. I quizzed about that at an AC and they admitted it was a structural issue that management was still sorting out (having no quotas).

Hope that helps!

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    AG's question asks

Good question - personally, I don't think AG intended to limit this to one. I feel they would have said 'What one action should law firms take...' if they really wanted to limit this to one, or they would have adjusted the phrasing of the question.

Normally though, I would stick to the phrasing of the question.

NK

Distinguished Member
    Jul 28, 2020
    After a week of anxiously refreshing my email, I got the Jones Day Winter VS! The Friday 'yes' theory is standing strong here.
    Thank you to the lovely people who I spoke to in my PMs - routing for you too :)

My mum had put a bottle of champagne in the fridge on Monday in anticipation- I thought she'd jinxed it but turns out I'll be sippin' tonight haha. Thank you @Jaysen and @Jessica Booker for this wonderful platform. More than happy to pay it forward to anyone else wanting advice.
    Well done! This is great news, best of luck :)

• 🏆
    Reactions: SRW

mab299

Mar 3, 2020
    Hello, I was wondering whether BCLP/Norton Rose has a negotiation exercise as part of their AC? Also, was wondering how this would work virtually? :)
    I know that last year NRF certainly did. I personally do not know whether they will do it in an online format this year, but also don't see why the couldn't. It was simply a case of going into a private room with your partner, reading some information, and then coming back to negotiate with another team whilst grad recruitment supervised. I think this could quite easily be done on zoom/teams using break out rooms, so may well still be a part of their process.

Kablahc

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Winner
  • Aug 31, 2020
    Does anyone have any idea what sort of score I should be aiming for on my WG?? It's my first time doing it - know it really varies from firm to firm, but when you guys are practicing them or doing them for real, what % do you all try to hit? I've been getting from high 60s % - high 70s % (on CCs i got 62% for lowest and 75% for highest categories), but this is my first time applying for firms that use WG for VS apps so unsure of what's considered a good score to aim for!!

Ricky

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Sep 16, 2018
    Does anyone have any idea what sort of score I should be aiming for on my WG?? It's my first time doing it - know it really varies from firm to firm, but when you guys are practicing them or doing them for real, what % do you all try to hit? I've been getting from high 60s % - high 70s % (on CCs i got 62% for lowest and 75% for highest categories), but this is my first time applying for firms that use WG for VS apps so unsure of what's considered a good score to aim for!!

Each firm's quartile benchmark varies - some by quite a bit. Just practice and get as good as you can. The actual score out of 40 isn't the only scoring mechanism. Time (at some firms) and question difficulty are also factors.

R1a01

Distinguished Member
    Nov 4, 2019
    Nor did I! Yes, it seems to be two part (although I still haven't finished it): 1)SJT 2) WG type questions. There's no time limit so I would have a good break in between. Word of warning: the WG questions are the hardest I've done. However, this could be because I am tired and hungry now.

How long did it roughly take for you to complete the WG section? I'm assuming both parts are equally long?

OB

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    Has anyone had a feedback report back yet after taking the BCLP test? Some firms send them instantaneously so wondered if that was the case for this one :)

Kablahc

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Winner
  • Aug 31, 2020
    Each firm's quartile benchmark varies - some by quite a bit. Just practice and get as good as you can. The actual score out of 40 isn't the only scoring mechanism. Time (at some firms) and question difficulty are also factors.

thank you! just taken it so hopefully i'll have done alright:)

Reactions: Ricky
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.