2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ava B

Sep 14, 2020
I just did the Gowling game and... I’m a bit annoyed tbh. My score wasn’t very good and it would be defeating to get rejected just because I’m not good at games. Does anyone know if they have a benchmark? Because I don’t think I got it
I am in the same position! At least our applications were good enough to get to this stage ☺️

M1999

Legendary Member
Nov 28, 2019
I don't think scores matter very much in these games. Have you received your report? I feel the recruiters will look more into your report than your test scores in these games.
I thought that but I spoke to someone last year who got rejected and they said they got rejected on the basis their score ‘didn’t reach the benchmark’. Hopefully they change it anyway :)

cogito ergo sum

Star Member
  • Nov 2, 2018
    I thought that but I spoke to someone last year who got rejected and they said they got rejected on the basis their score ‘didn’t reach the benchmark’. Hopefully they change it anyway :)
    I am not entirely sure. There's only one section called 'Aptitude' in my report which shows what percentile you are in. I feel this section corresponds to the critical reasoning game at the end. Maybe he/she didn't pass that game?

Kablahc

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Winner
  • Aug 31, 2020
    I am not entirely sure. There's only one section called 'Aptitude' in my report which shows what percentile you are in. I feel this section corresponds to the critical reasoning game at the end. Maybe he/she didn't pass that game?

Yeah I can confirm your 'aptitude' score comes from the critical reasoning game because I got my report for Taylor Wessing which didn't include any critical reasoning game and my report has no aptitude section :)

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    Got rejected from A&O vac scheme after being successful in the SJT.
    I have no idea where I went wrong. I researched well & got the application reviewed so many times. Applied early too.
    It really sucks how you don’t even get any feedback.
    I am truly sorry to hear this - I appreciate and empathise with how hard it can be, especially when you were happy with the application. I would recommend leaving it for now and just taking your time and maybe looking at it again with fresh eyes. I did this one app I felt had gone well but the time away from it helped me to see a couple of things I could have worked on and I really think that fresh perspective can help.

• 🤝
    Reactions: Aspiring.lawyer.to.be

Abgaal

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    May 24, 2019
    Got rejected from A&O vac scheme after being successful in the SJT.
    I have no idea where I went wrong. I researched well & got the application reviewed so many times. Applied early too.
    It really sucks how you don’t even get any feedback.
    I am sorry to hear this - do you mind me asking when you have applied.

ZaraB

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Dec 13, 2020
    I also just completed the game for Gowling... I also felt like I didn't do well, for some reason the score was not mentioned in my feedback report, but at the end of the game, it said I got around 7400 which I think is quite low... My aptitude score was average.

Reactions: Ava B
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.