2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ricky

Legendary Member
2020 Community Winner
Sep 16, 2018
I was wondering what the consensus is regarding using the same example for 2 application questions?

For example, I talked about my experience as President of my law society for the question 'what skills could you bring to the role of a trainee solicitor' but I am keen on using this example for the question of 'what roles of responsibilities have you held?'. I'm planning to use another aspect of what I did as President for the second question but just wanted to get some thoughts regarding reusing examples like this!

I think it is fine to use one position as you would have many examples of different activities within it to demonstrate different skills.

Reactions: Jessica Booker

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I was wondering what the consensus is regarding using the same example for 2 application questions?

For example, I talked about my experience as President of my law society for the question 'what skills could you bring to the role of a trainee solicitor' but I am keen on using this example for the question of 'what roles of responsibilities have you held?'. I'm planning to use another aspect of what I did as President for the second question but just wanted to get some thoughts regarding reusing examples like this!

mad long as you are talking about different things within the one “por” then it is fine.

matpart

Star Member
Jan 2, 2020
For the Baker McKenzie WG, does anyone know if they place a lot of emphasis on speed when calculating/reviewing the score? I don't usually ask for reasonable adjustments when I do the WG because I can get it done within the time limit, but I'm still pretty slow so I'm always racing against the clock and going over my answers until the last second. Should I notify them of this so they can keep it in mind when reviewing my performance or is it unlikely to have a big impact on my score?

Does anyone else feel like they put their answers as negative (i.e Assumption not made, Conclusion does not follow) way more frequently than positive for the Baker WG and WGs in general? Feel like this always happens to me and although I have passed some WGs before that was a while ago and I am not so confident in my decision making now!

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Does anyone else feel like they put their answers as negative (i.e Assumption not made, Conclusion does not follow) way more frequently than positive for the Baker WG and WGs in general? Feel like this always happens to me and although I have passed some WGs before that was a while ago and I am not so confident in my decision making now!
The only thing to say here really is that practice makes perfect and there are a fair number of free online tests which you can take to get better. The Clifford Chance free practice test is great - I did it so many times I ended up being able to track my answers and after that many goes I managed to get them all correct and the logic becomes much easier to appreciate and understand. Training your mind to understand the way you need to think is key to the WG I think!

Reactions: Edward

NK

Distinguished Member
Jul 28, 2020
Does anyone know what are the stages of a Jones Day Vac Scheme application? I recently got invited to a VI taking place in February. Are there any other stages in their application process? How can I best prepare for the VI?

Hey - congrats on the VI!! I also have an interview with Jones Day in January. I believe it’s just the partner interview and then a decision on whether they would like to recruit you for the vac scheme. Based on my preparation so far, I would highly recommend practising motivational style questions with a friend or family member to get used to the style of interview (it’s conversational based). These interviews can be quite difficult to prepare for as they could literally ask you anything, but just go over your application and try to learn your CV / work experience history really well as they will definitely ask you questions about that. Hope that helps and feel free to PM me :)

NA1998

Dec 16, 2020
Does anyone know what are the stages of a Jones Day Vac Scheme application? I recently got invited to a VI taking place in February. Are there any other stages in their application process? How can I best prepare for the VI?

Hi! Congratulations on getting through to VI!! Do you mind if I ask you when you applied and for which scheme? Thank you!

AS2000

Distinguished Member
Nov 15, 2020
Hey - congrats on the VI!! I also have an interview with Jones Day in January. I believe it’s just the partner interview and then a decision on whether they would like to recruit you for the vac scheme. Based on my preparation so far, I would highly recommend practising motivational style questions with a friend or family member to get used to the style of interview (it’s conversational based). These interviews can be quite difficult to prepare for as they could literally ask you anything, but just go over your application and try to learn your CV / work experience history really well as they will definitely ask you questions about that. Hope that helps and feel free to PM me :)
Thank you for the information! That is very good news, I was anxious about the process. Some firms put you through hell before inviting you to an Interview, it comes as a relief to be able to go to an interview directly instead of having to jump through 3-4 hoops! PS, which scheme did you apply for?

AS2000

Distinguished Member
Nov 15, 2020
Hi! Congratulations on getting through to VI!! Do you mind if I ask you when you applied and for which scheme? Thank you!
Thanks! I applied for the Spring Vac Scheme. I believe I applied around mid-November. I would highly recommend applying asap if you are interested as they recruit on a rolling basis. I had a few pre-interview rejections last year because the roles were filled up already.

• 🤝
Reactions: NA1998
Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.