2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GM

Jan 31, 2020
Just received a rejection from NRF for the Spring VS. Got to the telephone interview stage for Summer VS last year but failed to impress and I was really hoping I'd get another shot. Guess not.

For some reason this rejection hurts a lot more than the others. I know it's silly but it feels really disheartening investing all this time in researching firms etc and then getting rejected. Really makes it hard to see why you're putting yourself through this at times. Sorry for the negative post I just feel sad about it and need to vent.

SLKEJRWOI97

Legendary Member
2020 Community Winner
Junior Lawyer
Jan 22, 2020
Just received a rejection from NRF for the Spring VS. Got to the telephone interview stage for Summer VS last year but failed to impress and I was really hoping I'd get another shot. Guess not.

For some reason this rejection hurts a lot more than the others. I know it's silly but it feels really disheartening investing all this time in researching firms etc and then getting rejected. Really makes it hard to see why you're putting yourself through this at times. Sorry for the negative post I just feel sad about it and need to vent.

Hey!

Don't be sorry at all! It's so disheartening when you have your heart set on a Firm and do things to the book. I had this experience with Clifford Chance recently. I really thought I had a chance as non-priority candidates and as someone who did the AC with them last year.

The super important thing is to take some time out for yourself. It's so weird to say that bc it's an application but rejections and their associated feelings can get on top of you. When I got rejected from CC, I had a bit of sulk and then watched Star Wars (lol).

This is such a cutthroat process and one of the biggest skills isn't just too write good applications or have great commercial awareness, but it's to pick yourself up when these rejections happen.

We are SO SO much more than a rejection and if I'm honest, it's NRF's loss. Not yours.

Use this time to recuperate, however long you need. But remember to pick yourself up, dust yourself off and get back at the game. And try and see what you can do for the next application that you didn't do for this one.

Good luck and sending you lots of virtual comfort! :)

NK

Distinguished Member
Jul 28, 2020
Thank you for the information! That is very good news, I was anxious about the process. Some firms put you through hell before inviting you to an Interview, it comes as a relief to be able to go to an interview directly instead of having to jump through 3-4 hoops! PS, which scheme did you apply for?
Yes completely agree - I’m sure it will be fine! I applied for the Spring Vac Scheme

• 🤝
Reactions: AS2000

GM

Jan 31, 2020
Hey!

Don't be sorry at all! It's so disheartening when you have your heart set on a Firm and do things to the book. I had this experience with Clifford Chance recently. I really thought I had a chance as non-priority candidates and as someone who did the AC with them last year.

The super important thing is to take some time out for yourself. It's so weird to say that bc it's an application but rejections and their associated feelings can get on top of you. When I got rejected from CC, I had a bit of sulk and then watched Star Wars (lol).

This is such a cutthroat process and one of the biggest skills isn't just too write good applications or have great commercial awareness, but it's to pick yourself up when these rejections happen.

We are SO SO much more than a rejection and if I'm honest, it's NRF's loss. Not yours.

Use this time to recuperate, however long you need. But remember to pick yourself up, dust yourself off and get back at the game. And try and see what you can do for the next application that you didn't do for this one.

Thank you so much for taking the time to write these kind words. You're 100% right and I will pick myself up but today is my sulking day :p.

Good luck to you too :).

[edit] PS: Funny you mention CC, I got rejected last year and I remember being so sad about it! Chose not to re-apply this year but just thought that was funny. Guess NRF is this year's CC for me :').

AS2000

Distinguished Member
Nov 15, 2020

I feel for you, I had a similar experience last year with a different firm. Getting rejections after putting in a lot of work can be disheartening, but I am sure you will get into an even better firm!

Bugsy Malone

Legendary Member
Commercial Writer
Junior Lawyer
Jun 24, 2018
Hi everyone, is anyone having difficulties downloading the Arctic Shores software on their laptop? I'm prevented from downloading the software as my laptop is unable to check it for 'malicious updates' (apparently!)
Hey, I had a similar issue whilst trying to download it on my Mac. To resolve this I went into security and privacy settings, then clicked general tab and then there should be something that says you asked about the file to be opened and select open anyway. Hope that helps and good luck :)

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Hey!

I love this post and couldn't agree more - don't forget also, every candidate is so so much more than what can be reduced onto an online application portal - do not equate your self-worth with this process, you are all so much more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.