2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legal_rawn

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Dec 21, 2019
Do Jones day ask for everyone’s academic reference? I only submitted yesterday evening but they’ve already asked for it! It says once they’ve received my reference they’ll then review my application but that seems different to what I’ve seen said on the thread before

Jason S

Distinguished Member
Apr 3, 2020
I think we can collectively agree the weird Arctic Shores/SkyriseCity game is one of the worst things to come from the application process :confused:

Agreed! Not a fan of any psychometric assessments tbh.

For example the WG. Nobody, to the best of my knowledge, is inherently good at the WG test. You can’t just take it first time and smash it. You have to practice and learn exactly what each question means and the way to answer each section.

It doesn’t mean I’m now magically a better candidate for passing the WG, it simply means after practicing it I’m now good at the WG. Nothing about my character has changed.

But I remember reading on here that it’s apparently the best way to determine whether someone will be a successful lawyer or something so what do I know haha

Celestie

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    Agreed! Not a fan of any psychometric assessments tbh.

For example the WG. Nobody, to the best of my knowledge, is inherently good at the WG test. You can’t just take it first time and smash it. You have to practice and learn exactly what each question means and the way to answer each section.

It doesn’t mean I’m now magically a better candidate for passing the WG, it simply means after practicing it I’m now good at the WG. Nothing about my character has changed.

But I remember reading on here that it’s apparently the best way to determine whether someone will be a successful lawyer or something so what do I know haha

I find it confusing when firms claim 'we look for unique individuals' and then uses psychometric testing to choose personalities.

Don't claim you want people to be themselves when you literally force them to be categorised with weird tests which don't reflect them!

AH97

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jul 30, 2019
    Do Jones day ask for everyone’s academic reference? I only submitted yesterday evening but they’ve already asked for it! It says once they’ve received my reference they’ll then review my application but that seems different to what I’ve seen said on the thread before

Was about to ask the same thing! Very odd if they use a reference as one of the filters to initial review...

LS12

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Apr 22, 2020
    How did you find it? I am planning on completing it tomorrow morning!
    I really can’t tell. Quite similar to ones I’d seen online. Although some of the questions made me second guess myself. Time continued whilst reading the instructions which hasn’t been the case with some of my other WGs which surprised me. I’d deffo recommend practice practice practice.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: lozza_2

M777

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jul 15, 2019
    Anyone know how long Akin Gump take to get back to you post-app? I applied on the 17th December and their deadline is on 17th January, but not sure if I've missed the boat since they're already interviewing and making offers?

M1999

Legendary Member
    Nov 28, 2019
    Hi everyone, happy Christmas eve eve!

For the question: Give details of your prizes, positions of responsibility and other noteworthy achievements.
    Can we use a position of responsibility in a part-time job? Or is this strictly about school achievements and your positions in your society. :)
    Also, do we have to include prizes if the only ones we have are for grades at A Level?

aspiringlawyer004

Nov 8, 2020
    Question for the HSF AC, do they offer places after all the AC's have taken place or as they happen? Does it matter if I pick the last AC date?

as they happen - I got a vacation scheme with them last year and they let me know a few hours after the interview. They're also likely to give out more AC slots as they through the candidates, so the last slot isn't going to be the actual last AC date (unless it's in March or something).

Reactions: S72
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.