2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

jds555

Star Member
M&A Bootcamp
Sep 26, 2019
I haven't applied personally to L&W, but the general rules for building good structure in a response are always the same. I generally go about it like thius:

1: break down what the question is actually asking me
2: identify core parts that I'll need to include in the response and break down how they should each be separated
3: identify key examples to use for each section
4: work on each section of the response using the STAR response for examples and generally ensuring that everything you write is linked back to either the question or something relevant about the firm (eg, mission statement etc).

Hope this helps!

Hi Jacob, Many thanks for this and for your help with providing some well needed advice.

Reactions: Jacob Miller

eveh1784

Star Member
Jan 21, 2020
Would anyone mind sharing the competency-based questions you usually prepare for a VI? Additionally, I would be so grateful if anyone would be happy to share what you use as an example of a time you have been innovative?

Hey - rather than prepping specific q’s the best thing for me is prepping strong examples of situations in my work/extra curricular/ academic life and then matching up potential competencies with them. So I put an example down and then e.g. attach teamwork and leadership to them. It saves time and means that you’re really well versed in STAR analysis for competencies that will come up.

There are so many competencies but have a look online at what could come up/common competencies and collate them in a document attached to your examples.

Regarding innovation, an example I might use would be a change that I have suggested at work which has been implemented and has improved something, I.e. efficiency, client service etc.

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Must say, it's an absolute joy to see everyone's successes today! I'm delighted for all of you. To those that have had bad news, though- don't worry, it happens to all of us. It's not the end of the road and you only need that one "yes" to get the chance you need! Take some time out, take stock and analyse to see what you can improve. Come back fighting next time!

cmaj

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
  • Sep 18, 2019
    This is fab news, may I ask when you applied and which office?

I applied to the London office and submitted my application on 04 December. I submitted my WG on 07 December. :)

Thank you!! I’ve started doing a few practices and noticed this! Never thought I’d miss checking my answers like in the Watson glaser haha

Definitely! I thought the same - I'd always leave the tough questions until the end for the WG and come back but you cn't do that in this! The time is also shorted so just be careful. I practiced the test on the SHL website multiple times and in multiple different states e.g. first thing in the morning, late at night when I was tired. They provide you with your result for the mock so you can watch how you improve. :)

cmaj

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
  • Sep 18, 2019
    Anyone here done the PwC VI before/last year? Any tips for prep in advance would be appreciated :)

I did it back in 2019 and it's quite nice! I can't remember much but it was very long, almost an hour as far as I can remember. There was a difficult question at the end and quite a few competencies. I was successful so can try to dig out any notes for you but I'm not sure what I have. Sorry for not being any more help :(

Celestie

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    I did it back in 2019 and it's quite nice! I can't remember much but it was very long, almost an hour as far as I can remember. There was a difficult question at the end and quite a few competencies. I was successful so can try to dig out any notes for you but I'm not sure what I have. Sorry for not being any more help :(

Was the difficult question a commercial awareness related question? No no! Don't apologise, and thank you!

Celestie

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    The Withers application has this question:
    "Please give details of your current interests and activities including the nature of your involvement (60 words max) *"

What does is mean specifically by nature of involvement? Hours put in? Role?

Also hating this 60 work limit smdh

Cameron73

Dec 29, 2020
    Hey, I'm new to this site so don't know if this is where I would post this- can't find any other discussion for Scots law students.
    Is there anyone here applying for 2021 Vacation Schemes in Scotland?

ml385

Mar 28, 2020
    With the Withers application what approach have people taken given that all the questions are limited to 60 words? It is a different approach to any I have seen before so don't really know where to start

Hi Rhiannon! With this style of questioning, they're really looking for you to be clear and concise so don't be thrown off by the word limit! It's basically a more condensed version of the STAR technique :) A few things I did to prepare for these types of questions:
    • Have a general list of activities/examples where you can demonstrate skills such as commercial awareness, team work, why law etc.
    • Try and pick out key elements for each question i.e. if it's asking to demonstrate team work state what the activity/situation was, what your role was and then what the overall outcome was
    • For each answer, make sure you conclude in a positive way to demonstrate what you achieved/how pivotal your role was
    • Approach each answer with 3 key points to make sure you can stick to the word limit and that you're using the same structure throughout which should make answering these questions easier :)
    Happy to help if you need anymore tips and good luck! x

Reactions: Zoo
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.