Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    "Please provide details of your activities and interests."
    Is this a bullet point situation or am I expected to give little blurbs?
    I typically give little blurbs depending on the word count. My perception was that short blurbs are a bit more involved, so read better on the application, but also leave plenty to be discussed at interview. @Jessica Booker will probably be able to add more here!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I typically give little blurbs depending on the word count. My perception was that short blurbs are a bit more involved, so read better on the application, but also leave plenty to be discussed at interview. @Jessica Booker will probably be able to add more here!

Think it really depends on word count and what you have to say. Can also be a hybrid - certain things that have more content could be blurbs, while factual activities with little to talk about (eg membership of societies, attending conferences) can just be listed as bullet points.

Reactions: Jacob Miller

Dwight

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Dec 21, 2019
    For the new BCLP test, is the SJT section a whole new test from the critical thinking part? So do you complete the SJT section and go to a new link for the critical thinking section or is it all in one go?

OB

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    For the new BCLP test, is the SJT section a whole new test from the critical thinking part? So do you complete the SJT section and go to a new link for the critical thinking section or is it all in one go?
    It’s similar to the Linklaters test as there’s different sections within tiles that you click on from the Home Screen. So it is somewhat separate as you click a separate section to do it, but it’s not like you have two separate test links and can do them completely separately if that makes sense!

Dwight

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Dec 21, 2019
    It’s similar to the Linklaters test as there’s different sections within tiles that you click on from the Home Screen. So it is somewhat separate as you click a separate section to do it, but it’s not like you have two separate test links and can do them completely separately if that makes sense!

Ok thank you for letting me know. But since they are in different tiles as you mentioned, I can do them at different times if I wish right?

OB

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    Ok thank you for letting me know. But since they are in different tiles as you mentioned, I can do them at different times if I wish right?
    I'm pretty sure you can't click off the test and complete it in separate sessions. So you could maybe take a few mins between finishing the SJT questions and reading the instructions for the critical thinking, but not clicking off and doing it at a different time completely.

Reactions: Dwight

M1999

Legendary Member
    Nov 28, 2019
    rejection from NRF post WG test. Really do not know what I am doing wrong with these tests, I practice lots on assessment day, have a critical thinking book and do well in practice tests but can't seem to replicate this in the real thing! :(
    For the WG, you shouldn’t overthink it and I honestly don’t think you should resort to cheat sheets because these really confused me more. Some general tips that really helped me:
    1) for the inferences section, true is still beyond a reasonable doubt & probably true is where you can bring in other knowledge that was slightly alluded to but cannot say for certain.
    2) for the interpretations, the conclusion must follow beyond a reasonable doubt. All this means is that there is no other reasonable explanation you can draw from the passage. However it’s not absolutely or necessarily.
    3) for deductions, what really helped me is writing it down. Usually deductions is like All girls eat on Saturday. Only pizza is ate on Saturday. Therefore: all girls eat pizza on Saturday. Then does this make sense? If all girls eat on a Saturday, but they only have pizza on the Saturday, then it can be concluded that this statements true
    4) for assumptions, I always look at it as if ‘does this piece of information rely on this other piece of information?’ Or ‘do I need this piece of information to get to that conclusion?’
    5) arguments: cannot be just a statement; usually will weigh up a benefit or a risk associated with it and it has to answer the most relevant part of the question

I know I kind of contradicted myself there; but I would simplify each of the rules in a line or two like I’ve just done and then start doing the practice questions (Clifford Chance, BCAT) and see if your grade improves! :) I would recommmend sticking to the Pearson questions as well

IzzyAn_na

Aug 13, 2020
    I just applied for the DLA Piper summer internship, do they only send the Watson Glaser link after reviewing the application form or does everyone get to do it?
    They told me they send them out every Friday to whoever applied to week before! (Because I applied late on Friday and waited a full week before being sent one!)

Haz

Legendary Member
  • Dec 28, 2020
    I just applied for the DLA Piper summer internship, do they only send the Watson Glaser link after reviewing the application form or does everyone get to do it?
    Everyone gets sent the WG! If you meet the benchmark, they then go through your application. So if you don't reach the WG benchmark, your application isn't checked. :)

H48

Star Member
    Oct 9, 2020
    In their VS application form, Dentons asks if you've ever applied to them before and "if unsuccessful please include details of how you have developed since." I was unsuccessful for the 2022 direct training contract application, which was obviously quite recent so I haven't had much time to "develop." I've made a big effort to improve my standard of applications through TCLA, attending commercial awareness webinars etc, but is that appropriate to put on the form?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.