2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

M777

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jul 15, 2019
Messed up my Kirkland VI :( stumbled on my words twice ...
I did a video interview a couple of months ago where I stumbled during my answer. I impulsively explained out loud that I'd stumbled, in an almost apologetic way, and spend a good 5-10 seconds trying to say something coherent.

I still got through to AC. You'll be fine.

• 🤝
Reactions: CMD, Fran, Dheepa and 4 others

sabma

Esteemed Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 22, 2018
Hey guys,

On the Skadden app, did we get a chance to specify whether we wanted to do Spring or Summer? I submitted quite a while back and cannot remember having the option to select a scheme. I made a new account the other day just to look at the app again to see whether the option was there and I couldn't see it.

Emily K

Valued Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Dec 29, 2018
Hey guys,

On the Skadden app, did we get a chance to specify whether we wanted to do Spring or Summer? I submitted quite a while back and cannot remember having the option to select a scheme. I made a new account the other day just to look at the app again to see whether the option was there and I couldn't see it.

I don't think so, have looked back at mine and it just says applying for 2021 Vacation Scheme!

• ℹ️
Reactions: sabma

NikkiT

Legendary Member
Oct 2, 2020
If anyone has applied to Eversheds Sutherland, any advice on what sort of thing to put in response to the following would be so appreciated! :)

'Please detail all your positions of responsibility including, title, date and a brief description. Please separate each position with a bullet point.'

There is a separate work experience section so unsure what they are looking for here!

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    If anyone has applied to Eversheds Sutherland, any advice on what sort of thing to put in response to the following would be so appreciated! :)

'Please detail all your positions of responsibility including, title, date and a brief description. Please separate each position with a bullet point.'

There is a separate work experience section so unsure what they are looking for here!
    Hi Nikki,

There's no need to over-think this one- all it's really asking for is examples of times when you have taken on a responsible position within a wider activity or incident. They don't all have to be law-related, either. In the short descriptions that accompany each item, try and show the skills that would be the most transferrable (and relevant) to a career in commercial law.

For context, I used examples such as:
    - Captain of debating team
    - Bar Mock Trial team captain and mentor
    - Student body year group representative

Etc, etc. The way I tended to think about this section was for stuff that wouldn't really justify a space in the 'work experience' category but showed that I was still a well-enough rounded candidate with a variety of interests and experiences.

Very best of luck with your application!

• 🤝
    Reactions: NikkiT

Lauren

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Nov 16, 2018
    Hi Nikki,

There's no need to over-think this one- all it's really asking for is examples of times when you have taken on a responsible position within a wider activity or incident. They don't all have to be law-related, either. In the short descriptions that accompany each item, try and show the skills that would be the most transferrable (and relevant) to a career in commercial law.

Etc, etc. The way I tended to think about this section was for stuff that wouldn't really justify a space in the 'work experience' category but showed that I was still a well-enough rounded candidate with a variety of interests and experiences.

Thank you! Should this answer also have a strengths based focus? For example, should we talk about what energised us during that experience?

NikkiT

Legendary Member
    Oct 2, 2020
    Hi Nikki,

Thank you, this is really helpful! :)

Reactions: Jacob Miller

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Thank you! Should this answer also have a strengths based focus? For example, should we talk about what energised us during that experience?
    That wouldn't be wrong per se, but it does tend to run the risk of answers becoming more extended than they're looking for in this section ("brief description"). I would tend to err on the side of keeping things more factual with a brief outcome description. Harking back to my "debating team" example from earlier, I would tend to do something like:

- Debating Team Captain (2013-2017)
    Organising debating competitions with other teams, mentoring younger debaters, taking part in competitive debates at National level. Using a combination of leadership and teamwork skills to lead in a collaborative and laissez-faire manner, fostering better team atmosphere and leading to success in a number of local and national competitions.

Obviously, from a stylistic point of view, it is entirely optional how you choose to write it (e.g., I have kept my sentences extremely snappy and 'to the point' in the above example, but only because I have already demonstrated my ability to write in full, developed, high-quality prose elsewhere in the application).

Remember, if you were to get to interview, these are the sorts of examples you may use to answer competency questions, so you don't want to have already given the firm screeds and screeds on them as it will seem like you have nothing fresh for the interview.

SLKEJRWOI97

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 22, 2020
    Hi all,

Debevoise and Milbank have a deadline of 3 Jan 2020 on apply4law. Does this mean I have only the rest of today (3ish hours) or the rest of tomorrow also?

Milbank says "Applications will open on Thursday 1st October 2020 and the deadline is Sunday 3rd January 2021 at midnight."

Thanks!

NikkiT

Legendary Member
    Oct 2, 2020
    That wouldn't be wrong per se, but it does tend to run the risk of answers becoming more extended than they're looking for in this section ("brief description"). I would tend to err on the side of keeping things more factual with a brief outcome description. Harking back to my "debating team" example from earlier, I would tend to do something like:

- Debating Team Captain (2013-2017)
    Organising debating competitions with other teams, mentoring younger debaters, taking part in competitive debates at National level. Using a combination of leadership and teamwork skills to lead in a collaborative and laissez-faire manner, fostering better team atmosphere and leading to success in a number of local and national competitions.

Obviously, from a stylistic point of view, it is entirely optional how you choose to write it (e.g., I have kept my sentences extremely snappy and 'to the point' in the above example, but only because I have already demonstrated my ability to write in full, developed, high-quality prose elsewhere in the application).

Remember, if you were to get to interview, these are the sorts of examples you may use to answer competency questions, so you don't want to have already given the firm screeds and screeds on them as it will seem like you have nothing fresh for the interview.

Can I ask if you mentioned if you were a member of a society or just the captain or representative? Or even took part in a competition?

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Can I ask if you mentioned if you were a member of a society or just the captain or representative? Or even took part in a competition?
    I only mentioned if I took a position of responsibility within the society- for example, I was a part of my Uni's law society but I didn't take on any positions of responsibility (apart from going out with them and getting blind drunk a few times, that's a responsible thing to do- right?), so I wouldn't mention it in an application.

In terms of specific competitions, I didn't really mention specifics unless ion interview (notwithstanding, for example, Bar Mock Trial as that's titular to the team!)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.