2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    I think that's a very unusual reading/ interpretation of my previous comment.

At no point did I ever say that applying to a firm that wasn't one's dream firm was wrong: to only apply to one's dream firm would be grossly impractical, I think to presume that this is what I meant is borderline fallacious.

There is a world of difference between applying to multiple firms and having a preference between them versus applying to a regional office of a firm whose London office you'd like to work at and who you've got zero desire to attend notwithstanding the hope that it will somehow put you at an advantage to other candidates who have applied to the London office. One is making a logical series of steps to maximise the chances of securing a job in a crowded market. One is trying to cheat the system at the expense of others. Everyone reading this thread knows that, and you've now been told enough times that you should probably come to the same conclusion.

Even if it weren't morally reprehensible, you've also been told exactly why and how it would fail in practice too. Continuing to be dogmatic about the issue isn't making you look particularly clever or admirable.

M777

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jul 15, 2019

I'm sure many have thought that they can outsmart the system in the way you're suggesting, but as Jessica and Jacob have both made clear, it is very unlikely to work. It raises two issues. Not only does it assume that regional firms are less competitive, but it also raises questions about integrity. Regional offices pour intense time, effort and funds to hold vacation schemes for their students. This is an investment, since vacation schemes are essentially a prolonged job interview for candidates with potential to work at that office long-term. Shouldn't this investment be saved for students with a genuine interest in working for that firm, in that particular office?

The best way to get a training contract you're after is by doing the tried-and-tested process, which is to get a vacation scheme at that firm in its London office. The forum team are being fair and reasonable by giving you this advice.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

I get you’re peeved on this but the language is unnecessary and also shows how much you misunderstand how things work on here. We are here to help candidates, not grad rec. Our forum members are independent freelancers here to make the forums the best they can be - they aren’t representatives of firms.

Celestie

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020

I don't like to interject but I think perhaps it would be best you log off for the rest of the evening. It appears you are getting stressed out and its best not to take it out on people who are trying to help.

Shout out to Jessica and Jacob, thank you for being helpful as always.

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    You might consider me a "hired goon", but I'm the one here with a TC having had multiple VS offers taking my time to help others- including yourself, in spite of your rude attitude. I do hope you can temper it in time for any interviews you get, because in my experience, most interviewers can see through someone with ulterior motives and callow attitudes from a mile away.

Last edited:
    • 🤝
    Reactions: AlRJ, cmaj, CMD and 19 others

w2719a

Star Member
    Sep 9, 2019
    You might consider me a "hired goon", but I'm the one here with a TC having had multiple VS offers taking my time to help others- including yourself, in spite of your rude attitude. I do hope you can temper it in time for any interviews you get, because in my experience, most interviewers can see through someone with ulterior motives and callow attitudes.

Apologies on behalf of this forum member for using such vulgar language. Jacob has a wealth of experience and knowledge which he loves sharing to help people. He does not deserve to be treated in this way, nor does Jessica.

I know it can be disappointing if you had spent time trying to come up with a plan that was logical in your mind but Jacob and Jessica were only trying to save you time and effort while bringing you in touch with reality.

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    @Jacob Miller @Jessica Booker well handled guys as ever - having seen that the forum member has deleted their comments maybe your words of wisdom have finally got through!
    One can dream...

Just a shame some people have to try and ruin it for everyone else. Such is life, though! We move on :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    @Jacob Miller @Jessica Booker well handled guys as ever - having seen that the forum member has deleted their comments maybe your words of wisdom have finally got through!

It’s a shame to lose a member and all their posts when they decide that’s what they want to do. It seems they got a lot of their questions before tonight answered by so many other members, as well as the forum staff, so I suspect they benefitted from the TCLA community and that others benefitted from the information they provided on the forums too.

I actually hope they come back in time. I don’t enjoy conversations like that, but I don’t want it to lead to members leaving at the same time.

Celestie

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    On that note, I wanted to say that I have submitted my last VS application and will now be taking a little break!

Thank you so much for all your help and support, I will be back when/if I have any updates. Best of luck to you all, so happy + proud of you! :D

P.s. Me anticipating application outcomes:
    friends-scenes-funny-quotes-Favim.com-7095472.jpg

Kola

Legendary Member
    Sep 27, 2020
    Has anyone got any tips for the Gowling WLG VI?

1. There are four questions
    2. You will have 90 seconds to answer each
    3. You will have 3 minutes to read a question
    4. Once the 3 minutes is up, you will not be able to see the question (so make sure you read it well and have understood what the scenario is)
    5. I found that having a piece of paper nearby to bullet point some talking points helped structure my answers

• ℹ️
    • 🏆
    Reactions: Halima Ramjan, OB and Jessica Booker

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    On that note, I wanted to say that I have submitted my last VS application and will now be taking a little break!

Thank you so much for all your help and support, I will be back when/if I have any updates. Best of luck to you all, so happy + proud of you! :D

P.s. Me anticipating application outcomes:
    friends-scenes-funny-quotes-Favim.com-7095472.jpg
    Thank you very much for your helpful and uplifting contributions to the forum over the last few months @Celestie! Enjoy your break and fingers crossed good news is on its way to you soon :)

• 🤝
    Reactions: Jaysen, SF1234 and Celestie

NK

Distinguished Member
    Jul 28, 2020
    Does anyone know if Bates Wells recruits on a rolling basis? Currently trying to decide whether I should apply for their vac scheme or TC - would appreciate any help with this :)

geographytolaw

Oct 1, 2020
    Does anyone know if Bates Wells recruits on a rolling basis? Currently trying to decide whether I should apply for their vac scheme or TC - would appreciate any help with this :)

I think they do - I submitted my app back in November and received a WG in December. I haven't heard back about it yet so am doubtful about whether they've done any interviews or assessment days etc.

I'd say definitely apply - they only have one person working in grad rec and there's still quite a while until the deadline anyway.

NK

Distinguished Member
    Jul 28, 2020
    I think they do - I submitted my app back in November and received a WG in December. I haven't heard back about it yet so am doubtful about whether they've done any interviews or assessment days etc.

I'd say definitely apply - they only have one person working in grad rec and there's still quite a while until the deadline anyway.
    Ah perfect, I'll definitely apply then. I think I can only apply for the TC as the vac scheme dates clash with my GDL exams, unfortunately - thank you for your help!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.