2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

OB

Legendary Member
2020 Community Winner
Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    You can keep adding individual 'records' but as i said it's pretty unclear and there is nowhere to note overall mark. Did you just put your degree name and overall grade as an entry and leave it as that? I'm tempted to do that and then email them my breakdowns just in case
    If theres no way to enter individual modules then they won't need that information.

Lawgirl123

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Jun 22, 2020
    Yeah, I just put my degree title and selected 'predicted' 'first'.

I did balls up their work experience section because of the format though. I entered the 3 work experiences they asked for and then must have kept adding them (because it let me) and ended up with 6. I've been toying with emailing them asking if they can remove 3 but people have suggested I should just leave it. =/
    Really? Does it matter if you exceed 3 if it lets you? Ok perhaps I will do that then as it seems the most logical. However, I still find it a bit strange they don't want a grade breakdown per module.

Andrew M

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Jan 7, 2020
    Really? Does it matter if you exceed 3 if it lets you? Ok perhaps I will do that then as it seems the most logical. However, I still find it a bit strange they don't want a grade breakdown per module.
    One of my other applications didn't ask for individual module grades either (Irwin Mitchell, which had a very similar submission format).

With the work experience is that they specifically ask for 'up to 3' examples, so my concern is that I basically look like I can't follow simple instructions. Which I begrudgingly accept, since I gave double what they asked for. But given the amount of time I spent on the application, I hope that they won't PFO based purely on that...

Reactions: Lawgirl123

NikkiT

Legendary Member
    Oct 2, 2020
    One of my other applications didn't ask for individual module grades either (Irwin Mitchell, which had a very similar submission format).

With the work experience is that they specifically ask for 'up to 3' examples, so my concern is that I basically look like I can't follow simple instructions. Which I begrudgingly accept, since I gave double what they asked for. But given the amount of time I spent on the application, I hope that they won't PFO based purely on that...

Have you put more than 3 on the application? I have a lot more than 3 but haven't added more than what they've asked for.

OB

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    There is a way, it just doesn't seem very logical - you can keep adding individual records for each module but then there is no option to put overall grade and degree title
    Then that doesn’t seem like the way they want you to fill it in. Gowling was the same, you just put your degree result as a whole. No issues.

Reactions: ZaraB and Andrew M

Lawbour

Legendary Member
    Dec 25, 2018
    On that note, I wanted to say that I have submitted my last VS application and will now be taking a little break!

Thank you so much for all your help and support, I will be back when/if I have any updates. Best of luck to you all, so happy + proud of you! :D

P.s. Me anticipating application outcomes:
    friends-scenes-funny-quotes-Favim.com-7095472.jpg

Ok so this has really motivated me to get my final application done... I've been procrastinating around it for too darn long :rolleyes::oops:

Also, good luck with it all and you can have a well deserved rest for a while haja :D

• 🤝
    Reactions: CMD, thirdtimelucky and OB

Andrew M

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Jan 7, 2020
    Have you put more than 3 on the application? I have a lot more than 3 but haven't added more than what they've asked for.
    I've put six. When I was doing the application (in a Word document) I had three. Then when I came to uploading them, I forgot that it only asked for three because it allowed me to add more. So I ended up adding others. I only realised after I had submitted that that was what they had asked for.

Do you think I should email them? It says in the FAQ that you can ask them to change your work experience and education sections with additional info but I don't know if this means that they would remove excess info...

NikkiT

Legendary Member
    Oct 2, 2020
    I've put six. When I was doing the application (in a Word document) I had three. Then when I came to uploading them, I forgot that it only asked for three because it allowed me to add more. So I ended up adding others. I only realised after I had submitted that that was what they had asked for.

Do you think I should email them? It says in the FAQ that you can ask them to change your work experience and education sections with additional info but I don't know if this means that they would remove excess info...

I am still to submit which isn't ideal! I was just unsure as I usually have like 11 to add but I have only chosen 3. I would email if you are unsure/worried - please let me know what they say if you do!

OB

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020

I wouldn't email, it just highlights a mistake and tbh they might not care too much.

Andrew M

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Jan 7, 2020
    I wouldn't email, it just highlights a mistake and tbh they might not care too much.
    That's what everybody else has said. My own instinct it to take ownership of it - it was an honest mistake because of the odd format of the application. But then I've been punished in the past for being honest/doing the right thing, so...

NikkiT

Legendary Member
    Oct 2, 2020
    That's what everybody else has said. My own instinct it to take ownership of it - it was an honest mistake because of the odd format of the application. But then I've been punished in the past for being honest/doing the right thing, so...

They are going to see that you have included 6 anyway so I think do what you think is the best thing to do. If you think there is no point then maybe just leave it.

Reactions: Andrew M

lawgirl1234

Star Member
    Oct 20, 2020

I really doubt adding extra work experience will jeopardise your application. It's not like you've made a deliberate mistake/lied on your app. I'd personally leave it, I'm sure many have done the same especially as the format of the application wasn't clear at all!

Reactions: Andrew M and OB

Andrew M

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Jan 7, 2020
    I really doubt adding extra work experience will jeopardise your application. It's not like you've made a deliberate mistake/lied on your app. I'd personally leave it, I'm sure many have done the same especially as the format of the application wasn't clear at all!
    Yeah, I'm inclined to agree. I'm just stressing because I don't want my hard work to be undone by silly mistakes!

• 🤝
    Reactions: Zoo, lawgirl1234 and OB
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.