2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

jds555

Star Member
M&A Bootcamp
Sep 26, 2019
Interview with Sidley coming up this week which gives me nausea every time I think about it - otherwise just waiting. What about you? :)
Oh wow congratulations! I was going to apply to them but ran out of time as I had conflicting deadlines. At the moment only received a rejection from Links. Currently, waiting to hear on White&Case, Latham & Watkins and now Shearman & Sterling - I reckon I will get rejected from Shearman due to the quality of my application.

LS12

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Apr 22, 2020
    Hi guys, I’ve seen there’s a thread on this from 2018 but 8 don’t think anything has been shared more recently - does anyone have good resources on answering the question - where should we open an office?

Lily721

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 7, 2020
    Oh wow congratulations! I was going to apply to them but ran out of time as I had conflicting deadlines. At the moment only received a rejection from Links. Currently, waiting to hear on White&Case, Latham & Watkins and now Shearman & Sterling - I reckon I will get rejected from Shearman due to the quality of my application.
    I am surprised that no one seems to have heard from White&Case given that they recruit on a rolling basis and I know people who have applied months ago!

Reactions: dosblancos7 and ellwilsen

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Always been at a lost with female addressees, is ‘Ms or Mrs’ okay or is there a better alternative to using their first name?
    I would always use Ms as it's the most neutral and least presumptuous. For a man, I would always use Mr [Surname] unless I'm genuinely on first name terms with the person for whatever reason.

Also, it's not important at all, but when signing off a letter, "Yours sincerely" should be used when you are addressing the letter to a particular person; "Yours faithfully" should be used when a letter does not have a named recipient but is instead "Dear Graduate Recruitment" or "To whom it may concern".

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Always been at a lost with female addressees, is ‘Ms or Mrs’ okay or is there a better alternative to using their first name?

sometimes LCN makes it clear whether they are Mrs or Ms. But why Dear Jessica might be more appropriate than Dear Mrs Booker (which wouldn’t be correct in my case).

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Bugsy Malone and Adrian_Healey

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Hi guys, I’ve seen there’s a thread on this from 2018 but 8 don’t think anything has been shared more recently - does anyone have good resources on answering the question - where should we open an office?
    Great question! This can be tough to brooch as an answer. In my experience, the actual answer you give is only a small part of what they're actually looking for in your response. Much more emphasis here is on the reasoning you can give and the commercial understanding you show in that reasoning.

In terms of deciding on a particular place, there are loads of factors to consider. These are some of the initial points I'd want to think about:
    - Does the firm have a particular industry focus? If so, is there any location where the economy is linked to that industry or sector?
    - Has the firm recently undertaken work which involved a given jurisdiction but had to appoint external counsel? Is it a jurisdiction where they are likely to do more work in the future?
    - Is there a jurisdiction with a rapidly growing/ changing/ developing economy which will grow into a hub for commercial transactions?

You could also take a different frame on this answer- it's not something I've seen done super often, but if it's done properly, I see no reason why it wouldn't be just as valid:
    - Is there somewhere else in the UK that the firm could open up an office to run certain tasks in a more cost-effective manner for clients? For example, Norton Rose have the Newcastle hub for a lot of more labour-intensive work which it would be too expensive to do in London; Freshfields have a large proportion of their business services staff based in a Manchester office, CC have a Newcastle office etc. Look at some of the advantages/ disadvantages, risks and benefits associated with other UK offices and then compare this with the given firm's model and work- could they benefit from a move like that?

Celestie

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    Thank you, though I do not feel as though a congrats are in order as I am not sure I am suited to the interview style - which will cause issues.

Look at you! I am sure you will smash it - and dw about LL. And don't think like that, putting yourself down before you even start is not good for your health. Look after yourself, you are your own best friend and you wouldn't say to someone 'you're not gonna get it' before you have even done it.

• 🤝
    Reactions: Daniel Boden and jds555

ZaraB

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Dec 13, 2020
    Hi everyone, does any have any insight on how to approach the following question:

What advice would you give to a friend who wants to set up a business?

I would be really grateful for your thoughts!:)

Reactions: thirdtimelucky

Lumree

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Highest Rated Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 17, 2019
    Hi everyone, does any have any insight on how to approach the following question:

What advice would you give to a friend who wants to set up a business?

I would be really grateful for your thoughts!:)

That’s a very open ended question! Is this for an interview? Do you know anything about the business?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.