2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

21wajsz

Legendary Member
  • Dec 3, 2020
    Feel like I’m going crazy, I’ve heard nothing back from the 3 I applied to.

Applied for Links a few days before the deadline, scored 84 on the WG, and I don’t think my CAPP was bad either. Heard nothing from Freshfields or MdR.

I’m perfectly fine with rejection, it’s the waiting I can’t handle.
    Hi! How did you know your WG score? Did you ask the grad rec or is there a way to access it :))

HorsesForCoursesNeighNeighNeigh

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
    M&A Bootcamp
    Dec 1, 2020
    Anyone know when Travers, NRF and White & Case will respond for the summer VS?

@Jacob Miller perhaps you can help here having done Travers and NRF summer vac schemes.

Thank you.

Hi! I applied for Direct TC with NRF and got an email on the 12th Jan to say they would screen all TC apps (pre-WG) within the next 2 weeks (from that date). So I imagine they would look to do Vacs before this? I don't think I've heard anything from other direct applicants yet so they might be running a bit behind on Vacs, with the intention of finishing them soon?

E.A

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer
    Dec 11, 2019
    7th rejection this year. Most concerning is generally not even making it past app stage which I don’t understand as I have good grades from good uni, decent work exp and extra curriculars... no idea where I’m going wrong
    Have you tried to submitting your application for review here? I had the same issue and once I got it reviewed I finally started passing the first stage (with the same experiences)

awright11

Dec 6, 2020
    Hi! How did you know your WG score? Did you ask the grad rec or is there a way to access it :))
    I sent an email to [email protected] and just asked if it was possible to know what I scored!

I was convinced I failed it (I cried thru the last 10 questions and did them in about 40 seconds after getting bad family news) and just wanted to know what I got. I asked at 9pm and got an email back about 8:30am the next morning.

M1999

Legendary Member
    Nov 28, 2019
    I will, though it seems too late for this year sadly. Had it reviewed by ex partner of MC firm and got the green light. Clearly doing something wrong though
    I honestly think a lot of people who had good apps this year still got rejected. The apps this year seem so highly competitive, even demonstrated by the amount of people on the forums- and I think law firms aren’t exactly making up for it the higher competition by allowing more interviews/more places.

Phoenix for all

Distinguished Member
  • Feb 13, 2020
    For the work experience section, do you explain their responsibilities/job details in point form or paragraphs? I did point form for all my applications so far, still got to AC stage with Ropes and Gray last year so I thought it's fine. But then I was listening to a talk by Willkie's grad recruitment on Youtube last night and it seems that they expect it to be written in paragraphs so I am quite confused.

aspiringlawyer121

Standard Member
    Jan 20, 2021
    For the work experience section, do you explain their responsibilities/job details in point form or paragraphs? I did point form for all my applications so far, still got to AC stage with Ropes and Gray last year so I thought it's fine. But then I was listening to a talk by Willkie's grad recruitment on Youtube last night and it seems that they expect it to be written in paragraphs so I am quite confused.

After attending several law fairs and asking the same question, I found that firms generally prefer candidates to answer in continuous prose. So paragraphs seem better off because at least you know you won't be penalised for this no matter who the firm is.

Reactions: Phoenix for all and AH97

jds555

Star Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Sep 26, 2019
    Does anyone know anything about PWCs game? I have to do it as a part of the application plus, I have never done it before any hints or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Reactions: OB

whisperingrock

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
  • Sep 12, 2020
    7th rejection this year. Most concerning is generally not even making it past app stage which I don’t understand as I have good grades from good uni, decent work exp and extra curriculars... no idea where I’m going wrong
    If it makes you feel any better, I got rejected at app stage by 13 out of the 15 firms I applied to for winter vacs. It was the ones that didn't reject me that mattered in the end.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Also PFO from SPB, I applied in the same week as the deadline as well

I don't know about any of you but I found the rejection email quite patronising? Where it said "Unfortunately in this instance we did not feel your application demonstrated all of the above to the level required. Due to the volume of applications we have received, we are not in a position to offer you individual feedback on your application. However it may be possible for you to receive such feedback from a careers advisor at your university; they should be able to help you identify which areas can be improved and how best to achieve this." - I don't think they even read my application! I don't go to university, graduated years ago and have been working ever since... I know you sometimes you can go back to your university careers service, but I still found it a little patronising
    It’s a template email sent to everyone that is genuinely trying to help. Even as a graduate you’ll probably have access to your university careers service. Most universities will give you access to their services for somewhere between 3 years to indefinitely after graduation

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.