Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
could someone give me advice on an application question ''if you had £1,000 to invest in the stock market, what shares would you invest in and why''

You obviously want to try and find an organisation where the share price is only going to increase.

But what is your approach to investing? Are you going to pick something that may have slow and steady increases at a low risk, or go for something that is far more risky but you could make huge returns on (but that you could also lose your money on)?

Are you going to factor in dividend payments?

Are you going to invest in something you are more personally aligned to?

Are you going to invest in a company that you know more about?

Are you going to invest in an industry or market development you are genuinely interested in?

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    could someone give me advice on an application question ''if you had £1,000 to invest in the stock market, what shares would you invest in and why''
    My wheelhouse is currency investment as opposed to stocks and shares per se but, with my very elementary knowledge of the stock market, I would personally buy into the companies that have been hit worst by COVID - think cruise lines, travel in general, etc. Buy at the lows now and sell at post-recovery normalisation.
    Remember the rule with any sort of trading is buy low, sell high. Tesla etc might seem like an attractive buy, but you'd be buying massive highs which is always a bad idea because you don't know how long the bull run has left. If you were considering talking about Tesla, you'd probably want to mention waiting for the next dip as opposed to buying at current highs.

From a structure standpoint to answer this question, you want to ensure that you include your thought process and reasoning rather than just answer in the abstract.

Edit to add info which I should've included first time round :oops: : agree with everything Jessica mentions here - show reasoning across a variety of different planes is super important, considering ethical investing is also increasingly important.

Last edited:

thewaythecookiecrumbles

Distinguished Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 14, 2021
    Hi Hana,

Here's a little excerpt from my next Monday Article which deals with this sort of question:

Talking about your weaknesses can be very intimidating, and understandably so: when we are interviewing with a law firm, we want to show the best version of ourselves and present as attractive a candidate as possible. Being asked about your biggest weakness is designed to test your emotional intelligence and self-insight, as well as how you grow from personal flaws. There are a few key dos and don’ts when considering your response to this question, for example:

Do:
    • Choose to discuss a weakness which can be developed and improved with time
    • Be genuine: don’t try and ‘invent’ a weakness here, transparency in answering questions such as this is extremely important, and it is obvious when a candidate is not being transparent
    • Discuss how you have taken steps to identify and remedy this weakness, and what progress you have seen in yourself since taking those steps
    • Show your desire to learn and develop as a person in your response
    Don’t:
    • Say that you don’t have weaknesses, or that you’ve ‘grown out’ of them: this comes over as conceited and displaying a lack of emotional intelligence and self-insight
    • Try and frame a weakness as a positive: it is much more authentic to discuss a genuine weakness which you’ve recognised and worked on. It also displays a lack of insight
    • Use the “I’m a perfectionist” response… unfortunately, this is massively over-used and is viewed as a ‘cop out’ response. Try and be more innovative in your response to provide a more nuanced and unique answer
    Due to the fact that the structure to your response will vary considerably based on the example you choose to give, as such, it is extremely challenging to provide a useful mock answer. Just follow the above dos and don’ts and you’ll be in good stead!
    Thanks a lot, Jacob! Will definitely try to follow this in my answer.

Reactions: Jacob Miller

Dwight

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Dec 21, 2019
    Has anyone who applied to FF summer vs in Jan heard back?

Also @Jessica Booker how does grad rec give weighing to different sections of the app? What is the most looked at/given consideration? Grades, personal statement, work experience etc?

Lily721

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 7, 2020
    I am in the same situation. I tried to stay positive but then I saw someone on TSR that already had an interview and got offered a place on the spring scheme. So I am not really hopeful at the moment. 😞
    What, really? Do you have a link to the thread on TSR?

I saw that some people got interview invites, but I didn’t think they would be interviewing nor making offers until they have reviewed the majority of their applications. Like by the time they review all applications, they probably would have filled up all their vac scheme places :(

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Has anyone who applied to FF summer vs in Jan heard back?

Also @Jessica Booker how does grad rec give weighing to different sections of the app? What is the most looked at/given consideration? Grades, personal statement, work experience etc?
    Don’t know what it is now, but back in my day it was equal weighting on the following:

Written style
    Academics
    Work experience
    Extra curriculars
    Understanding on the firm

JayC

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 8, 2021
    For Simmons written exercise, I didn't click 'Finish' but let the timer run out as I checked over my answer. Afterwards I suddenly panicked and wondered if I needed to click 'Finish' to actually submit my answer or whether it will just take what I had in the answer box when the timer ran out?

D

Deleted member 3795

Ah I see! I did the SST too, but not sure what to think about my feedback report displaying my strengths.
    I'm the same. Though, I can't imagine seeing your lowest scoring strength is ever going to make someone confident. Hopefully, they come back soon as I suspect it's relatively easy for the firm to identify the applicants who align with their strengths from the SSTs.

Lilz

Esteemed Member
    Dec 16, 2020
    I'm the same. Though, I can't imagine seeing your lowest scoring strength is ever going to make someone confident. Hopefully, they come back soon as I suspect it's relatively easy for the firm to identify the applicants who align with their strengths from the SSTs.
    I know I am unsure what to think as my lowest scoring one was a team one and I know they value that. But, I know with SST’s your lowest scoring strength doesn’t necessarily mean it’s lower than other people’s strength in that area.

cmaj

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
  • Sep 18, 2019
    Okay I know nobody asked for a list this detailed but I went through my playlists and realised I couldn't just pick one or two artists or songs so here I am giving you a full breakdown of every pick me up/hype me up/motivational/inspirational song I love. I also love the thread idea and it's been an idea I've been sitting on myself for quite some time. I've got some motivational podcast and TedTalk recommendations too so will definitely look into making a huge thread with everyone's recommendations

Disclaimer: Most of these are rap/trap/hip-hop because that's what I listen to predominantly so if anyone looks at this and thinks I have trash music taste, I probably do but it's my trash and I love it anyway

1. Live your Life, T.I ft Rihanna - Rihanna telling you you’re going to be a shining star? How can you disagree with that?!

2. The Show Goes On, Lupe Fiasco - This whole song is filled with some of the most motivational stuff I’ve ever heard. My personal favourite: “I was once that little boy terrified of the world now I’m on a world tour" (Me imagining myself on secondment 😅 )

3. American Boy, Kanye - For all of you chasing that American firm private equity bag

4. Vivr Mi Vida, Marc Antony - Wish I understood all the lyrics but this was my go to hype song before interviews

5. Forever, Drake - Another go to pre-interview hype song. “Last name ever, first name greatest" = The energy we all need walking into interviews.

6. Written in the Stars, Tinnie Tempah - “Used to be the little kid that no one cared about, so you gotta keep screaming till they hear you out” (Me applying to the same firms after being rejected 9999 times before :rolleyes:)

7. Better Now, Post Malone - He’s singing about an ex but I’ve had law firm rejections that sting worse (only semi-joking here 😶)

8. Congratulations, Post Malone

9. Stronger, Kanye

10. All of the Lights, Kanye

11. Dancing in the Moonlight, Toploader - The ultimate feel good song, change my mind I dare you.
    LOVE IT!!!!! We definitely need a TCLA playlist of these!!!!

I would like to add:

Curtis Mayfield - Move On Up
    Hall & Oates - You Make My Dreams Come True

home video dancing GIF

• Love
    Reactions: Idlewild and Dheepa

GK8997

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Sep 25, 2020
    Does anyone know or know how to work out Baker McKenzie's core sectors? I've got their core practice areas down, but I always find sectors more tricky.
    I would suggest having a look at the firm's annual factsheet (it's in the same place the firm's annual report is)- it has standout sectors listed on it. I think 2019 it was energy, healthcare and tech and 2020 it was healthcare and tech?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.