2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

jd3447

Star Member
Jan 25, 2021
Is it too late to apply to BCLP? I just submitted my application, but i'm worried I left it too late!!! I've had no time as I work full-time so this was the earliest I could do it.
I’ll be applying on the deadline this year lol so I definitely hope not 🤣 they tend to get more competitive towards the end but they’ll still consider ur app if it’s gone in - def not too late

Reactions: Barami and Bugsy Malone

thewaythecookiecrumbles

Distinguished Member
Junior Lawyer
Jan 14, 2021
for a question at the end of a pre recorded interview that asks ‘anything else you’d like to add’ can I talk about why I’m interested in the firm (given that wasn’t already one of the questions?) or shall I focus strictly on me and do a why commercial law, or a competency. thankyou!!
I personally have talked about my personal interests and linked that back to the firm and the firm's culture. But I think anything that you felt you really wanted to talk about and will boost your interview would be good as long as you can incorporate the firm in your answer as well!

castrooo

Legendary Member
Sep 17, 2020
hey - what do you mean by cannot withdraw? just had a look at my portal and I can still see the 'withdraw' button! sorry if it's a stupid question x
If you can no longer withdraw your application, this may mean that the firm has already made a decision on your application (rejected it). But I am not an expert, I would suggest that you contact grad recruitment if you want an update on your application :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
How do i answer what's the least enjoyable thing about commercial law without sounding like I dislike the role in general?
You are only identifying one thing. It would be completely unrealistic for someone to like every aspect of a job. So I don’t think you can sound like you would dislike the role in general if you are only focusing your answer on one thing

chromaticaqueen

Star Member
  • Jan 12, 2021
    Hey gang!

Had a refreshing break from TCLA as the struggle of the application process, rejection and pandemic vibes was abit overwhelming - but I’m back and kicking! How is everyone?!

I made 4 VS applications so far and don’t think I’m going to make any more applications this year. It’s my first cycle applying as a non-law grad career changer and have gone for firms I truly like so not going to apply to anymore just for the sake of it. As a bit of an update if you’re waiting to hear:

I submitted summer VS app to Charles Russell Speechlys (CRS) 17th Jan - yet to hear back.

I submitted Taylor Wessing summer VS app on 7th Jan - invited to Game Assessment 12th Jan - completed 17th Jan: yet to hear anything more. Has anyone heard back post-game with AC invite? How many days from submitting game to hearing back if so?

I submitted Baker McKenzie summer VS app on 12th Dec - invited to Watson Glaser 22nd January - yet to complete. It’s my first WG - has anyone got any tips or threads on TCLA to help prepare for WG?

Applied for Mishcon Summer VS 23rd Dec - received a PFO rejection on 21st January. 🤢

that’s all from me!
    Thanks for any answers x

MzM

Valued Member
    Future Trainee
    Sep 11, 2019
    Hey gang!

Had a refreshing break from TCLA as the struggle of the application process, rejection and pandemic vibes was abit overwhelming - but I’m back and kicking! How is everyone?!

I made 4 VS applications so far and don’t think I’m going to make any more applications this year. It’s my first cycle applying as a non-law grad career changer and have gone for firms I truly like so not going to apply to anymore just for the sake of it. As a bit of an update if you’re waiting to hear:

I submitted summer VS app to Charles Russell Speechlys (CRS) 17th Jan - yet to hear back.

I submitted Taylor Wessing summer VS app on 7th Jan - invited to Game Assessment 12th Jan - completed 17th Jan: yet to hear anything more. Has anyone heard back post-game with AC invite? How many days from submitting game to hearing back if so?

I submitted Baker McKenzie summer VS app on 12th Dec - invited to Watson Glaser 22nd January - yet to complete. It’s my first WG - has anyone got any tips or threads on TCLA to help prepare for WG?

Applied for Mishcon Summer VS 23rd Dec - received a PFO rejection on 21st January. 🤢

that’s all from me!
    Thanks for any answers x
    For the WG - practice practice practice. I think it is 100% one of those tests where the more practice you do the better you get (underlying question of whether therefore this test is not that useful irl?? 🙃🧐)

There are a couple of free guides out there for each section. They all work slightly differently, so I always make sure to have my notes on each section in front of me so I can attack each part in the way its meant to be!

Also I find that if I try to read into the questions too much I get them wrong. So my tactic is to go with my gut at first and then use the spare Time to go over them to look for any glaring mistakes :)

D

Deleted member 3795

I know I am unsure what to think as my lowest scoring one was a team one and I know they value that. But, I know with SST’s your lowest scoring strength doesn’t necessarily mean it’s lower than other people’s strength in that area.

My lowest scoring strength related to explaining things - bit of a problem for a profession that involves explaining issues and solutions to clients! Hopefully, they will come back this week.

chromaticaqueen

Star Member
  • Jan 12, 2021
    For the WG - practice practice practice. I think it is 100% one of those tests where the more practice you do the better you get (underlying question of whether therefore this test is not that useful irl?? 🙃🧐)

There are a couple of free guides out there for each section. They all work slightly differently, so I always make sure to have my notes on each section in front of me so I can attack each part in the way its meant to be!

Also I find that if I try to read into the questions too much I get them wrong. So my tactic is to go with my gut at first and then use the spare Time to go over them to look for any glaring mistakes :)
    Great tips - tackling the practice today! Thank you so much. :)

• Love
    Reactions: MzM

RyanM1

Star Member
    Jan 4, 2021
    Hey gang!

that’s all from me!
    Thanks for any answers x
    Hey,

I'm also a non-law grad, so this process was new to me this year too!

For your first WG, I would advise alot of practice before doing it because there is a method behind each of the sections i.e. some require common knowledge and some you assume everything in the passage as fact. Clifford Chance have a great sample WG here: https://careers.cliffordchance.com/middleeast/your-career/law-grads-students.html

As for TW, I haven't heard back since the games either, and haven't seen many people posting on this forum saying they have.

Anything else, feel free to message me!

Ryan

Andrew M

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Jan 7, 2020
    Me as the list of firms that I'm waiting to hear back from is getting longer, when it feels like it should be getting shorter.

Tired Joe Biden GIF by Bianca Bosso

SouffléSouffléSoufflé

Valued Member
    Future Trainee
    Mar 17, 2020
    Just heard from Mishcon de Reya - apparently they are doing a case study exercise and then a separate interview.

"If you are successful, you will then be invited to a virtual interview on a subsequent day, which can then be arranged at convenient time for you. Candidates need to be successful at both the case study and interview to secure a vacation scheme"

Really surprised I got through to the next round - it's the first time I have passed a VI.

(I sent my application on the 20th October, and completed the VI on the 22nd December)

Last edited:

A.C

Nov 15, 2020
    Does anyone know how long HSF have taken to get back to people after AC? I had mine for summer vac yesterday and they said it could be on the day or the next morning; I've seen a lot of posts about people finding out on the day if they've been successful so not sure if the silence so far is indicative of anything.... the wait is agonising so if anyone has tips on how to deal with the anxiety that's also appreciated haha

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.