Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi All,

I just got offered the summer VS with JD (!!!), although I preferred Spring. In fact, I chose to interview earlier and took a last minute slot after someone cancelled in order to ensure that I had a better shot at the Spring VS. I'm a bit concerned because other firms I have applied to, or progressed with have overlapping schemes. Is it highly inappropriate to ask if it would be possible to be moved to the spring, if possible? Otherwise, I fear that this will be detrimental for any other firms that require a VS with them. Of course, I'd take the summer VS if they can't move me.

In the alternative, Bakers for example, has the same process for VS and TC applicants. I am in the process at VI stage, can I ask them to change my application to a direct TC?

Very confused, as I just don't know what the right thing to do is, and I'd like to have options given that I'm an international student.

Would appreciate any/all advice! Thank you. Do you have any advice @Jessica Booker @Jaysen

First of all, well done! That's fantastic news.

I have a feeling JD will have put you on the summer VS because they have filled up for spring. I can't say this for sure though. If you do want to request this, I don't see the harm in asking if you could be moved to spring. I'd make it clear when you speak with them that if this is not possible, you are absolutely fine with summer. If it was me, I would probably leave out that this was a result of a vacation scheme clash.

If that's not possible, you can then reach out to Baker McKenzie.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi All,

I just got offered the summer VS with JD (!!!), although I preferred Spring. In fact, I chose to interview earlier and took a last minute slot after someone cancelled in order to ensure that I had a better shot at the Spring VS. I'm a bit concerned because other firms I have applied to, or progressed with have overlapping schemes. Is it highly inappropriate to ask if it would be possible to be moved to the spring, if possible? Otherwise, I fear that this will be detrimental for any other firms that require a VS with them. Of course, I'd take the summer VS if they can't move me.

In the alternative, Bakers for example, has the same process for VS and TC applicants. I am in the process at VI stage, can I ask them to change my application to a direct TC?

Very confused, as I just don't know what the right thing to do is, and I'd like to have options given that I'm an international student.

Would appreciate any/all advice! Thank you. Do you have any advice @Jessica Booker @Jaysen
    Have you asked JD whether you can move to Spring? That’s ultimately your first step you need to take before trying to second guess what else might happen.

I’d speak to other firms once you are the final stage of the recruitment process and flag it to them then.

33c

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Winner
    M&A Bootcamp
    Aug 8, 2020
    The Pinsents GMA test was honestly the worst I've ever done, I'm devastated and crossing the AC date out of my calendar now because there's no way I've met the threshold😭
    You never know!! stay positive :)

can I ask when you applied?? Im waiting to hear back and I'm not hopeful ahaha

Reactions: cem

AA99

Forum Winner
    Jan 26, 2021
    The Pinsents GMA test was honestly the worst I've ever done, I'm devastated and crossing the AC date out of my calendar now because there's no way I've met the threshold😭
    I did this test last year and found it incredibly tough and thought I'd have no chance of getting through. I ended up getting through and at the AC they just basically said that it's meant to challenge you, that's why they use it! So you've definitely got a chance

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Edward and Andrew M

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Me @ Richard Capper from Hill Dickinson saying at a Legal Cheek event that they've had even more applications this year than previous years.
    Season 2 Omg GIF by Rick and Morty
    I mean as a result of Covid and all the redundancies that people have been given especially in grad roles in other industries, sadly that's to be expected. This is going to be the most competitive recruitment cycle for a long time unfortunately :(

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.