2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

kr253

Esteemed Member
Junior Lawyer
Jan 20, 2021
Do people think there is any point applying to Forsters for their VS this year? I applied for direct TC last year, and they've still got recruitment on hold, but in their last email they said we're welcome to apply for the VS this year anyway. The application form is identical to the one I did last time so not sure if there's really any point...

Staples

Legendary Member
  • Sep 11, 2020
    Is it worth chasing mishcon if people have been invited to case study and I still haven’t heard post app? Someone reassure me pls🤣
    Very tempted to do the same given that I’ve heard absolutely nothing since I applied in September (!!!) - ofc I know it’s a silent rejection but I’d like some closure 😅

Flora2580

Aug 8, 2020
    Do people think there is any point applying to Forsters for their VS this year? I applied for direct TC last year, and they've still got recruitment on hold, but in their last email they said we're welcome to apply for the VS this year anyway. The application form is identical to the one I did last time so not sure if there's really any point...
    I'm in the same position as you, but I've decided to withdraw last years app and reapply for the the VS this year as I realised I can make significant improvements on my app. So I guess it depends if you think you can improve on your previous one :)

Reactions: kr253

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    @Jaysen by any chance do you have any Shearman interview advice/areas to focus on?

My interview was a long time ago so it won't be much use here, but I'd highly recommend checking this thread out as a starting point if you haven't done so already: https://www.thecorporatelawacademy.com/forum/threads/shearman-sterling-interview-2019-2020.2284/. It may be that your interview is very different to these, but I think it's useful anyway.

Depending on what you've been told to expect, here's a few more generalised tips:

- I'd go over your application with a red pen and imagine you're the assessor. What questions would you ask yourself? e.g. If not law, why did you choose X degree? What was your favourite module at university? Why did you pursue work experience at Y?
    - Try to think carefully about how the firm fits into your application strategy. Practise answers to these types of questions: Where else you are applying? How is Shearman & Sterling different to those firms? How is Shearman & Sterling different to US and the magic circle law firms? I get the impression that they are very big on 'why us?'.
    - Make sure you are being very personal and specific about your motivations - try to work out if your reasons are really your reasons, or whether they're something you've picked up reading online/from other people.
    - Go through all of your experiences and think about your most unique selling points. Try to also prepare examples for a range of competencies.
    - Shearman & Sterling has a ton of content with advice for candidates. If it was me, I'd watch all of their videos/Whiteboard Wednesdays content.
    - Go through this list: https://www.thecorporatelawacademy.com/175-training-contract-interview-questions-2/. Try to read a question and practise immediately answering the question aloud, as if you were actually in the interview. It would be even better if you could record your performance.
    - Try to find someone to give you a mock interview (even if it's just a family member). Ultimately, one of the best ways to practise for an interview is to simulate the real thing as much as possible.

AS2000

Distinguished Member
    Nov 15, 2020
    Latham said candidates should hear back by mid-February.
    White & Case has started to slowly get back to people.....though it seems to be taking a while, considering they are on a rolling basis.
    With regards to Latham, I have seen 2 people on TCLA getting VI invites. Does the mid-February deadline mean that those who will receive rejections should expect to hear by then? I am already distressed by their silence as it was my dream firm and I had even attended an open day with them earlier this semester.

bethbristol

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Oct 30, 2019
    My interview was a long time ago so it won't be much use here, but I'd highly recommend checking this thread out as a starting point if you haven't done so already: https://www.thecorporatelawacademy.com/forum/threads/shearman-sterling-interview-2019-2020.2284/. It may be that your interview is very different to these, but I think it's useful anyway.

Depending on what you've been told to expect, here's a few more generalised tips:

- I'd go over your application with a red pen and imagine you're the assessor. What questions would you ask yourself? e.g. If not law, why did you choose X degree? What was your favourite module at university? Why did you pursue work experience at Y?
    - Try to think carefully about how the firm fits into your application strategy. Practise answers to these types of questions: Where else you are applying? How is Shearman different to those firms? How is Shearman different to US and the magic circle law firms? I get the impression that they are very big on 'why us?'.
    - Make sure you are being very personal and specific about your motivations - try to work out if your reasons are really your reasons, or whether they're something you've picked up reading online/from other people.
    - Go through all of your experiences and think about your most unique selling points. Try to also prepare examples for a range of competencies.
    - Shearman & Sterling has a ton of graduate content. If it was me, I'd watch all of their videos/Whiteboard Wednesdays content.
    - Go through this list: https://www.thecorporatelawacademy.com/175-training-contract-interview-questions-2/. Try to read a question and practise immediately answering the question aloud, as if you were actually in the interview. It would be even better if you could record your performance.
    - Try to find someone to give you a mock interview (even if it's just a family member). Ultimately, one of the best ways to practise for an interview is to simulate the real thing as much as possible.
    In response to the mock interview bit, I always found this a bit embarrassing and awkward but what helped me is interviewing myself (I always did this in the shower haha) - sometimes you think that you have a brilliant answer but it is hard to articulate it in a coherent way, and by saying out loud my answers in a more relaxed environment it helped me formulate what i was going to say and made the real thing feel much more natural!

Lily721

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 7, 2020
    With regards to Latham, I have seen 2 people on TCLA getting VI invites. Does the mid-February deadline mean that those who will receive rejections should expect to hear by then? I am already distressed by their silence as it was my dream firm and I had even attended an open day with them earlier this semester.
    No, I think what the grad recruiter meant is that they are currently still reviewing applications and making decisions, so candidates should expect to hear by mid-February. So she basically said not to worry if you haven't heard back yet as they are still going through the process. Though, out of interest when did you apply?

I know how you feel and the wait is not fun, but stay positive! As people say here: no news is good news!

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    In response to the mock interview bit, I always found this a bit embarrassing and awkward but what helped me is interviewing myself (I always did this in the shower haha) - sometimes you think that you have a brilliant answer but it is hard to articulate it in a coherent way, and by saying out loud my answers in a more relaxed environment it helped me formulate what i was going to say and made the real thing feel much more natural!

Couldn't agree more. I often see candidates who have clearly really researched and thought about their answers, but when they join a session it's the first time they've tried to articulate it. There's a huge difference in the way we communicate in written form versus orally - and especially in an interview-like setting. If you can just practise your answers aloud (even if it's in the shower!), I think it makes a huge difference.

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019

Completely agree with this, I talked to myself so much leading up to interviews! Coincidentally, I think some of my best answers were also developed in the shower! 🤣

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019

Latham definitely send out VI invites in batches. I didn't get my VI invite last cycle until the end of Jan and they only do ACs for spring around mid-February anyway. Give it some time and don't count yourself out just yet!

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    The shower is also the best place to construct an argument when you're angry with somebody or something. 😅
    Yes! I come up with my best come backs in the shower HAHA.
    Anyone else in this weird limbo where there’s technically time to apply for another firm before the deadline but deep down you know it’s not worth it as you’ve already applied to all the firms you were keen on?

I made a lot of last-ditch attempt rushed applications when I thought I was definitely going to be rejected from firms I had yet to hear back from. None of them ever worked out (unsurprisingly) and I'd definitely save yourself the energy if you're thinking of doing something similar. The limbo is tough but it's better to wait it out and see what you can do when the direct TC app window opens for the firms you aren't as bothered about. At least you'll have more time to reflect and improve on any of your apps that didn't work out and write better quality apps.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.