2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

LS12

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Apr 22, 2020
    In response to the mock interview bit, I always found this a bit embarrassing and awkward but what helped me is interviewing myself (I always did this in the shower haha) - sometimes you think that you have a brilliant answer but it is hard to articulate it in a coherent way, and by saying out loud my answers in a more relaxed environment it helped me formulate what i was going to say and made the real thing feel much more natural!
    I think my friends thought I was going mad the amount I would practice in the shower haha

Another thing I would recommend is recording yourself on voice notes and listening to yourself back. It was only when I listened to myself back that I realised in most my answers I sounded so serious and like I wasn't very interested in what I was saying!!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    @Jessica Booker I have a quick question about recruitment that I hope you (but maybe others) can answer.

After AC stage, how do firms decide who gets offers? Are written application/test scores taken into at that point (ie holistically) or is it on the basis of the AC? Are different parts weighted? And how much input do partners vs grad rev have?

I realise it will vary firm to firm but generally!! Thanks
    There’s no set answer to this - there really isn’t a “generally” in these cases. It will vary from firm to firm and what weighting they put on each competency, assessment or stage.

Assessors will pass feedback on their part of the process that they assessed (whether partners or not). Grad Rec will weigh that up and make a decision based on all the information in front of them.

E.A

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer
    Dec 11, 2019
    I see a lot of people getting worried when they hear a firm has started giving out ACs and imply this means a PFO... am I being seriously naive to keep hopes up until an actual emails states this? I just don't get how a firm can send out ACs to everyone at the same time unless they actually review every app and then somehow tell everyone at the same time? 😕

BiancaR

Star Member
    Future Trainee
    Junior Lawyer 12
  • Jun 8, 2020
    Is anyone else having trouble staying motivated for the last few applications (eg. apps due on the 31st)? I've been applying for VCs for nearly three years now, and I still have yet to make it to the interview stage at a firm. I've had two rejections already this week and as an international/non-law student, I'm wondering if this might be a sign that I maybe shouldn't hold out hope and try to finish the last application I'm working on.

Lily721

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 7, 2020
    Is anyone else having trouble staying motivated for the last few applications (eg. apps due on the 31st)? I've been applying for VCs for nearly three years now, and I still have yet to make it to the interview stage at a firm. I've had two rejections already this week and as an international/non-law student, I'm wondering if this might be a sign that I maybe shouldn't hold out hope and try to finish the last application I'm working on.
    You and I both girl! I am working on my last application and have been dragging it for a week now....the struggle is real...but KEEP GOING!!! You never know if this will be the ONE!

E.A

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer
    Dec 11, 2019
    I don't think I'd ever be able to say you should quit if this is important to you as I think it is from what you write. Look after yourself and if you feel very tired perhaps you need to reconsider whether it is worth doing that final application. However, if it is more the fear/ doubts kicking in - you got this and the only way it'll happen is by trying ♥️ I tried a thousand times (one day I will actually sit down and count the amount of rejections I got) before I finally got my AC invite in 2020. Keep at it!

Lawyer101

Distinguished Member
  • Dec 30, 2020
    To everyone who may be feeling demotivated and/or exhausted, just remember...
    we're gonna make it season one GIF by This Is Us

Last edited:

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019

Hey,

If your last few apps are really draining you then it really is okay to not finish them, especially since even at the best of times writing apps and constantly coming back to them is exhausting.

I know it can be super easy for anyone to say don’t give up and keep going but the truth is sometimes only you can be the judge of whether continuing will actually help or hinder you. I’m a big believer in taking breaks when you need them, and I think that if letting go of those last few apps means you can potentially come back stronger to apply for direct TCs or anything else you may be considering then that’s more than worth it.

I know how discouraging it can be to go through multiple cycles without seeing the results that you want but it’s so incredibly rare for things to work out on the first try (not just with apps but anything really). Most people try for years before landing the TC and it can be so misleading sometimes seeing the few people who do land TCs on their first try but they really are the lucky (and of course incredibly hardworking) exceptions to the norm. So while I think taking a break might be good don’t give up on the process just yet. You will definitely get there.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.