2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SamTam99

Legendary Member
Jan 5, 2021
Apparently Addleshaw are sending out AC invites and I haven't even heard back about a video interview ... I got to the AC stage last year for the direct training contract and I'm sure my application is better this year so I'm so confused! Anyone else heard nothing from the London office?
I haven’t heard anything either- so weird! I applied quite early too.

It’s just very strange because they’ve given out VI’s and rejections, so I have no idea why we haven’t heard back yet.

Kablahc

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Winner
  • Aug 31, 2020
    Does anyone have any general tips for interviews where there is HR + a partner? They know I study law so should I be brushing up on that in case the partner asks me some law-focused qs?

OB

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    Been kinda absent, but has anyone heard from W&C or Dechert?
    Happy Pop Tv GIF by One Day At A Time

J32

Valued Member
    Future Trainee
    Apr 4, 2019
    Have you got any tips for the AC? Desperately trying to prepare :D

Hi sure! Kirkland are a very unique firm in that they are looking for a specific personality type, and the entire AC is designed to highlight the traits that they look for: career driven, collaborative, commercially aware, understand K&E. So at the outset it's important to note that if you don't get it, it's okay because not everyone is a right fit for the firm and vice versa (that does not mean you aren't a great candidate or won't be an excellent lawyer!).

I don't know how much it has changed with everything now virtual but my biggest tip is stay relaxed and focus on each bit of the day as it comes - the AC isn't difficult, it just seems daunting with a lot of people there. Also, you need to research the firm in depth and understand what differentiates Kirkland. The firm takes pride in being different, pretty much more than any other firm I've come across. And if you can demonstrate you understand this, you're giving yourself the best possible shot.

Last edited:

packhorse

Esteemed Member
    Jan 12, 2021
    Hi sure! Kirkland are a very unique firm in that they are looking for a specific personality type, and the entire AC is designed to highlight the traits that they look for: career driven, collaborative, commercially aware, understand K&E. So at the outset it's important to note that if you don't get it, it's okay because not everyone is a right fit for the firm and vice versa (that does not mean you aren't a great candidate or won't be an excellent lawyer!).

I don't know how much it has changed with everything virtual now but my biggest tip is stay relaxed, focus on each bit of the day as it comes - the AC isn't difficult, it just seems daunting with a lot of people there. Also, you need to research the firm. They focus very strongly on why Kirkland is different, pretty much more than any other firm I've come across. And if you can demonstrate this, you're giving yourself the best possible shot.
    Are Kirkland renowned for having a lot of people at their ACs?

Andrew M

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Jan 7, 2020
    Apparently Addleshaw are sending out AC invites and I haven't even heard back about a video interview ... I got to the AC stage last year for the direct training contract and I'm sure my application is better this year so I'm so confused! Anyone else heard nothing from the London office?
    I applied for Manchester and haven't heard anything yet either. It's one of my strongest applications, so quite frustrating. But that's just how it goes sometimes. You can't take it personally because you just don't know all the factors - some of it just comes down to luck!

Hele25

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 5, 2021
    I applied for Manchester and haven't heard anything yet either. It's one of my strongest applications, so quite frustrating. But that's just how it goes sometimes. You can't take it personally because you just don't know all the factors - some of it just comes down to luck!
    Same position, I’m hoping for the best though. I’m not sure if “no news is good news” applies? I don’t think I could accurately speculate how any firms process works at this point 😂🤦🏻‍♀️

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.