2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew M

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Jan 7, 2020
Same position, I’m hoping for the best though. I’m not sure if “no news is good news” applies? I don’t think I could accurately speculate how any firms process works at this point 😂🤦🏻‍♀️
I've taken an approach this year of assuming that all my applications are unsuccessful. That way, I can be pleasantly surprised when/if I'm invited to the next stage. Plus, given that this is my final year, it means that I'm having to periodically re-assess my options and consider new opportunities.

Esteemed Member
Dec 15, 2018
Hi everyone. Wondering if anyone is aware/ know if links has an additional Watson glacier in the office?

Is the work simulation like a normal case study or like the multiple choice test they had for the application?

CA98

Nov 11, 2019
Anyone else apply to Weil near the deadline waiting to hear back?

Think they might have forgotten me.
I applied the day before the deadline and got invited to do the Watson Glaser yesterday, afaik though they tend to reply on an individual basis and don't really do batches like some firm's so it's probably just they haven't got round to looking at you yet.

Reactions: nicole88 and law230

thewaythecookiecrumbles

Distinguished Member
Junior Lawyer
Jan 14, 2021
Apparently Addleshaw are sending out AC invites and I haven't even heard back about a video interview ... I got to the AC stage last year for the direct training contract and I'm sure my application is better this year so I'm so confused! Anyone else heard nothing from the London office?
I don't think any AC invites have come through yet, but they're probably going through applications in batches. Definitely try not to worry and wait for an email :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
If you don’t mind me asking, what is the process of leaving a training contract? Do you have to pay back GDL/LPC fees?
You should read your offer letter/employment contract carefully as anything regarding this will have to be outlined in that document.

Some firms will claw back the GDL/LPC and maintenance fees unless someone qualifies. Some firms even have a clause that you have to stay with the firm for 1-2 years PQE, often on a sliding scale of what has to be paid back. Not all do though - some just take the cost on the chin and wrap it up as a costly hiring decision.

Ultimately if you want to terminate your contract, there isn’t much a firm can do but hold you to the terms in the contract.

Reactions: packhorse

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Guys I know it's really hard to stay positive, especially in these times, but honestly no news is good news when it comes to whether you've heard back from a firm. You'll drive yourselves crazy if you try and work out why GradRec have given decisions to some people and not you so please try and avoid it - trust me I've been there, done that and it's not healthy.

I know it's much easier said than done but I've seen a lot of these kinds of messages recently and honestly there is no point trying to work it out because nobody really knows how GradRec teams work! So please just believe that no news is good news until you hear otherwise! There's absolutely no point wasting energy thinking you have been rejected 100x before an email comes in so please try and avoid it if at all possible :)

PS: Apologies for my mini-rant but I think it's worth reiterating sometimes!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.