2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

breadpitt

Esteemed Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 21, 2021
    Is it possible to ask a firm to move you from the summer scheme to the spring scheme after you get a VS offer? Is this conventional practice?

I have 2 VS offers (one in June and one in July), and I still have an AC coming up for another firm that I really want to try out.

• 🏆
    Reactions: LS12 and Celestie

Adrian_Healey

Esteemed Member
    Future Trainee
    Junior Lawyer 14
  • Oct 18, 2020
    Ok everyone now that *almost* all apps are in, I am very interested in which application system is everyone's favourite... I have listed my (strong) preferences below, but am interested in hearing other people's thoughts! React to the post using the symbols next to each to show your preference - they should simply be in order of which symbol comes up first when you hover over the 'Like' button.

👍 1. Direct E-mail (Cover Letter/Application Form and CV by e-mail, used by firms like S&C and Winston & Strawn - This was the easiest by far but I'm not sure how they are able to get away without asking you to approve all the privacy statements and give diversity information??)

👎2. Apply4Law (probably the most common?- This is my favourite other than the direct e-mail apps. When I first filled in all my details on Apply4Law it took me like three hours and I thought it was a massive nightmare, and a huge negative about the system is that it does not automatically fill your details and work experience on subsequent applications. It does provide a drop-down list of what you have filled in before though, so that is a positive, and I got a rhythm down where I would copy and paste from a previous app and I could complete everything but for the written answers within 15-20 mins. The reason I like it is that it is very clear and there are no weird formatting issues)

😍3. cvMail (close second for how common it is?- Probably also my next favourite. There is something I don't like about cvMail, however, including the fact it has crashed on me many times. I like the fact that it automatically fills your details in, but does anyone else find that strangely deletes spaces in your written answers? Plus there is nowhere really to get a sense of whether your app has been updated, or even to look at your app online after you have submitted it? I find firms have different number of slots for work experience each time which also bothers me - at least with Apply4Law you can choose how many slots you need)

🤣4. Linklaters - They had their own system which I thought was fairly accessible, but a slightly unusual process.

😲5. Slaughter and May - Am I right in thinking they had their own system? I though it was fine.

🙁6. Taleo (CC, DLA Piper, Freshfields, probably others I have forgotten - also fine, seemed a bit outdated though).

😡7. Rare CRS (Willkie - I think it is great, but for the fact that only one firm uses it. It means I had to fill in everything from scratch just for one firm, which is not great. Also its strangely re-orders what you have previously filled in if you go back to it)

✅8. Brassring (A&O, HSF, probably others - pretty bad. What kind of application system doesn't allow you to go back and review what you have filled in previously? It would save my applications and allow me to continue them later, which made me think I could leave my education details to fill in at the end... but no, I had to start a new app from scratch! The worst was when A&O Middle East told me the projected time for filling in the application was '10 - 15 minutes' and I saw on the first page that they asked for a Cover Letter and CV, I assumed that these were the only requirement. I may have left my application until close to the deadline after labouring over my cover letter and CV, only to find that once I uploaded them, there were seven further short-answer (250 words) questions that I had to rush off).

❌9. viDesktop (used by firms like Cleary Gottlieb and Vinson & Elkins - it doesn't even remember you if your browser times out! For Vinson & Elkins, where there were written-answer questions that required you to put a '//' to separate paragraphs and where non-letter symbols mysteriously transfigured into code, I thought that there were absolutely no redeeming qualities)

Let me know if I have forgotten any!
    If you sign up for LCN’s MyLocker you can auto fill most things! (Not work experience though)

T_Law

Standard Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jul 16, 2019
    I also got an RPC offer! :eek: :eek: Honestly can't believe it because I thought the case study went SO poorly, thank you to everyone who gave me advice on how to get better at them!

Also, just wanted to say that it is definitely worth doing last minute applications. This cycle has taught me that the whole process is really quite random and there's no telling which applications will go down well - every time I thought I really aced something I seemed to then get a rejection, then when I thought things went badly it was the opposite 🤣 My friend once said to me that firms can't know you're there if you don't apply and I think that's so true - just keep persevering on!
    Congratulations!!! I've got mine coming up soon - if you have any tips, I would really appreciate it, THANK YOU!!

• 🏆
    Reactions: collie_121

Andrew M

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Jan 7, 2020
    Hi! Just received a link to do the watson glaser test for Hill Dickinson. Wondering if anyone has any tips since this is my first application cycle and I tend to be really up and down with my scores! Thanks!
    There are some useful videos floating around on youtube for how to approach answering them. Once you've got your head around how to approach the individual types (e.g. assumptions, inferences), I think the best thing to do is just go with your instincts.

• Love
    Reactions: ab1147

Celestie

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    Ok everyone now that *almost* all apps are in, I am very interested in which application system is everyone's favourite... I have listed my (strong) preferences below, but am interested in hearing other people's thoughts! React to the post using the symbols next to each to show your preference - they should simply be in order of which symbol comes up first when you hover over the 'Like' button.

👍 1. Direct E-mail (Cover Letter/Application Form and CV by e-mail, used by firms like S&C and Winston & Strawn - This was the easiest by far but I'm not sure how they are able to get away without asking you to approve all the privacy statements and give diversity information??)

👎2. Apply4Law (probably the most common?- This is my favourite other than the direct e-mail apps. When I first filled in all my details on Apply4Law it took me like three hours and I thought it was a massive nightmare, and a huge negative about the system is that it does not automatically fill your details and work experience on subsequent applications. It does provide a drop-down list of what you have filled in before though, so that is a positive, and I got a rhythm down where I would copy and paste from a previous app and I could complete everything but for the written answers within 15-20 mins. The reason I like it is that it is very clear and there are no weird formatting issues)

😍3. cvMail (close second for how common it is?- Probably also my next favourite. There is something I don't like about cvMail, however, including the fact it has crashed on me many times. I like the fact that it automatically fills your details in, but does anyone else find that strangely deletes spaces in your written answers? Plus there is nowhere really to get a sense of whether your app has been updated, or even to look at your app online after you have submitted it? I find firms have different number of slots for work experience each time which also bothers me - at least with Apply4Law you can choose how many slots you need)

🤣4. Linklaters - They had their own system which I thought was fairly accessible, but a slightly unusual process.

😲5. Slaughter and May - Am I right in thinking they had their own system? I though it was fine.

🙁6. Taleo (CC, DLA Piper, Freshfields, probably others I have forgotten - also fine, seemed a bit outdated though).

😡7. Rare CRS (Willkie - I think it is great, but for the fact that only one firm uses it. It means I had to fill in everything from scratch just for one firm, which is not great. Also its strangely re-orders what you have previously filled in if you go back to it)

✅8. Brassring (A&O, HSF, probably others - pretty bad. What kind of application system doesn't allow you to go back and review what you have filled in previously? It would save my applications and allow me to continue them later, which made me think I could leave my education details to fill in at the end... but no, I had to start a new app from scratch! The worst was when A&O Middle East told me the projected time for filling in the application was '10 - 15 minutes' and I saw on the first page that they asked for a Cover Letter and CV, I assumed that these were the only requirement. I may have left my application until close to the deadline after labouring over my cover letter and CV, only to find that once I uploaded them, there were seven further short-answer (250 words) questions that I had to rush off).

❌9. viDesktop (used by firms like Cleary Gottlieb and Vinson & Elkins - it doesn't even remember you if your browser times out! For Vinson & Elkins, where there were written-answer questions that required you to put a '//' to separate paragraphs and where non-letter symbols mysteriously transfigured into code, I thought that there were absolutely no redeeming qualities)

Let me know if I have forgotten any!
    Whatever Irwin Mitchell uses needs to GOOOO cause it put me off applying. Nightmare.

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Is it possible to ask a firm to move you from the summer scheme to the spring scheme after you get a VS offer? Is this conventional practice?

I have 2 VS offers (one in June and one in July), and I still have an AC coming up for another firm that I really want to try out.

Congrats on your 2 vacs! You're absolutely smashing it! And yes it is common practice, I had to do it myself last year. I think firms are very used to accommodating to these kind of requests and most firms are pretty flexible. I'd just recommend telling the firm as soon as possible because they will need to make preparations to onboard you in spring and the sooner you let them know, the less likely they'll say no because of logistical issues like on-boarding etc.

Staples

Legendary Member
  • Sep 11, 2020
    If you sign up for LCN’s MyLocker you can auto fill most things! (Not work experience though)
    The teeny tiny dopamine rush I get when I click on ‘load from MyLocker’ and the entire page auto fills...

Legallin

Star Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 20, 2020
    Anyone have any thoughts on how I can talk about Asos’s purchase of Topshop and boohoo purchase of Debenhams as a commercial story I’m interested in? Any impacts on the retail sector or interesting opinions? Just trying to form my own thoughts and thought would be helpful to discuss with others :)

Legal_rawn

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Dec 21, 2019
    Anyone have any thoughts on how I can talk about Asos’s purchase of Topshop and boohoo purchase of Debenhams as a commercial story I’m interested in? Any impacts on the retail sector or interesting opinions? Just trying to form my own thoughts and thought would be helpful to discuss with others :)
    A quite basic view point is the trend of consumer patterns. Simply that the high street is dying out. This is shown by the fact online retailers are able to invest in the companies which relied more on their in-person sales

Reactions: Lawyer101 and collie_121

Celestie

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    Online shops are acquiring physical ones - you could make an interesting comment about real estate here I think.

Reactions: collie_121

dosblancos7

Legendary Member
    Feb 16, 2019
    Hiya!

Congrats on getting your interview ☺️

1) I don't think it is unprofessional or weird. An ideal background for a virtual interview is one that is not distracting which is why they often recommend a relatively plain background e.g. a wall or a window. If this is not possible, then I think a blurred background is absolutely fine as this still meets the aim of having a background which is not distracting and allows the focus to be kept on you. Also to add- make sure you have adequate lighting!

2) Personally, I would talk about something your genuinely interested in as it makes the dialogue flow a lot easier. Also, if they ask follow up questions ( which is likely), you'll be in a better position to answer and express your opinions, than if you were to talk about something you aren't as interested in which would limit your points of discussion. I would however broadly consider the types of clients and work carried out by the firm. So if you know the firm is not litigation heavy at all, I wouldn't lead with a commercial litigation case ( but this is just my opinion!)

Hope this helps & best of luck in your upcoming interview!

Thank you so so much :D

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.