2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MzM

Valued Member
Future Trainee
Sep 11, 2019
OMFG - now a Morgan Lewis phone interview in 2 days?!?!?!
Season 8 Wtf GIF by The Office

Veep9

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • Sep 8, 2020
    I don't understand this application process. I have a number of firms in the pipeline - I worked hard on these applications, have not heard back yet and see others on this forum invited to AC at those firms already. For Reed Smith, I got invited to answer the research questions on 4th Jan with a deadline of 8th Jan ( the same week I was preparing for an HSF AC and still had my my full-time job working 8.30am - 7.30pm.) I decided not to answer the questions as I did not have time. I received an email on 26th Jan from Reed Smith reminding me to answer the questions before the 29th Jan. I then decided to write something really last minute and quickly after work. Assumed the answers would be poor quality and the fact they were sent late would not be looked at favourably. I have just been invited to AC????
    That is amazing, well done!

I have to say, with absolutely no complaint towards you of course, that that is also incredibly frustrating. The firm’s GR just does not make sense, first with their system/database mixups and then because they seem not to comply with their own deadlines. 🤷🏽‍♀️

D

Deleted member 10295

Can anyone recommend any platforms to stay commercially aware of specific sectors? Other than the FT, I struggle to find a platform specifically geared towards giving updates/comments on current trends about a certain industry/industries. I am mainly interested in energy and shipping. Thanks :)
    I’d really recommend Finimize daily emails, I listen to Americast to keep on top of things happening in the US, and reasons to be cheerful is good for thinking about different current topics!

Matt_96

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
  • Dec 15, 2018
    I think it will be 2 more months still as their application process is really competitive but from what I heard they only have 3 people in grad recruitment so it explains why it takes so long for them to send out interview emails.

On another note for those waiting to hear back from applications just be patient as I know some law firms are slow at getting back regarding applications.

Travers Smith is well known for being the James May of law firm graduate recruitment (aka Captain Slow). In the last cycle, I applied for the Direct 2022 TC in November 2019 (so extremely comfortably before the deadline). In July 2020 they got back to me to say 'lol soz we filled all our places before we even bothered to read and/or reject your app ok bye better luck next time'. I'm sure that's why they have now moved to a non-rolling deadline for their summer VS.

Veep9

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 8, 2020
    Travers Smith is well known for being the James May of law firm graduate recruitment (aka Captain Slow). In the last cycle, I applied for the Direct 2022 TC in November 2019 (so extremely comfortably before the deadline). In July 2020 they got back to me to say 'lol soz we filled all our places before we even bothered to read and/or reject your app ok bye better luck next time'. I'm sure that's why they have now moved to a non-rolling deadline for their summer VS.
    Yea I’m still waiting for feedback from 2019.

Kola

Legendary Member
    Sep 27, 2020

I'm a second-year law student and applied to their Spring Vacation Scheme (which I'm not even allowed to apply to). I emailed them several times informing them of this just to let them know of the mistake, received no response. That would have been fine had I been rejected, but I've progressed through the various stages of their application process now (which is weird as it is given my mistake), and I don't want to end up in a situation where I am face to face with an interviewer and suddenly they realise I've applied for the wrong scheme and reject me.

There was also the whole debacle of sending the research questions by email which was strange especially when they use Apply4law I think. Additionally, as people have mentioned, they've decided to renege on their adherence to deadlines on multiple occasions.

This is not to say that it isn't an excellent firm nor does it objectively say anything negative about the firm's GR. Just my own personal experiences have been a bit strange relative to other firms who I have found to be far more organised.

Reactions: W

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Perhaps a pretty silly question, but I'm preparing for an AC and in practicing case studies I find it really hard to explain how law firms will be involved (aside from the obvious threats of litigation etc). I can easily pull out commercial issues or wider threats but I find it really hard to coherently explain which departments/sectors will be involved and how they work together. Does anyone know of any resources where I can improve on this?
    Hi Hannah - these might help you:

The second article I've linked is a comprehensive breakdown of practice areas.

• Love
    Reactions: packhorse and H48
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.