Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Can I just say - if you're in a group exercise and someone gives a great idea, don't shoot it down just because he/she did well for the other exercises. Just came out of a group exercise where my idea was shot down and I was utterly bullied by everyone on the basis that it "wasn't interesting" when the criteria we were supposed to judge the idea against were all objective, business factors. I have never seen such unprofessionalism in the few AC group exercises I have attended thus far. If you want to win a slot on the scheme, win it on the basis of your strength and don't win it by putting others down. To the others who just sided with the bully and said "yeah" with some grunts of affirmation - shame on you.
If that is what happened, your assessors will have picked up on that and will have marked those people down. They are unlikely to have strengthened their position in securing a TC, and if anything have undermined it.

Reactions: Daniel Boden

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    I think it went really well. Should find out within seven days whether we are successful. The two interview experiences that are on here were very useful so make sure you check those out.
    Fingers crossed for you mate!

You Got This Dos Equis GIF

Legallin

Star Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 20, 2020
    BCLP PFO (post-test) - quite disappointing as I attended the open day and had a few BCLP trainees look over my application! I applied the middle of December

Do all BCLP PFOs say “We would like to take this opportunity to highlight that we considered your application to be strong and would encourage you to apply again in future”?
    Sorry to here! can I ask if you applied for the VS or TC? or anyone else that has got a PFO today could you pls let me know if you applied for vac or TC :)

Andrew M

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Jan 7, 2020
    I once was copied into an email to a lot of senior people in a firm about them attending a networking event and it clearly mixed up Bs for Ps which said:

“Drinks and nipples”

But the one that literally had me laughing all day (I couldn’t stop laughing about it - in fact just thinking about it now is still making me giggle) was a candidate talking about a change in the global economy and they missed the F out of the following phrase

“substantial global shift”
    When I was a restaurant manager I once printed a whole days worth of Sunday lunch menus with "served with a red wine Jesus". It took about an hour before somebody actually pointed it out to us too. 😅

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    I can’t say for W&C specifically.

I think you have to look at firms wording carefully. Saying candidates “must have achieved” something is very different to “candidates typically will have achieved” or “we usually look for”.

For instance, at one firm I worked for it was a strict requirement that only people with extenuating circumstances were considered who didn’t have those grades

At Freshfields, I recruited people with CCD and even no A-levels (with no ext circs), but they used to not have a minimum A-level criteria and would just say “strong academics” which could be evidence by degree results instead.

Thank you for this
    I can’t say for W&C specifically.

I think you have to look at firms wording carefully. Saying candidates “must have achieved” something is very different to “candidates typically will have achieved” or “we usually look for”.

For instance, at one firm I worked for it was a strict requirement that only people with extenuating circumstances were considered who didn’t have those grades

At Freshfields, I recruited people with CCD and even no A-levels (with no ext circs), but they used to not have a minimum A-level criteria and would just say “strong academics” which could be evidence by degree results instead.

Thank you for this and I understand your point.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    What’s a good overall degree grade in your opinion @Jessica Booker ? Is it one with no flurries of 2:2 either :)
    Good isn’t probably enough to be frank. You’ll need to show the ability to excel rather than just be “good”.

But it’s all about context. Someone achieving a low 2.1 but managing that with significant other commitments is going to be looked at very differently than someone with a high 2.1 but only doing their degree.

Reactions: Rachel H

JayB

Legendary Member
    May 16, 2019
    Good isn’t probably enough to be frank. You’ll need to show the ability to excel rather than just be “good”.

But it’s all about context. Someone achieving a low 2.1 but managing that with significant other commitments is going to be looked at very differently than someone with a high 2.1 but only doing their degree.
    This is really interesting to know thank you @Jessica Booker, and does this high 2:1 depend on any university? Whether it being a non-RG or RG? Do law firms still hold that stigma of recruiting trainees from specific unis or is that changed with the whole diversity and contextualised recruitment initiative. As I know RARE and Aspiring Solicitors are known for hyping this up! :)

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    BCLP rejection post-tests but it was weird as they said I didn't meet the benchmark for the bespoke test thingly. Sorry for my grammar I am really annoyed with thing the bad news thing. I find this weird because did anyone receive email for meeting the bench mark for the test.

• 🤝
    Reactions: Kablahc and cryingoverTCs
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.