2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    What’s a good overall degree grade in your opinion @Jessica Booker ? Is it one with no flurries of 2:2 either :)
    Just my 2p, I'd tend to say that this is a case by case issue too!

You could have a candidate with an outstanding academic record (A's, 1st degree), but, if they have no substance as a candidate in other areas, then they're still unlikely to progress through the recruitment process particularly far. Similarly, you could have a candidate with fairly average or good results, but not outstanding, who are much more rounded with other factors and/ or contextual/ mitigating circumstances are taken into account.

I consider myself more in the second category, for example. I've a mix of 1sts, 2:1s and 2:2s through uni (1sts and 2:1s in all Honours subjects), with fairly average school grades (AABBC at SQA Higher), but I've always had loads of other stuff on my CV to talk about like owning my own businesses etc. I've also had some mitigating circumstances (broke my back during 2nd year uni for example).

I would always encourage candidates to look holistically at themselves/ their apps rather than considering academics in isolation :)

• 🏆
    Reactions: JayB

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    This is really interesting to know thank you @Jessica Booker, and does this high 2:1 depend on any university? Whether it being a non-RG or RG? Do law firms still hold that stigma of recruiting trainees from specific unis or is that changed with the whole diversity and contextualised recruitment initiative. As I know RARE and Aspiring Solicitors are known for hyping this up! :)

No - the RG vs non RG is a really outdated concept that no longer guarantees quality (or is a sign of that quality lacking).

• 🏆
    Reactions: JayB, FM302989 and NSinger

missw01

Jan 28, 2021
    Just my 2p, I'd tend to say that this is a case by case issue too!

You could have a candidate with an outstanding academic record (A's, 1st degree), but, if they have no substance as a candidate in other areas, then they're still unlikely to progress through the recruitment process particularly far. Similarly, you could have a candidate with fairly average or good results, but not outstanding, who are much more rounded with other factors and/ or contextual/ mitigating circumstances are taken into account.

I consider myself more in the second category, for example. I've a mix of 1sts, 2:1s and 2:2s through uni (1sts and 2:1s in all Honours subjects), with fairly average school grades (AABBC at SQA Higher), but I've always had loads of other stuff on my CV to talk about like owning my own businesses etc. I've also had some mitigating circumstances (broke my back during 2nd year uni for example).

I would always encourage candidates to look holistically at themselves/ their apps rather than considering academics in isolation :)
    Hi @Jacob Miller,
    I also own my own business, it is a gym clothing brand for women. Just wondering if you have any advice to use this in applications. Would this be suitable as a ‘what makes you unique’ or ‘why is your application different?’ at all?
    I would really appreciate any advice with regards to this!
    Thanks
    Bailey

Tarnjeet

Esteemed Member
    Oct 20, 2020
    No - the RG vs non RG is a really outdated concept that no longer guarantees quality (or is a sign of that quality lacking).
    But do law firms contextualise university results in the same way they do with A-Levels? Would they take into account that the number of students achieving firsts is considerably lower at Russel group universities, for example?

Reactions: conniekatherine

LS12

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Apr 22, 2020
    I would say that certain universities better prepare students for applications - whilst the university name may not be as relevant I don’t necessarily think it’s an even playing ground. I didn’t go to a RG university but I know a lot of people who got tcs (not as many as I’m sure at other universities) but my university (and the law society) did put a lot of effort into supporting students navigate the application journey

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    So law firms don’t care what uni you attended to, but the individual grades in question? @Jessica Booker as I haven’t seen much people from non-RG unis secure TCs and I wondered why? (I’m from a RG uni but I always wondered this).
    It isn’t as binary as that.

Non RG applicants are much less likely to apply

Non RG applicants tend to have less opportunity for careers guidance or insights into firms.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    But do law firms contextualise university results in the same way they do with A-Levels? Would they take into account that the number of students achieving firsts is considerably lower at Russel group universities, for example?
    No.

It is a myth that Russell Group universities have a lower number of firsts than non-RG universities.

Reactions: NSinger

Lawbour

Legendary Member
    Dec 25, 2018
    I don't like to be that guy but for the people that were invited to complete the case study for Mishcon,when did you apply and receive/ do the VI?

Mishcon is like my last hope at this point, I've been rejected by the majority of firms and really am not holding out much hope for the two I haven't heard from 😖

Reactions: Samantha

Tarnjeet

Esteemed Member
    Oct 20, 2020
    No.

It is a myth that Russell Group universities have a lower number of firsts than non-RG universities.
    So firms don’t look at averages at the university you have attended- e.g. someone who has achieved an average of 66 at a university where the average is 60 has arguably performed better than someone who has achieved a first at a university where the average is something like 68.

Reactions: conniekatherine

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    So firms don’t look at averages at the university you have attended- e.g. someone who has achieved an average of 66 at a university where the average is 60 has arguably performed better than someone who has achieved a first at a university where the average is something like 68.
    No - that data isn’t freely available to make that decision. Plus there are far too many variables - even by module choice alone.

I’d disagree you could come to that conclusion on the comparison you are suggesting too.

rose63

Star Member
  • Jan 28, 2021
    I would say that certain universities better prepare students for applications - whilst the university name may not be as relevant I don’t necessarily think it’s an even playing ground. I didn’t go to a RG university but I know a lot of people who got tcs (not as many as I’m sure at other universities) but my university (and the law society) did put a lot of effort into supporting students navigate the application journey
    Completely second this. I go to a RG uni but have had little advice on the application process. Law Soc doesn't do much and all we really hear from careers is a weekly email, similar to one you'd receive from Indeed or the like, with a list of jobs open for applications. Neither do we have a Law Clinic or many Pro Bono opportunities. I do like my uni but have to say it's not the best for careers. Have seen many non-RGs that appear to have much more on offer

Dwight

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Dec 21, 2019
    @Jessica Booker

I have to get in on this grade/university debate. I am always intrigued to talk about this topic. Anything I say is my opinion and not intended to attack anyone - I just love debating lol.

I agree with @Tarnjeet: Do law firms not look at where you have got a university degree GRADE from?

If no, that does not make sense for one second. It cannot be disputed that a 1st from some universities is (much) more difficult than other universities. I have seen some people (not to name names) at the same university studying law achieving ridiculously high grades in some law modules. I am not talking 70-75%, I am talking 85-90%. This begs the question of the credibility of the degree and the grades they are dishing out. Not to name my university, but academic staff once said they have awarded 1/2 80-85% in the past 10 years, yet some students are given multiple ridiculously high grades. That does not make sense one bit.

Also, lets be honest, a 1st from Oxbridge (let me make it clear that I DONT attend Oxford or Cambridge) is more difficult to attain than in other universities. I know some friends who do law there and I looked at their work load and it is aghhhhhh.

I don't understand and never will how this part of the application process is assessed.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.