2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ricky

Legendary Member
2020 Community Winner
Sep 16, 2018
Guys can i have your opinion on a matter?

I am currently answering a commercial awareness question and I would like to mention Brexit.

The recently signed deal is a major blow to the financial services plus does not protect many sectors (retail banking, insurance and so on). I am reluctant to talk about Brexit, but I believe it is more relevant than ever (with covid) as the implications are wild!

What do you think?
I think it's fine as long as you really nail down into something specific and technical rather than covering it at a basic/brief level.

Reactions: S87 and Daniel Boden

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
Thank
I think it's fine as long as you really nail down into something specific and technical rather than covering it at a basic/brief level.
Thank you Ricky, yes I am going to focus on a specific rule included in the deal which could also affect how law firms deliver their services in Europe.

Reactions: Ricky

Celestie

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    Happy Wednesday all, let's try be productive and stay away from refreshing our emails 24/7 🥴🥴🥴

Dyvon Keep Calm GIF by Muser Magazine
    Dear [Law Firm],

I regret to inform you that today I will not be checking my emails, so any rejections will not count.

1612955682886.png

Kola

Legendary Member
    Sep 27, 2020
    Mayer brown rejection after tests - they said I didn't pass the testing stage but I got two above averages and the rest average scores? were they expecting more above averages? or potentially my mix of strengths was not what they were looking for? (resilience, collaboration, social adaptability) - I don't know if anyone would be willing to share their experiences to see where I went wrong!

This probably won't be entirely helpful, but just as an insight, I got 4 averages, and 1 below average but was progressed through. A possible explanation could be that I applied early. Maybe as they're shifting through more and more applications, their expectations are increasing, and had my application been judged when yours was, I may have not made it through.

Celestie

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    Is anyone still waiting to hear (Post application - not post selective testing) from the following firms RE Summer VS?:

HSF
    Latham
    Travers Smith
    Freshfields (Direct TC)
    W&C
    Ashurst
    Macfarlanes

If so, do you have any idea of when they will get back to us?

Good luck to everyone over these next few weeks!
    I have done the FF WG, but haven't applied to most others on that list, sorry :(

Reactions: MizM

Ophelia K

Star Member
    Feb 5, 2021
    Is anyone still waiting to hear (Post application - not post selective testing) from the following firms RE Summer VS?:

HSF
    Latham
    Travers Smith
    Freshfields (Direct TC)
    W&C
    Ashurst
    Macfarlanes

I'm still waiting on Ashurst and Macfarlanes - I didn't apply to the others sorry

MI

Standard Member
    Aug 27, 2020
    Yes, nothing shows up when I click on the interview tab on the portal and it says that I don't have any interview invites. I will email them to ask, thank you so much! May I know what range of dates appeared on the interview portal when you selected your interview time slots? 😀
    Very frustrating!

I cannot see the dates on my portal any more, but from memory they were:
    Morning of 17 Feb
    Afternoon of 18 Feb
    Afternoon of 22 Feb

Obviously would advise you to double check as I am not 100% sure!

SamTam99

Legendary Member
    Jan 5, 2021

HSF
    Latham
    Travers Smith
    Freshfields (Direct TC)
    W&C
    Ashurst
    Macfarlanes

I’m still waiting on Travers Smith, haven’t applied to any of the others unfortunately!

bibss

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 28, 2020

HSF
    Latham
    Travers Smith
    Freshfields (Direct TC)
    W&C
    Ashurst
    Macfarlanes

I'm in the same situation re Latham, W&C and Freshfields. I can already see my rejection coming for Latham and W&C, as I know they both already started sending VI invites weeks ago. W&C even started handing out AC invites... Definitely don't have much hope :confused:

LegalNim

Legendary Member
    Nov 14, 2019

HSF
    Latham
    Travers Smith
    Freshfields (Direct TC)
    W&C
    Ashurst
    Macfarlanes

I've only applied to FF but got invited to a WG on January 21st, applied on January 7th/8th (can't remember). Completed the WG on January 23rd, deadline was 24th, haven't heard anything since.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.