2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GK8997

Legendary Member
M&A Bootcamp
Sep 25, 2020
Hey guys, if a firm says they need to verify documents by tomorrow close of business day and they haven't confirmed the time for doing so yet (I emailed them yesterday at 10.30 am with my availability and deadline was midday yesterday), do you think I should wait or call and confirm- I definitely replied to their email but haven't had a response yet and need to know a rough time as I work?

tkhkat

Star Member
Feb 2, 2021
Drop them a friendly email, Nicola usually replies really fast and it’s definitely important for you to get it sorted on the server-side! :)
Hi @Jony ! Thanks so much for this - I've emailed them but haven't had heard back from them the whole day, and I'm quite worried as the ACs start next week. Would you mind DM-ing me Nicola's email (if you have it)? I think I'll be able to reach them quicker if I email them directly, rather than through their GR email inbox. Thank you in advance! 🙏🏻

relentlesspursuit

Esteemed Member
Junior Lawyer
May 26, 2019
If a firm has not gotten back to you on the outcome of an application within the timeframe they provided, how long after should you wait to email them? I dont want to seem impatient (I definitely am), but I have also heard that a few people never received emails back from certain apps and had to check the portals. However this particular application does not have a portal I can look at.

Maculay

Jan 31, 2020
Guys, could I get a brutally honest opinion about the follow query:

I have an interview with Ashurst, and one of the reasons why I am applying to them is because of their strong Australian presence. My family is moving to Australia by the end of the year, and while I intend to stay in London for the next 3-10 years or so, having the option of eventually moving would be nice (which is why I find Ashurst so attractive as it would make the transition smoother). In a Vac Scheme interview, would it be appropriate to give this as a reason for applying? On one hand, it is probably one of the most personal and compelling reasons I can give. On the other hand, I don't want them to think of me as a 'temporary hire' who only sees them as a stepping stone to somewhere else.

What do you think?
I personally would not mention this as they may view you as a flight risk. I wouldn't want to put a bug in their ear as it could translate into you wanting to move on once trained up.

Reactions: Daniel Boden and Kola

J32

Valued Member
Future Trainee
Apr 4, 2019
Hey guys, if a firm says they need to verify documents by tomorrow close of business day and they haven't confirmed the time for doing so yet (I emailed them yesterday at 10.30 am with my availability and deadline was midday yesterday), do you think I should wait or call and confirm- I definitely replied to their email but haven't had a response yet and need to know a rough time as I work?

It makes sense to call since the firm wants to verify your documents by close of business tomorrow. It's an important deadline so it's ok :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Daniel Boden

eveh1784

Star Member
Jan 21, 2020
If a firm has not gotten back to you on the outcome of an application within the timeframe they provided, how long after should you wait to email them? I dont want to seem impatient (I definitely am), but I have also heard that a few people never received emails back from certain apps and had to check the portals. However this particular application does not have a portal I can look at.
I’m the same position as this for Willkie - I’m going to give it 5-7 working days after the end of my window (which was yday)

Reactions: AW_08

SouffléSouffléSoufflé

Valued Member
Future Trainee
Mar 17, 2020
Boodle Hatfield interview invitation :) if anyone has any tips or experience I would appreciate it!!

Congrats on getting an interview! I secured a vacation scheme with them last year and really enjoyed the interview.

I recommend that you review your own experience, and think of examples you can apply to competency based questions. I found in my interview that I was asked the same competency question twice at different points. I think they were checking to see how quickly I was able to think on my feet, and not be surprised to be asked the same question twice. In addition, they really read your application in detail so make sure you remember your work experience (for instance I was asked about some work experience I had done in 2017!).

Secondly, have a really have a good ponder about what makes Boodle Hatfield different against their competitors. From my interview feedback this is what was highlighted greatly as a positive and what made me stand out.

Lastly, don't be afraid if it is a bit longer than your normal interview. Mine ended up being around an hour and twenty minutes. I was worried that it meant I had done badly as I assumed it was because I wasn't concise but looking back they are asking a lot of questions as they genuinely want to get to know you.

Best of luck! If you want any further advice drop me a message :)

LEL

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Jul 22, 2020
has debevoise moved its deadline to 14/02/2021 - the website now says the deadline for vacation scheme/open day is 14th Feb

am I reading that correctly and does that possibly explain the delay in getting back
They moved it on the website, but someone said they tried to apply with that new deadline and it said applications are closed. We speculate it may be a new deadline for accepting their open day/AC? Maybe it will open up when they start giving out invites, who knows lol

Reactions: SF1234
Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.