2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

djqb

Legendary Member
Sep 6, 2020
If you graduate this summer or later, you'll be eligible for a two year work visa in any case, so even if Macfarlanes confusing wording precludes you from applying if you don't have working rights in the UK, you would actually have working rights in the UK for the duration of the training programme so can still apply.

They sponsor

Looks like they do accept international candidates as long as you have ‘obtained the right to work’. Does your tier 4 student visa allow you to work? If it does, you should be eligible!

Nope .. they definitely sponsor tier 4 students because they told me they did last year.. I saw the same thing last year.. it’s all dependent on you getting a visa though. Either way, the 2 year thing should cover you as long as you apply for it to cover the whole two years
Thanks for the help guys!

Reactions: whisperingrock

Iqra

Star Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Jan 2, 2020
    Osborne Clarke PFO! Good luck to everyone that got onto the AC!
    We're cheering you on from over here 😂😂😂
    dw-arthur-memes.jpg

Was that for the London office?

Peel18416

Standard Member
    Feb 16, 2021
    Very lucky.. I got two ACs and zero offers but we keep pushing. I would say do not worry about the pressure. You are a great candidate and that’s why you got a vac scheme. Focus on doing the basics well(smile, do your work well and be pro-active... and pressure? Forget that individual.. pressure can’t beat you.. you already beat it by getting an offer)
    Thank you very much and very sound advice. It can be an unbelievably demoralising process, particularly when you have heart set on particular firm. As you say just need to keep on pushing and work hard.

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    I know this might come across really badly (and it isn't intended at all) given how much stress/rejection/panic etc. is involved with the whole process, but here goes. In over 10 apps (am limited due to eligibility as second year non-Law), have only been invited to two ACs and received 1 VS offer (Silver Circle), which I guess mounts up the pressure to convert to a TC. I am just used to seeing people getting two/three vac schemes per cycle at my university. Is this to be expected? How would you deal with pressure of trying to convert?

First of all, congratulations on your VS! Not to sound like a broken record but it's honestly an amazing achievement.

In terms of dealing with the pressure, just keep reminding yourself that you only need one vac and one TC! Don't let Linkedin fool you into thinking that a majority of people get more than one VS (those people just tend to be the loudest about it is all haha) I've also seen enough people that get multiple vacs and fumble the bag with all of them (maybe because they get too comfortable with the knowledge that they have a backup). Focus on going all out for the one you do have, because if you do there is a very high chance of getting that TC.

Some threads on converting to a TC sucessfully:

https://www.thecorporatelawacademy.com/forum/threads/vacation-scheme-preparation.2397/

Also not to willingly focus on the negative outcome here but I think it's important to remember that many people fail to convert each cycle. Having to bounce back from a post VS rejection is all too common. I've been there myself. It's not the end of the world if you don't convert because if anything the fact that you have done a VS really only means you'll have an even stronger comeback the next cycle.

Best of luck for your VS! I have no doubt we're gonna see you around the forum with that yellow future trainee badge in a couple of months! ☺️

Reactions: cmaj and Peel18416

Peel18416

Standard Member
    Feb 16, 2021
    First of all, congratulations on your VS! Not to sound like a broken record but it's honestly an amazing achievement.

In terms of dealing with the pressure, just keep reminding yourself that you only need one vac and one TC! Don't let Linkedin fool you into thinking that a majority of people get more than one VS (those people just tend to be the loudest about it is all haha) I've also seen enough people that get multiple vacs and fumble the bag with all of them (maybe because they get too comfortable with the knowledge that they have a backup). Focus on going all out for the one you do have, because if you do there is a very high chance of getting that TC.

Some threads on converting to a TC sucessfully:

https://www.thecorporatelawacademy.com/forum/threads/vacation-scheme-preparation.2397/

Also not to willingly focus on the negative outcome here but I think it's important to remember that many people fail to convert each cycle. Having to bounce back from a post VS rejection is all too common. I've been there myself. It's not the end of the world if you don't convert because if anything the fact that you have done a VS really only means you'll have an even stronger comeback the next cycle.

Best of luck for your VS! I have no doubt we're gonna see you around the forum with that yellow future trainee badge in a couple of months! ☺️
    This is really helpful - thank you!

Reactions: Dheepa

TR17

Star Member
    Jul 3, 2020
    You're not being a negative nancy at all, this forum is here for people on both their best days and their worst. Living abroad, coming home and needing to make your own ends meet by having to work in a retail role, those are life skills that really not many people have, especially if they come from a more privileged background. Firms honestly value these things just as much as any 9-5 office job (so many firms I interviewed at were far more interested in what I learnt having worked in retail than any of the other traditional corporate jobs I've held) I know how hard it can be to feel like you don't measure up or haven't done enough with life, but your experiences sound impressive enough to me and I promise you there are many firms that will think the same. Sending you all my support. 💓
    Hi Dheepa,
    Thank you for your supportive words. I think you hit the nail on the head with the feeling like you don’t measure up or haven’t done enough in your life part. It just feels particularly tough on days when it feels like nothing is going right, but I will take Your advice and everyone else’s on leveraging these experiences for the better and just keep trying even if it feels tough. Thank you again :)

• 🤝
    Reactions: Dheepa

cogito ergo sum

Star Member
  • Nov 2, 2018
    Could anybody please confirm if Macfarlanes accepts applications from international students currently studying at UK universities for their direct TC?

This screenshot from their FAQs page is slightly confusing:
    View attachment 2945

Furthermore, I've seen some other sites claiming that they don't sponsor international students.

For clarification, I have a tier 4 student visa and I am applying for their direct TC

Thanks in advance!
    Yes they do. I spoke with their GradRec team last year and they confirmed it.

Reactions: djqb
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.