2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

tractor12

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Oct 6, 2019
PFO from Withers today!
I think my applications were immensely better this year, but just not quite to the standard they needed to be at. Just out of curiosity, for those people who have gone from no AC invites in one cycle to multiple AC invites in the next, how did you manage to improve your applications without direct feedback from the firms? And is it worth applying for a firm's TC if I've been rejected for a vac scheme?
Hey sorry to hear! When did you apply?

That's great to hear your applications improved from last time, the biggest challenge in the process is to keep going after the rejections. Ultimately, your applications will get better naturally. Try and build your skillset and experiences so you have more to talk about in apps/interviews. Definitely show your applications to as many people as possible - really try and think how each sentence adds something of value. I find the application stage the toughest part of the process because firms get so many applications that they will still reject great candidates.

• Love
Reactions: BiancaR

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
If it makes you feel any better, I had an overall 2:2 in first year, including one module at a third and another which I actually failed. I managed to still get a 1st overall though, and I've still made it past application stage with a few firms despite really poor first year grades :)
That will be perceived slightly differently - that will show progression.

Reactions: ab1147

tractor12

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Oct 6, 2019
I wanted an opinion on this also like if you have a 2.2 in second or third year and you average a 2.1 overall in your degree will you be a weaker candidate and lead to rejection mainly for US and MC firms I think @Jessica Booker will be the best to answer this if possible.
Not sure about your chances at US and MC firms but I know some firms just care if you have that minimum 2:1 so definitely try to a few places

Reactions: Asil Ahmad

jwma

• Feb 18, 2021
    Is anyone still waiting to hear back re Linklaters Vacation Scheme? I applied in December, my WG score was in 88th percentile but I have not heard back from them ever since... even emailed last week but no reply whatsoever?
    How do you know what percentile your WG score was?
    I'm still waiting to hear back from Links re VS too :( But hopes aren't high as they're so far into their ACs already...

John Travoni

Legendary Member
    Jan 14, 2021
    PFO from Withers today!
    I think my applications were immensely better this year, but just not quite to the standard they needed to be at. Just out of curiosity, for those people who have gone from no AC invites in one cycle to multiple AC invites in the next, how did you manage to improve your applications without direct feedback from the firms? And is it worth applying for a firm's TC if I've been rejected for a vac scheme?
    Was this post the application stage? And when did you apply if you don’t mind me asking ?

Phoenix for all

Distinguished Member
  • Feb 13, 2020
    In previous ACs I found that I'am really bad at doing written exercise and often struggle to finish my write up before time's up. I think it's most likely due to lack of practice (I often panic during the test), but I can't seem to any good resource out there... How do people prepare for their AC written exercise?

Ricky

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Sep 16, 2018
    In previous ACs I found that I'am really bad at doing written exercise and often struggle to finish my write up before time's up. I think it's most likely due to lack of practice (I often panic during the test), but I can't seem to any good resource out there... How do people prepare for their AC written exercise?
    Take an article from the big read section on FT and give yourself 45 mins to read it and write a one page summary.

Kelly_

Distinguished Member
    Nov 9, 2020
    Hoping today is the day we hear back from OC
    Daffy Duck Waiting GIF

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    I like @Ricky's advice here - I'd keep practicing under timed conditions before the real thing.

You're also welcome to try our mock case studies (legal and M&A) which were based on two law firm written exercises. We're no longer able to mark these, but it can still be useful to attempt.

LEL

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jul 22, 2020
    Hey, I found using my phone as an alarm really helped. For instance I would give myself 10m to summarise this article as best I could, and as soon as the 10m was over I told myself to move on, finished or not, to make sure I had time to complete the whole task. Of course, leave sufficient time to come back to it if you need to add more

Allocate different chunks of time depending on the complexity of the task and be strict with yourself on this!

Reactions: S87
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.