Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
In previous ACs I found that I'am really bad at doing written exercise and often struggle to finish my write up before time's up. I think it's most likely due to lack of practice (I often panic during the test), but I can't seem to any good resource out there... How do people prepare for their AC written exercise?
Most exercises are designed so a significant number of people will not complete it in the time allocated. It’s not necessarily a bad thing if you don’t complete it.

Reactions: cmaj and FM302989

gg332dd

Valued Member
Apr 2, 2020
Most exercises are designed so a significant number of people will not complete it in the time allocated. It’s not necessarily a bad thing if you don’t complete it.

Can you elaborate on this please? What do they assess exactly with written exercises, and why is it ok if you don't complete it?

I always struggled with these too as my handwriting is generally very slow

Reactions: CalibreX1

conniekatherine

Esteemed Member
Sep 30, 2019
Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that! Don't worry about it too much though, you'll deffo have other opportunities. What was it about the interview that tripped you up? Were there any particularly hard questions?
Honestly I thought it went quite well! Probably just didn’t stress why Jones Day over other firms enough / why the non-rotational TC

law230

Esteemed Member
Jan 20, 2021
Anyone who applied for Shearman Spring Scheme still waiting? I understand that Paul has made it clear the large amount of application reviews and interviews that the Grad Rec are conducting but the Spring Scheme is very soon! Seems likely it will be a PFO :(
Same still waiting. No overly hopeful. Hopefully we'll here back today bc I cant stand another week of this.

cryingoverTCs

Legendary Member
  • Mar 1, 2020
    I'm trying to prep a commercial awareness story for an interview and I have already prepared a Fintech one and a COVID related one and now I wanted to prep one to do with ESG but I can't find too many specific news stories recently - do you think it's ok to just talk in general about the rising importance of ESG factors and drop in some examples? And then connect it to how law firms can be involved?

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    In previous ACs I found that I'am really bad at doing written exercise and often struggle to finish my write up before time's up. I think it's most likely due to lack of practice (I often panic during the test), but I can't seem to any good resource out there... How do people prepare for their AC written exercise?

Agree with everything that's been said about practicing under timed conditions.

I think you should also ask yourself if perhaps the issue is with how much you are trying to cover in your response. It's more important to be thorough with the analysis of the points you do cover rather than trying to cover too much. Perhaps something you can focus on is ensuring you are discussing your main more substantial points first so that even if you do run out of time the analysis firms look for with written exercises is still present. Not saying it's always going to be acceptable to not finish your points but it's happened to me on more than one occasion and although in my feedback calls I was told I did get marked down for that, I was still successful because of the depth of my analysis.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.