Jony

Legendary Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Oct 19, 2020
    My results so far...

Pending (AC): Freshfields, White & Case
    Pending (VI): Latham & Watkins
    Pending: Cooley, Ropes & Gray
    Rejected: Linklaters, HSF, Akin Gump, Cleary Gottlieb, Covington, Davis Polk, Milbank, Sidley Austin, Skadden (after phone interview)
    Assuming rejected: Gibson Dunn, Kirkland & Ellis, MoFo

Curious mate - if you didn't want a MC TC, why'd you apply for links and FF?

Waiting alongside you for Cooley, and I wouldn't cancel out Mofo just yet - they take a while to get back to folks.

Cooley's AC is absolutely intense though - something to hopefully look forward to!

Samantha

Legendary Member
    Nov 18, 2020
    My results so far...

Rejected: Linklaters, HSF, Akin Gump, Cleary Gottlieb, Covington, Davis Polk, Milbank, Sidley Austin, Skadden (after phone interview)

I don’t think you should write off Gibson dunn yet! So few have heard back

RS134

• Sep 17, 2020
    My results so far...

I know it can be worrying because a few people have posted about MoFo, but they do take a while so it's not something I've crossed off yet either :)

Naomi U

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    Dec 8, 2019
    Any advice on how to prepare for interviews involving the discussion of a topical news article? I've had two interviews like this and don't think that either has gone particularly well. I try my best to regularly read the news (FT, Economist, Guardian etc) and genuinely enjoy learning about a range of commercial/political topics, but find it really difficult to maintain an argument when being grilled by a partner for 30 mins straight haha
    Hiya!

I think sometimes this comes down to the structure of your arguments. When reading articles I would often try to pick up points using the PESTLE structure (Political, Economic, Social, Technological, Legal and Environmental). For each point, I would try to think pretty holistically e.g. what is the impact? why is this the impact? what are the wider effects? what are my personal opinions? etc.

I think sometimes they just want to see your ability to reason. It's perfectly okay to stand your ground on a point as long as you are able to acknowledge and discuss alternative perspectives.

Hope this helps! ☺️

tps209

Standard Member
    Oct 17, 2020
    Hiya!

I think sometimes this comes down to the structure of your arguments. When reading articles I would often try to pick up points using the PESTLE structure (Political, Economic, Social, Technological, Legal and Environmental). For each point, I would try to think pretty holistically e.g. what is the impact? why is this the impact? what are the wider effects? what are my personal opinions? etc.

I think sometimes they just want to see your ability to reason. It's perfectly okay to stand your ground on a point as long as you are able to acknowledge and discuss alternative perspectives.

Hope this helps! ☺️
    Thanks a lot for this! Will definitely use the PESTLE structure moving forward :)

Reactions: Naomi U and S87

cryingoverTCs

Legendary Member
  • Mar 1, 2020
    how would you answer the question "what sectors do we operate in and how?" in an interview? I think the 'how' part is confusing me!
    Also, has anyone been asked a question in an interview about the developments in a specific sector that the firm operates in? how did you answer this?

Thank you!

xht

Distinguished Member
    Feb 17, 2021
    My results so far...

when did you apply for w&C and latham? and were they for summer or spring? and good luck anyways !!!!!

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Curious mate - if you didn't want a MC TC, why'd you apply for links and FF?

Waiting alongside you for Cooley, and I wouldn't cancel out Mofo just yet - they take a while to get back to folks.

Cooley's AC is absolutely intense though - something to hopefully look forward to!
    I agree the thing about they are really competitive like I have seen the competition for Cooley and am just waiting for my PFO but lets hope all of us here get Cooley test invite.

Reactions: Emily Kate
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.