2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

jd3447

Star Member
Jan 25, 2021
Has anyone not heard from Mishcon? It has been crickets from them. I went on their website today and it said at the bottom that those not shortlisted won't be contacted due to the volume they've received. But I know people who have gotten rejections.
I think this is for their recruitment process outside of early careers. They will email with a rejection if that’s the case (plenty of people have had PFOs this year and I got last year)

Reactions: Maude

Veep9

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • Sep 8, 2020
    Does anyone have tips about how to prepare a commercial awareness story for the “tell us something in the news that has interested you”? In three ACs I’ve never been asked that but I know this firm has asked such a question in the past.

I have been following a few stories for a while and have read what the media is saying, what newsletters like finimize think, etc. I guess what I’m asking is how would you recommend practicing talking about the issue. On the eve of the AC, what can I do to help myself draw out the various angles?

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Does anyone have tips about how to prepare a commercial awareness story for the “tell us something in the news that has interested you”? In three ACs I’ve never been asked that but I know this firm has asked such a question in the past.

I have been following a few stories for a while and have read what the media is saying, what newsletters like finimize think, etc. I guess what I’m asking is how would you recommend practicing talking about the issue. On the eve of the AC, what can I do to help myself draw out the various angles?

With the stories you have been following for a while, have any in particular stood out to you? A story that you enjoyed reading and following? That would be my starting point.

My approach would be to read as many related news stories as I can about the topic. For example, I would click through any links in existing articles and read all the prior articles on the topic, so you can see how the story has developed over time (if appropriate).

Ideally, I would also read multiple opinion pieces/forum discussions/comments sections as I could to get a sense of what other people think about the topic. You might also want to look for podcast interviews and YouTube discussions on the topic. I would be thinking about what is my opinion on the topic throughout.

Finally, I'd practise summarising the topic aloud under timed conditions. I'd also try to answer questions like:

- Do I agree with how the author has written their article?
    - Why do I find this story interesting?
    - How does this link to other stories I have read?
    - What are the future implications of this story?

Last edited:
    • 🏆
    Reactions: Daniel Boden and Veep9

Veep9

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 8, 2020
    My approach would be to read as many related news stories as I can about the topic. For example, I would click through any links in existing articles and read all the prior articles on the topic, so you can see how the story has developed over time (if appropriate).

Ideally, I would also read multiple opinion pieces/forum discussions/comments sections as I could to get a sense of what other people think about the topic. You might also want to look for podcast interviews and YouTube discussions on the topic. I would be thinking about what is my opinion on the topic throughout.

Finally, I'd practise summarising the topic aloud under timed conditions. I'd also try to answer questions like:

- Do I agree with how the author has written their article?
    - Why do I find this story interesting?
    - How does this link to other stories I have read?
    - What are the future implications of this story?
    Thank you so much! I’ve read a variety of opinions, I’m just stressing that it isn’t enough or I’m missing something. Your final two paragraphs about practicing out loud are incredibly helpful. 👏🏽

Celestie

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    Lol I just got my video interview feedback from PwC and it's safe to say I fell down on the 3D printing questions, dare I say I am not surprised! 😂
    They had the cheek to tell me to work on my teamwork when I have been on 6 successful society committees and work 2 teamwork jobs. Honestly useless feedback 😂😂

Adanna

Jan 14, 2021
    Hey guys, I wanted to gauge my chances post a written exercise for Willkie. After sending it in, I realised that I had made one spelling mistake and written “the” twice. Had an hour to read and write and I’m hoping the people reading will be speed reading but it’s been keeping me awake.

• 🤝
    Reactions: Chloe L

Chloe L

Valued Member
    Dec 24, 2020
    Hey guys, I wanted to gauge my chances post a written exercise for Willkie. After sending it in, I realised that I had made one spelling mistake and written “the” twice. Had an hour to read and write and I’m hoping the people reading will be speed reading but it’s been keeping me awake.
    Honestly, let it go. It’s done now darling. It will be marked by Associates and partners, not grad rec if that’s ANY consolation? I completely stuffed up my VI and thought I was a gonner for sure 😂

Reactions: OB and FM302989

OB

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    Gemma is a stickler for typos and spelling but hopefully she’ll have an acceptable leeway given the time pressure

cryingoverTCs

Legendary Member
  • Mar 1, 2020
    I have an AC coming up and it will consist of a negotiation exercise and a case study and presentation
    I have never done an AC so I am uber stressed bc I have no idea how to prep or what to do! Does anyone have any tips? I don't want to waste this chance!
    Also there are only 4 people on this AC altogether - is that normal? I feel like they will all know what they're doing and I'll just look like an idiot and no law firm wants to hire an idiot

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.