2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

AJLegacy

Star Member
Jan 25, 2021
Can someone please explain to me this. I have been putting my Baker McKenzie training contract application question answers into the online form. Ine of the answers on Microsoft word is 295 words but on my online application form, it is 302 words. This has been stressing me out for the past half an hour. Did anyone else have this issue.

Edit - I checked the word count of that answer in another law firm application like copy and paste that answer in another application portal and it is 297 words so what could this mean.
This can happen if you have track changes in your Word answer. They sometimes carry across.

Reactions: Asil Ahmad

Jony

Legendary Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Oct 19, 2020
    I have an AC coming up and it will consist of a negotiation exercise and a case study and presentation
    I have never done an AC so I am uber stressed bc I have no idea how to prep or what to do! Does anyone have any tips? I don't want to waste this chance!
    Also there are only 4 people on this AC altogether - is that normal? I feel like they will all know what they're doing and I'll just look like an idiot and no law firm wants to hire an idiot

If you don't believe in yourself, nobody will!

You've gotten this far over hundreds of applicants. You ARE special, and you're going to ace this. It's normal to undervalue yourself, but remember that if anyone can get you through this AC, it's you. I used to work with the crypto industry, and a moniker there was:

'Make it easy for them to hire you.'

Make it easy for them.

So I see three things:

1) Negotiation exercise - check out @Jacob Miller's crazy good resources on being successful at negotiation here.

2) Case study - again, Jacob beat all of us to it. See it here.

3) Presentation - is it a spontaneous presentation or a prepared one? I know anonymity is important for you but if you mention the firm some people might have experiences with the AC that they're willing to share! Alternatively, you can search around the forum using the 'search' function to look for people who've done the AC, and then private message them. Look at yourself in the mirror and practice your speaking, and make sure you can convince yourself of your own confidence!

edit* if this is somehow for a firm that rhymes with LoFo, this thread might be of some use.

Last edited:

paan

Feb 26, 2020
    Hi! I am a second year law student and I haven't managed to secure a VS this application cycle. I will try again next year (which is my final year at uni) and I was wondering whether or not that means that if I secure a TC then, I will have to take a gap year between finishing uni and starting either the LPC or the training contract. I know some firms offer winter VS for finalists but I'm unsure to which trainee intake they apply to.

Reactions: ellwilsen

Jony

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Oct 19, 2020
    Hi! I am a second year law student and I haven't managed to secure a VS this application cycle. I will try again next year (which is my final year at uni) and I was wondering whether or not that means that if I secure a TC then, I will have to take a gap year between finishing uni and starting either the LPC or the training contract. I know some firms offer winter VS for finalists but I'm unsure to which trainee intake they apply to.

Final year law here. I didn't apply for anything in my second year, and I have two VSes coming up in my first cycle applying.

Firm up your applications for the winter season - plenty of my friends got VSes and conversions into TCs then.

Start clearing your schedule for September and October - while you apply for Winter VSes, you'll also have to churn out Spring and Summer VSes.

Depends on the firm. Sometimes they have space in the 2023 intake, but I think for most firms for you it will be the 2024 intake, for which you'll have quite some time before starting your TC after the LPC.

*I'm taking a gap year to either work in ministry or to do aid work with my previous NGOs because I know the 2022 intake is saturated and cut-down because of COVID. So I probably will have to enter in 2023 if it all works out. Depending on the intake sizes, you'll have to ask your firm how many spaces there are.

Last edited:
    Reactions: YFA, paan and djqb

CareerChanger

Valued Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 5, 2021
    For those who have done any form of written exercise at AC what's the general sort of task that they could ask you to do? Case study and then present it in a written format or something else?
    I think it varies a bit but the one I did recently involved proof reading, drafting a letter and filling a document. All the info was based on some documents related to a particular case study.

JKs

Feb 24, 2019
    Received my final PFO today from Farrers.. Although the rejection was really positive, and they told me I made it down to the final shortlist of 5 candidates, this is my second cycle without making it past the application stage on any of my apps. I graduate this spring, and I know this is my weak point, but I honestly have no idea how I can improve at this stage. I only applied for 10 firms this year so I could really focus on tailoring each application. How can I realistically improve my applications, and is it even possible to go from a cycle of all rejections to a vac scheme or TC? Any advice whatsoever is appreciated- I have no idea where I'm going wrong and just want to make a bit of progress!
    Hi!

Hope you're feeling okay (and it's completely fine and normal if you're not)!

I also went through 2 cycles at university without securing any vacation schemes despite having submitted 10+ applications both cycles, attending so many open days and networking events, and having my application reviewed by careers service and future trainees. I managed to get through to two interviews/ACs but I didn't perform that well and in hindsight, I don't think I was quite ready at the time. After I graduated, I decided to self-fund the LPC with the help of my parents and apply for paralegal roles whilst also continuing to apply for vacation schemes. That year, I didn't get past the application stage for any of my vacation scheme applications but towards the end of my LPC, I managed to secure a paralegal role at a MC firm. I figured that spending time as a paralegal would offer me a much better insight into a career in commercial law compared to a 2 week vacation scheme. When I felt confident that I had built up enough experience, I decided to scrap the vacation scheme applications and apply for direct TC applications instead. Balancing a full time paralegal job alongside doing applications was quite tricky as I simply did not have as much free time compared to when I was studying so I ended up submitting fewer applications and taking a much more targeted approach. I also took some time off for myself. If I had a busy or stressful week at work, then rather than forcing myself to do more applications at the weekend, I would take time off to do things I enjoy and just try to switch off so I could rest my mind and body. Mentally, my mindset had also changed. I went from thinking that my entire life would depend on one application to taking a 'if I get it, I get it' approach and 'if I don't get it, then that's not the end of the world'. This really helped me because I used to invest myself so emotionally into my applications and so when I didn't progress to the next stage, I would be really disappointed in myself.

Have you tried getting your applications reviewed by others? E.g. careers service, TCLA, future trainees, even friends and family. They might be able to provide some pointers and it can be helpful to have a fresh pair of eyes look over your application sometimes.

I know it can be scary graduating without a a VS or TC but I would really suggest taking some time off to relax for a bit (it can be for a few weeks, a month, a few months, whatever you need). Then hopefully you will be able to come back feeling refreshed and ready for the next cycle and perhaps consider applying for paralegal roles as well as for VS/TCs.

Hope this helps and happy to chat if you need someone!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.