2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lawyer101

Distinguished Member
  • Dec 30, 2020
    If I am unable to accept a vacation scheme offer (because of a clash with another VS) could I ask about the possibility of being considered for a training contract? Thanks in advance!

Just want to say a massive thank you to @Jacob Miller for your guides - they were incredibly helpful and assisted me throughout the assessment days!

Last edited:
    • Love
    Reactions: Jacob Miller

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    If I am unable to accept a vacation scheme offer (because of a clash with another VS) could I ask about the possibility of being considered for a training contract? Thanks in advance!

Just wanted to say I am incredibly grateful to be in this position and I want to extend my thanks to @Jacob Miller as your guides really helped me through the assessment days!
    Yes this is a pretty normal thing to happen so no harm in asking the firm to either transfer to a different VS or to the direct TC route - be prepared for them to say no, but it does happen so feel free to ask :)

gricole

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Jul 6, 2018
    Hi there, I got my PFOs from Shearman and Weil today. As this is my 3rd cycle and I'm not having much success with apps this time, I decided to subscribe to TCLA Premium and work with the team on my direct TC apps. I hope I'll have more success soon and will bring you some positive news! I haven't been as active as before in writing here but I regularly read the forum and your community support is really valuable to me (and the rest of the TCLA members I'm sure!). :)

cryingoverTCs

Legendary Member
  • Mar 1, 2020
    If you don't believe in yourself, nobody will!

You've gotten this far over hundreds of applicants. You ARE special, and you're going to ace this. It's normal to undervalue yourself, but remember that if anyone can get you through this AC, it's you. I used to work with the crypto industry, and a moniker there was:

'Make it easy for them to hire you.'

Make it easy for them.

So I see three things:

1) Negotiation exercise - check out @Jacob Miller's crazy good resources on being successful at negotiation here.

2) Case study - again, Jacob beat all of us to it. See it here.

3) Presentation - is it a spontaneous presentation or a prepared one? I know anonymity is important for you but if you mention the firm some people might have experiences with the AC that they're willing to share! Alternatively, you can search around the forum using the 'search' function to look for people who've done the AC, and then private message them. Look at yourself in the mirror and practice your speaking, and make sure you can convince yourself of your own confidence!

edit* if this is somehow for a firm that rhymes with LoFo, this thread might be of some use.
    Thank you for this! I think the thing that's makes me most nervous is that I can only prepare a certain amount because most of it is dependant on what happens on the day and I hate that 😭

I think it's a spontaneous one as I have not been given any info about what to present.

It's for BCLP so I will go have a look now - thank you!
    If anyone has done the BCLP AC, please dm me!

• 🏆
    Reactions: collie_121

Shannon Balnaves

Standard Member
    Mar 6, 2019
    First application cycle and first AC for Mayer Brown (who I REALLY like!) Please please please does anyone have any experience/ advice?! I am so nervous!!
    The Big Bang Theory Reaction GIF

Etudierlaw2022

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 10, 2021
    At what point is it cheeky to email grad rec and ask for an update? I'm seeing so many rejections for W&C spring and summer scheme but haven't received any news post-app (for spring vs), so I'm wondering if this means I'm being considered for the summer scheme

Reactions: ellwilsen

Soccerox73

Star Member
    Sep 24, 2020
    Hi there, I got my PFOs from Shearman and Weil today. As this is my 3rd cycle and I'm not having much success with apps this time, I decided to subscribe to TCLA Premium and work with the team on my direct TC apps. I hope I'll have more success soon and will bring you some positive news! I haven't been as active as before in writing here but I regularly read the forum and your community support is really valuable to me (and the rest of the TCLA members I'm sure!). :)
    Hey, so sorry for the PFOs, and glad you're keeping your head up! May I just ask whether these were post-app or post-AC?

Staples

Legendary Member
  • Sep 11, 2020
    safe to assume rejection from PMC/CRS/HFW/Bates Wells if I haven't heard anything post app !?! (London offices)
    I haven’t heard ANYTHING from PMC and BW post-app and I’m assuming rejection from both at this point :( (I even asked PMC for an update last week... *crickets*)

• Sad
    Reactions: C

CareerChanger

Valued Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 5, 2021
    I haven’t heard back yet but should know by the end of this week. GR said they’d get back to me by the end of February.
    Thanks. That makes sense. I had my AC yesterday (not expecting to have already heard, just wondered on timescales). I *think* yesterdays was the last AC because there were not any alternative slots when I booked.

xht

Distinguished Member
    Feb 17, 2021
    At what point is it cheeky to email grad rec and ask for an update? I'm seeing so many rejections for W&C spring and summer scheme but haven't received any news post-app (for spring vs), so I'm wondering if this means I'm being considered for the summer scheme
    i'm in the same boat tbh and i rlly hope the latter is true lol

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.