2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayC

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Junior Lawyer
Jan 8, 2021
I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but what are the differences between strengths and competencies?? Is a strength something you're strong at while a competency is something you're merely competent at lol

Jony

Legendary Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Oct 19, 2020
    It shouldn’t solely be about the money. I know it’s why most people choose this career but you have to really love the work too. The hours are awful and your entire life becomes your job. If you hate the work itself then that will make it more unbearable. £100,000 + is a phenomenal salary, but after tax and living expenses of living as close to the office as possible and having little time to actually spend your money, is it worth it if you don’t actually like the work?

With all that being said, I don’t think you’d be doing much tort/land law at Dechert?
    Adding on to this:

My flatmate had an incredible fast stream internship with the Civil Service - they were supportive like none other company I've seen. My girlfriend also wants to join the Fast Stream - they apparently have incredibly flexible working practices, and once you're in you're able to transfer between departments pretty seamlessly! Needless to say, their pension schemes are top class as well if you get in through the Fast Stream.

Defo give it a good think over, and all the best @Kablahc for making it to the 1.5% (?) of applicants who make it into the FS ;)

* that being said, if one had to join a US law firm for work/life balance, Dechert has the best work-life balances in the city (see chambers and legalcheek) ... apparently because it has a lacking of a social scene lol

**but who joins a US firm for worklife balance? 🤣

Andrew M

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Jan 7, 2020
    I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but what are the differences between strengths and competencies?? Is a strength something you're strong at while a competency is something you're merely competent at lol
    Do you mean the difference between strength and competency questions in interviews, or just generally?

If you're asking regarding interviews, the questions usually require a different structure to the answer. A competency will usually be asking you to describe (using STAR) a time when you've displayed X skill. Whereas a strength based question will try to gage your strengths based on how you respond to the question - e.g. "how do you deal with failures?", "how would you handle a situation if your supervisor asked you to lie?".

• Love
    Reactions: JayC

rb26

Star Member
  • Sep 6, 2019
    Hi there,

Has anyone completed the Gateleys assessment/ VI and have any advice?
    I am currently so busy with LPC exams/ an internship and preparation for an AC that I just don't know if I can dedicate much time to this 🥲

thewaythecookiecrumbles

Distinguished Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 14, 2021
    Does anyone else have a non-law job offer that they're seriously considering taking over a TC?? I got on the Fast Stream this year and I absolutely hated my 2nd year uni modules (tort/land especially) so if Dechert doesn't come thru with that £100,000 NQ salary I'm not sure what else could possibly motivate me to do the LPC 😂
    Just wanted to add my two pence in this, I'm doing the LPC right now and the course really does step away from academic law and focuses more on the application of it in certain scenarios. You also may have an opportunity in choosing electives at the end of the year so you can really tailor the course into what you actually enjoy. I definitely wouldn't worry about the LPC and wouldn't consider it as a deal breaker!

WannabeSolicitor24

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer 26
  • Apr 14, 2020
    Does anyone else have a non-law job offer that they're seriously considering taking over a TC?? I got on the Fast Stream this year and I absolutely hated my 2nd year uni modules (tort/land especially) so if Dechert doesn't come thru with that £100,000 NQ salary I'm not sure what else could possibly motivate me to do the LPC 😂
    I know this is a forum about applying to law Firms but my honest opinion is that if you don't get a TC this cycle you should take the FS offer. I know loads of people who have been unsuccessful in getting it so you have done super super well to get an offer! Alongside the work/life balance and pensions benefits as mentioned above, you also start work immediately.

If you were sadly unsuccessful in getting a TC this cycle, it could be 2024 before you start a TC and 2026 by the time you qualify, and you will also have LPC debt etc.
    The FS you start work immediately and by 2026 you will have 5 years experience which you could then leverage into private practice/business.

Just my thoughts, but imo the FS is a better bet than self-funding the LPC with no guarantee of a TC at the end of it!

Best of luck :)

Celestie

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    Yep, I have an offer at an American finance company that I have waiting if law doesn't work out :)

But it's not about the money, it's about whether the job is for you.

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    I know that this is not the right page..but I was wondering if there is someone who studied music copyright law and can send me some material.
    Really appreciate your help!

anon101

Distinguished Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Oct 2, 2020
    hate to sound like a broken record, but has anyone heard from Baker McKenzie post VI for summer vs. The email they sent me for the VI said we should hear by the end of Feb, with ACs schedule for march 2, 4, 10, 12, 16 (I think).
    Yeah, those are the right dates and I haven't heard anything either. I'm guessing we should hear by the end of today or tomorrow, latest? But yes, it's driving me insane too lol 🥲

Reactions: CorporateB3
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.