2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holly

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Nov 23, 2019
Not going to lie, that one would have stumped me as well. I don’t think the budget is something many people keep up with at all. Did they bring it up off the back of things you were already discussing or was it really out of the blue? In my experience, most partners tend to stick to things you’ve mentioned and interest in the app or throughout the interview.

The hardest CA question I got asked was about how bonds get issued. And they really meant the nitty gritty technical specifics. I actually just wanted to leave the interview at that point haha.
@Dheepa how would you respond if you were asked what other ways to reduce budget deficit? Other than tax, I’m thinking reducing government expenditure and issuing government bonds? I don’t think I’d talk about quantitative easing here

Reactions: Bugsy Malone

ab1147

Esteemed Member
Jan 21, 2021
Does anyone know whether the Hill Dickinson interview is the final stage? I thought online it said there would be a written assessment after, but at the end of the interview they said they'd let us know the outcome by the end of march which seems a bit late??

collie_121

Esteemed Member
Future Trainee
Sep 30, 2020
Not going to lie, that one would have stumped me as well. I don’t think the budget is something many people keep up with at all. Did they bring it up off the back of things you were already discussing or was it really out of the blue? In my experience, most partners tend to stick to things you’ve mentioned and interest in the app or throughout the interview.

The hardest CA question I got asked was about how bonds get issued. And they really meant the nitty gritty technical specifics. I actually just wanted to leave the interview at that point haha.
Agreed - safe to say that was me out hahaha. Nope just a stand-alone question! Was the bonds question stand-alone as well?

Lawsm21

Oct 19, 2020
If you applied for the Summer Scheme in the 2019- 2020 cycle and were successful, but got postponed to 2021 then you can apply for the 2021 Training Contract cycle for a 2023 start London or 2022 start elsewhere. If you applied during the 2020-21 cycle for a Summer Scheme then you can't apply for a Training Contract until next cycle.
It makes zero sense at all as a recruitment strategy in my opinion - why exclusively hire people who are not on your vacation scheme? #odd
Ah thanks so much for explaining this, really appreciate it!! Wow yeah that is very odd!! Hoping that it will all still work out for us despite this confusing strategy :))

Dheepa

Legendary Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
TCLA Moderator
Premium Member
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    I'm so sorry if this is a bit of a ignorant question, but do direct TC applications differ significantly from VS applications? Does anyone know if they generally more/less competitive (I've heard both). I have a bit of legal experience (mostly volunteering in courts, some work-shadowing at an international firm) but am not sure if this will be enough for a TC application?

That’s definitely enough legal work experience for a TC app. While I do think firms look for much stronger why commercial law answers in direct TC apps, I know many people who have gotten direct TCs without any legal work experience and just some open days and events. It’s more a question of being able to draw on all your experiences to demonstrate compelling reasons for wanting the job.

Whether or not direct TC apps are more competitive depends on the firm I think. If you’re applying to a firm that has a preference for recruiting from vacs then logically the direct TC will be more competitive because there would be less spaces up for grabs. You can check out this thread for an idea of where firms tend to recruit from https://www.thecorporatelawacademy.com/forum/threads/where-firms-recruit-from-direct-tc-vs.2723/

LEL

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jul 22, 2020
    Hey does anyone know if W&C’s three-day window for the VI is actually 3-day sharp? I got it yesterday evening and it says until the 27th (GMT 00:00). I am not sure if this means tomorrow night or two nights from now and am really hoping it’s the latter. Would really appreciate some help because I’m scared I’ll try doing it on Saturday and realise it expired lol
    Hi, I'm not sure as some firms count the day it was sent on, but if you can do it Saturday morning or Friday evening/night would be even better

CareerChanger

Valued Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 5, 2021
    White & Case PFO

maggie smith love GIF

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.