Staff member
Future Trainee
TCLA Moderator
Premium Member
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    In terms of strategies for the next cycle of VS applications, does anyone prepare their answers or covering letters in advance of the deadline opening for firms knowing they ask the same questions or if they use a cover letter?

I did this! I think it is good way to reduce the stress of writing quality apps during the busy season when you'd be swamped with uni. It only backfired miserably once when I'd written out my answers for the questions on the NRF application and they decided to change it last year to a cover letter. I was super 😒😒 about it but all the research I had already done was really helpful for the cover letter anyway.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Does Ashurst offer exemptions on the basis of disabilities for its games??
    They should be able to if you request it and explain why you need the adjustment. Not all disabilities would need an adjustment for such an assessment, so it very much depends on the individual’s requirements.

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    In terms of strategies for the next cycle of VS applications, does anyone prepare their answers or covering letters in advance of the deadline opening for firms knowing they ask the same questions or if they use a cover letter?
    Sorry I missed this until now - yes, 100% this is something worth doing, especially for firms who recruit rolling! I also made sure my CV was 100% on point and up-to-date for apps that ask you to submit it as well.
    Pre-cycle open, you can also complete substantive research on firms, identify key jobs worth discussing in apps, etc - these are all things which require substantial working hours at the time and can slow down your whole app process :)

hktr

Star Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 10, 2019
    Hey guys! I have two vacation schemes in the bag should I be applying to more schemes or TCs ( I'm only anxious because last summer I had one vacation scheme and I did not convert it.
    Firstly very well done on your 2 VS offers!

I think whether you should make more applications depends to an extent on the VS to TC offer conversion rate of the schemes you already have. Although of course you should be aiming to put your best foot forward regardless, I think that the disparity between different firms does make a difference (some offer upwards of 70-80% of VS candidates TCs, while the percentage for others is much lower).

Putting in a few good apps to other firms you have a genuine interest in can never hurt though.

Reactions: deckoking123
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.