Future Trainee
TCLA Moderator
Premium Member
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Thank you, that's great.

The rather unusual, yet somewhat fortunate position I am in is that a firm I applied to for a VS has accelerated my application towards a direct TC interview. So, I've not actually done the VS, nor do I have any other prior work experience that is legally related. In this scenario, do you think the interview will be much more like a general VS interview with, as you said, more emphasis on digging deeper?

Also, how would you answer the following question: "you have no legal work experience, why should we hire you over other candidates that have"?

Yup, definitely. If you haven’t done the VS it will be just a tougher version of a typical VS interview.

I think the second one is hard to give advice on without knowing your exact experiences to date. Feel free to PM me if you want to talk your answer through. Some generic thoughts I have are that I would maybe answer it in two parts. One, how I learnt what I know about the work a commercial lawyer does and what draws me to it. I’m assuming you have attended events or open days with various firms and I would draw on anything substantive you’ve learnt through these that demonstrate that tangible interest. Two, I’d highlight skills that I have that are directly related to things trainees/lawyers do. So things like research, analytical ability, client service. What experiences have you had that made you realise you enjoyed those things and would find a career that drew on that fulfilling?

Reactions: Kola

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Wondering if anyone can shed any light on what's happening to me rn...

Back in December I was invited to an AC with a large firm and my only option was to book it for March. It was in fact supposed to be today. I've been waiting since then. A couple of weeks ago I got into contact with GR to sort out my reasonable adjustments. They called me, but said that due to internal reasons they couldn't hold any ACs during the week starting 1 March and mine would have to be rescheduled to the end of the month, which wouldn't affect my app. I was like alright but chatting to people on here I've since found out they ARE running ACs this week, including the one today, but for some reason have moved me out of it?? And I've had no contact with GR since they suggested the end of the month date. I've emailed but they haven't confirmed the day or time. Does anyone have any idea why this has happened? If it's just because they want to move me to a separate AC because of my adjustments I don't understand why they would lie and say none are going on this week.

This sounds awful and I’m so sorry you’re having to deal with it. Can you call GR? Maybe that will get you a quicker answer?

Reactions: Jaysen

CareerChanger

Valued Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 5, 2021
    Just received an AC invite for Addleshaw Goddard (completed the VI two weeks ago). Unfortunately the date in the email is next Tuesday and I have a post AC partner interview with another firm on that date. :( Have asked if there are any alternative dates available.
    I'll have the partner interview spot if you can't rearrange? JK. Hope you get to take up both opportunities!

J32

Valued Member
    Future Trainee
    Apr 4, 2019
    Thank you, that's great.

The rather unusual, yet somewhat fortunate position I am in is that a firm I applied to for a VS has accelerated my application towards a direct TC interview. So, I've not actually done the VS, nor do I have any other prior work experience that is legally related. In this scenario, do you think the interview will be much more like a general VS interview with, as you said, more emphasis on digging deeper?

Also, how would you answer the following question: "you have no legal work experience, why should we hire you over other candidates that have"?

Hi! I faced a similar situation in the summer for my VS (it was shortened a lot) so I was almost purely assessed based on the TC interviews. I imagine the firm (especially if it's an elite US firm) will ask deeper questions to test your interest in the firm (i.e. what makes them different, why do they focus on particular practice areas, do you understand the attributes you need to succeed at the firm etc). You'd be expected to answer such Qs with a lot of detail, as if you've spent some time with the firm.

In terms of your final question, you could point to any exposure through open days and the intangibles that are necessary to pursue commercial law as a career like commercial awareness etc.

Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions :)

Last edited:
    • 🤝
    Reactions: Kola and Daniel Boden

Andrew M

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Jan 7, 2020
    I'll have the partner interview spot if you can't rearrange? JK. Hope you get to take up both opportunities!
    I'll give you the AC instead. 😅

The AG assessment centre seems pretty full on, so I wouldn't really want to try and do it in the morning and then end up completely drained for my M&R interview in the afternoon. It's tough though because I really like both firms...

Reactions: CareerChanger

Kablahc

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Winner
  • Aug 31, 2020
    I am really sorry that this happened to you. I am someone who needs reasonable adjustments too so I understand how hard it was to make this kind of request. Try to stay calm, get the necessary information and when you get the VS keep in mind this experience!
    This sounds awful and I’m so sorry you’re having to deal with it. Can you call GR? Maybe that will get you a quicker answer?
    Thank you guys! Ill probably take that advice and stay calm about it, and ill wait to see what they do at the end of the month, since I'm supposing my chances for securing the VS are low considering theyre this flippant about my adjustments (the first time we organised a date GR forgot to call me, not to mention how they completely blanked me when I emailed asking if I would need adjustments for the pre AC interview). Shocking how a firm with so many people hasn't been able to deal with this one thing

Andrew M

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Jan 7, 2020
    Umm if a firm handed out VS offers yesterday for the same AC I was on and I haven’t heard anything, is it safe to assume a pfo? lol
    Not necessarily. It may be taking them a while, or you may be in the "maybe" group of candidates that they will contact if others decline an offer. But it's not a no until it's a no. :)

• 🤝
    Reactions: Daniel Boden and layla rose

CF1234

Star Member
    Dec 15, 2020
    hey guys, i've got through to final interview with W+C, it's tomorrow! one manic day ahead. I was wondering if anyone has any advice on how to approach the interview or written task? Case study tasks are where I fall down, time and time again.
    W+C is my favourite firm, and to get a VS here after so many rejections would be so so good. So any help would be super useful. Thank you!!

• 🏆
    Reactions: Hugh Jarse and AJLegacy
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.