2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

frow3n

Distinguished Member
Aug 19, 2019
Does anyone know when we can expect to hear back from Willkie post written exercise? Did mine on the 9th Feb. Also, when is the spring scheme even meant to be?
Not sure - the email said end of Feb but I think they've had far more applications than they anticipated. Spring Scheme dates are 12 to 23 April.

I'm not even sure which one I applied to!

sm2020

Distinguished Member
Junior Lawyer
Feb 2, 2021
Not sure - the email said end of Feb but I think they've had far more applications than they anticipated. Spring Scheme dates are 12 to 23 April.

I'm not even sure which one I applied to!
Thank you so much! I'm really hoping I applied to the spring scheme but just emailed Gemma asking which one I applied to as there's no way of finding out!

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    NEIGH NEIGHS IS GOING ON THE JONES DAY VAC SCHEME :eek:
    Huge congrats! If you are not celebrating like this I'll be very disappointed ;)
    music video whip GIF by Silento

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    I think a key role will be advising on where to pursue a SPAC - lots of stock exchanges have different listing rules and advantages. Lawyers would also need to understand the future of the business as opposed to its history as unlike IPOs or Public M&A, SPACs are projections focused (predicting what the company can achieve in the future). Take for example, Archer, a flying taxi company that went public via a SPAC. Lawyers would need to consider the future projections and what reasonable, prospective legal changes could affect that. So a lot of advisory work but somewhat different to usual as there are a lot more commercial considerations involved.
    Putting us all to shame as per usual 👏👏👏

• Haha
    Reactions: J32
    Wondering if anyone can shed any light on what's happening to me rn...

Back in December I was invited to an AC with a large firm and my only option was to book it for March. It was in fact supposed to be today. I've been waiting since then. A couple of weeks ago I got into contact with GR to sort out my reasonable adjustments. They called me, but said that due to internal reasons they couldn't hold any ACs during the week starting 1 March and mine would have to be rescheduled to the end of the month, which wouldn't affect my app. I was like alright but chatting to people on here I've since found out they ARE running ACs this week, including the one today, but for some reason have moved me out of it?? And I've had no contact with GR since they suggested the end of the month date. I've emailed but they haven't confirmed the day or time. Does anyone have any idea why this has happened? If it's just because they want to move me to a separate AC because of my adjustments I don't understand why they would lie and say none are going on this week.
    I am really sorry about the added stress - often firms can do things spontaneously, and I know how it can be unsettling for candidates (I was rejected from an AC last year, and then received a phone call saying they 'accidentally' rejected my video interview and they invited me to an AC in the next couple of weeks).

If they are indeed holding ACs this week, then I find it odd that they would 'lie' to you. I would tend to give firms the benefit of the doubt: it is more likely they did not use the best phrasing in their correspondence, and they are not trying to dupe you. Firms are held to a really high standard by the SRA, so I doubt they have done anything with malicious intent. Note, that some firms will have experienced hiccups this cycle as a result of the virtual format. I know Willkie Farr & Gallagher had to add an extra stage to their recruitment process midway through the cycle to cope with the increased volume of applications!

Do try and keep in regular correspondence with the firm's GR team, and if they grow unresponsive, I would always recommend calling them and politely following up (I had to do this with one firm). I know it is really nerve-wracking, and it can feel like this is another spanner in the works, but please do not worry - if there are any more developments or more concerns arise, please do reach out!

Jooooopp7

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Nov 25, 2019
    I think a key role will be advising on where to pursue a SPAC - lots of stock exchanges have different listing rules and advantages. Lawyers would also need to understand the future of the business as opposed to its history as unlike IPOs or Public M&A, SPACs are projections focused (predicting what the company can achieve in the future). Take for example, Archer, a flying taxi company that went public via a SPAC. Lawyers would need to consider the future projections and what reasonable, prospective legal changes could affect that. So a lot of advisory work but somewhat different to usual as there are a lot more commercial considerations involved.
    This is super helpful and informative thank you!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Wondering if anyone can shed any light on what's happening to me rn...

Back in December I was invited to an AC with a large firm and my only option was to book it for March. It was in fact supposed to be today. I've been waiting since then. A couple of weeks ago I got into contact with GR to sort out my reasonable adjustments. They called me, but said that due to internal reasons they couldn't hold any ACs during the week starting 1 March and mine would have to be rescheduled to the end of the month, which wouldn't affect my app. I was like alright but chatting to people on here I've since found out they ARE running ACs this week, including the one today, but for some reason have moved me out of it?? And I've had no contact with GR since they suggested the end of the month date. I've emailed but they haven't confirmed the day or time. Does anyone have any idea why this has happened? If it's just because they want to move me to a separate AC because of my adjustments I don't understand why they would lie and say none are going on this week.
    If you had reasonable adjustments, it may have been that they could t apply them for that specific AC and therefore had to move you.

Are you sure the ACs are for the same vacancy too? Could people be interviewing for a different programme or location?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.