2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tavistocksfinest

Star Member
Jan 3, 2020
I can't speak from experience, as I am merely a future trainee. However, I can say that from everyone I have spoken to, the NQ market is far more buoyant than the 'TC market', for want of a better descriptor.

If you have trained at a good firm, it is relatively easy to move between firms - however, bear in mind that 1) you might grow roots in a firm, and not want to leave, 2) the firm that you wish to leave and the firm you wish to join may have substantially different cultures/working habits, which you may or may not be amicable to, and 3) your qualification area will determine a lot of options (not that you should necessarily decide your qualification practice area based on this - just something to point out.

But, yes, in short, train at a good/top firm, and virtually all avenues are open (not to mention alternative paths like in-house/non-law careers).
Thank you very much for this! Definitely some great points to think about and something which is a long way off for me, but I just wanted to know!

C

Esteemed Member
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 7, 2019
apart from accelerating investment in tech and offering a wider range of services (to compete w the Big 4), can anyone think of anything else law firms can do at the moment to remain competitive?

Chardae

Sep 5, 2020
Hey everyone! Sorry if this has been answered already but I was wondering if anyone had heard back from Travers Smith for the summer VS? When I applied the autoresponse said we should hear back in January/February but I've heard nothing! Assuming this may mean a rejection but was wondering if anyone had heard back about interviews yet?

Lumree

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Highest Rated Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 17, 2019
    apart from accelerating investment in tech and offering a wider range of services (to compete w the Big 4), can anyone think of anything else law firms can do at the moment to remain competitive?
    It depends on the firm really. What firm is this for?

Lillith

Star Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 14, 2021
    Hey everyone! Sorry if this has been answered already but I was wondering if anyone had heard back from Travers Smith for the summer VS? When I applied the autoresponse said we should hear back in January/February but I've heard nothing! Assuming this may mean a rejection but was wondering if anyone had heard back about interviews yet?
    They’ve been running interviews but they might still be sending invites! They called me so make sure you answer in case they ring you :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I'm sure there's a potentially lethal on-the-spot drinking game that could be made out of every time Rishi inevitably says "protect our NHS", "build back better", "save jobs" and "tax".
    As long as there is no more do something to “help out” campaigns... 🙄

Reactions: Andrew M and Hugh Jarse

Jony

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Oct 19, 2020

Alternative fee arrangements, robotic process automation, strategic mergers

Reactions: C and AspiringSol
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.