2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

bethbristol

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Oct 30, 2019
I don't mean to be rude (in any way at all ever) but throughout my time at school and university I never went on a free trip anywhere - everything had a price. I'm now a teacher and none of the trips are free. The schools have a pupil premium fund for the very poorest students to attend things that are vital to their learning but that's it.
Yeah i know that’s what makes it all so difficult. I know my school did provide some funds, and some of the trips I did mention were close by so allowed for walking/cheap transport but aware that’s coming from one privileged perspective. The question in general is just so appalling but hopefully by approaching it from a variety of lens (as I tried to do here) most people might be able to come up with an answer!

Last edited:

EmmKay

Standard Member
Nov 7, 2019
Not a vac scheme, but is anyone waiting to hear back about whether they have an interview for the Aspiring Solicitors Barclay's Think Talent Scheme?
Me! The initial confirmation of application email from AS said we’d hear back before the 10th of March. I emailed them a couple days ago to ask for an update and they said Barclays would “contact successful applicants directly”. The initial AS email definitely said AS would be in touch though, and that too before the 10th of March. I’m worried about my application just slipping through since that’s happened to other AS members applying for other AS schemes .. have you heard back yet? :) Any idea who the Barclays contact for this might be?

JayB

Legendary Member
May 16, 2019
I’ve recently completed an AC, and was interviewed by a partner and a counsel and since then I’ve been wondering what’s the main difference between them? I didn’t want to ask this in the interview as I thought it may come across slightly personal 😂

Could anyone shed some light on this?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I’ve recently completed an AC, and was interviewed by a partner and a counsel and since then I’ve been wondering what’s the main difference between them? I didn’t want to ask this in the interview as I thought it may come across slightly personal 😂

Could anyone shed some light on this?

Counsel.PNG

• ℹ️
Reactions: OB, JayB, els124 and 13 others

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
It differs by firm though doesn’t it? A partner at Shearman told me that they give the title ‘Of Counsel’ mainly to retired senior partners who want to keep working for the firm on an advisory basis

If they are retired and working more as a consultant or on a contract basis, that would fall into the "of counsel" definition on the image. They have no desire to become partner because they were one, and have now stepped down. The "getting older and lacking energy" point most likely ;)

Reactions: OB, JayC and Daniel Boden

traineeintraining

Star Member
Oct 29, 2019
This has probably been asked and answered before but if a video interview is due Wednesday the 17th at 00:00 does this mean I have until the Tuesday night to complete it or the Wednesday night ? additionally if anyone has participated in the White & Case video interview and has any tips to share I would greatly appreciate it !

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
This has probably been asked and answered before but if a video interview is due Wednesday the 17th at 00:00 does this mean I have until the Tuesday night to complete it or the Wednesday night ? additionally if anyone has participated in the White & Case video interview and has any tips to share I would greatly appreciate it !
If it is Launchpad it means 23.59 on the 17th

Reactions: traineeintraining

LegalNim

Legendary Member
Nov 14, 2019
When people say they hear back over the phone - is that just for final TC offers? I've only ever had emails for VS offers. If I'm rejected at the final TC stage, should I be expecting a phone call or an email? Or is this something that completely varies between firms?

LEL

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Jul 22, 2020
When people say they hear back over the phone - is that just for final TC offers? I've only ever had emails for VS offers. If I'm rejected at the final TC stage, should I be expecting a phone call or an email? Or is this something that completely varies between firms?
Usually phone calls are only for good news, I think it would be pretty cruel of them to call you to tell you they don't want you lol. But whether it's a phone call or email, that's dependent on the firm.

layla rose

Legendary Member
  • Nov 27, 2020
    I've had VS calls for both and they provide feedback over the phone

Alex3107

Star Member
    Future Trainee
  • Jan 28, 2021
    I've had a partner phone me after my last AC and it was good news, but otherwise it's only ever been emails (with both good and bad news lol)

Gracey

Standard Member
    Dec 19, 2020
    Some firms call back regarding TC offers whether you’re successful or unsuccessful. That way you don’t have to chase them for feedback if you’re unsuccessful because they give it to you when they tell you the outcome. Some firms just email if you’re successful for a VS rather than calling

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.