2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Velikilawyer123

Legendary Member
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 37
Mar 4, 2020
I'm a teacher - so I get school holiday off. Otherwise you can apply for leave for things like close family funerals etc but you don't get to take holiday. It's not the employers fault, it's just how it works because obviously that's how schools are.
Ah, apologies, yeah that makes total sense. Really tough position to be in, I feel for you.

• 🤝
Reactions: layla rose

Velikilawyer123

Legendary Member
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 37
Mar 4, 2020
It’s quite common for employers to not let you take time off work to work for another employer. It will be a fairly standard T&C in an employment contract for permanent jobs.

You at least have to declare any other employment in most cases.
Yeah that's true, but equally, (assuming you're allowed to take annual leave whenever) how could your employer know what you're doing during your time off, especially if it's all being done remotely?

Andrew M

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Jan 7, 2020
It's not an option - I don't get to choose when I take time off. I'm honestly so upset. They are 1000000% aware that I applied for a Direct TC and I told them it's because I cannot attend a vacation scheme so to just expect it when I've gone through the entire process for the direct TC was just a complete waste of my time (and theirs!!).
This might be a silly question but have you mentioned that applied for a direct TC and explained your circumstances? Because I would hope that a firm would at least make an effort to accommodate you, given that they're the ones who effed up here...

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Yeah that's true, but equally, (assuming you're allowed to take annual leave whenever) how could your employer know what you're doing during your time off, especially if it's all being done remotely?
Because you have to declare it if it is a condition in your employment! How would you like it if your employer broke a term in your contract?

Sure lie about it if you want to. But when your coming back from your annual leave and you look more tired than when you went off, and your story doesn’t add up as to what you did with your time off, people are going to wonder. And lying to people is never a good look.

Reactions: Jacob Miller

LegalNim

Legendary Member
Nov 14, 2019
Because you have to declare it if it is a condition in your employment! How would you like it if your employer broke a term in your contract?

Sure lie about it if you want to. But when your coming back from your annual leave and you look more tired than when you went off, and your story doesn’t add up as to what you did with your time off, people are going to wonder. And lying to people is never a good look.
Thank you. I'm not intending to lie because I'd have to be "sick" and being sick would still have an expectation that I'm contactable by phone and email all day - which I wouldn't be able to be. Having said that, I have a toddler so I definitely go back to work after a break more tired than when I left haha.

Reactions: theTC_girl

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thank you. I'm not intending to lie because I'd have to be "sick" and being sick would still have an expectation that I'm contactable by phone and email all day - which I wouldn't be able to be. Having said that, I have a toddler so I definitely go back to work after a break more tired than when I left haha.
I don’t know what conversations you have had with the firm already, but I would reiterate to them you can’t take the time off because you are a teacher and is there anything else they can do. Could they offer some informal work experience for a week or two in the school holidays as an alternative if they are keen to see your “on the job” performance. Could they transfer you to a winter/spring scheme (if scarily for next year) if they run outside of school term dates?

tk166

Esteemed Member
Jul 17, 2020
I think there’s an upside to law being more training. This might just be me but I don’t fancy working 100 hours a week at 21-22 years old, no matter how much I get paid! Sometimes your mental health and enjoyment of your job needs to take priority over money. That’s just me though!
Well thats the thing, if you work at US firms by the time you’re NQ your friends in IBD won’t even be earning that much more than you (maybe if they’re really good their bonus takes them to £170k but thats upper bound at an elite boutique) and you wouldn’t have had to suffer and sacrifice your entire life for 3-4 years to get there

Reactions: Daniel Boden

E1998

Distinguished Member
Feb 17, 2021
Guys if a firm has sent an email on Thursday saying decisions will be communicated by close of business Monday / if our circumstances have changed let them know, and I didn't hear on Friday can I assume it's a rejection? This is after an interview.

zigzag84

Star Member
Feb 4, 2021
Guys if a firm has sent an email on Thursday saying decisions will be communicated by close of business Monday / if our circumstances have changed let them know, and I didn't hear on Friday can I assume it's a rejection? This is after an interview.
No not at all. Because they have to communicate their decision either way (whether you have been successful or not) so I guess they will tell you on Monday. Don’t give up hope yet!!

Reactions: Kubed

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
No - you can’t make that assumption at all.

Reactions: FM302989

Nnu

Star Member
  • Mar 9, 2021
    hey guys, have this question in an application, id appreciate any pointers of where to look to research the answer!

"Tell us about a recent development, situation or piece of work within the legal industry that you think is a good example of lawyers or law firms thinking smart."

thank you !

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.