2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

KirstyT

Standard Member
Feb 22, 2021
Morning all, I have been asked to attend an optional drop-in test call a couple of days before an AC to check the tech. It is not clear from the email who will be in attendance and no dress code has been provided.

Should I still wear formal business attire? If any of you have had a similar situation, how did you approach dress code?

acceleratedlaw

Legendary Member
Jan 27, 2020
Morning all, I have been asked to attend an optional drop-in test call a couple of days before an AC to check the tech. It is not clear from the email who will be in attendance and no dress code has been provided.

Should I still wear formal business attire? If any of you have had a similar situation, how did you approach dress code?
hey hey, i did a tech check up before an AC and no you don't have to dress formally or anything. it's not assessed, it's just merely so they can check everything will be in order ahead of the AC

Reactions: KirstyT

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
Morning guys,

Do you mention the firm's podcasts or webinars in your cover letter?
How do you increase your understanding of the firm's strategy and how do you explain it in your app?

Thank you

Dheepa

Legendary Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
TCLA Moderator
Premium Member
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019

I know everyone always says it's better to go formal and play it safe but I really don't think you'd need to wear formal attire for something like this. Just a plain top/shirt would do.

Reactions: Jacob Miller and KirstyT

KirstyT

Standard Member
    Feb 22, 2021
    hey hey, i did a tech check up before an AC and no you don't have to dress formally or anything. it's not assessed, it's just merely so they can check everything will be in order ahead of the AC

I know everyone always says it's better to go formal and play it safe but I really don't think you'd need to wear formal attire for something like this. Just a plain top/shirt would do.
    Thank you both!! I thought formal business dress might be a bit overkill for a quick tech check

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Morning guys,

Do you mention the firm's podcasts or webinars in your cover letter?
    How do you increase your understanding of the firm's strategy and how do you explain it in your app?

Thank you

Yup you can definitely mention things like podcasts and webinars as long as you're really drawing out what you learnt from them and why its furthered your motivations to train at the firm. In terms of increasing your understanding of a firm's strategy, I'd suggest looking at the firm's annual report and seeing how they describe the strategy in their promotional material and what they hope to achieve through the strategy. My advice for mentioning in your app is the same, only mention it if you can draw a link to why you want to train there. For example, if a firm's strategy says its focused on increasing growth in PE or focused on international expansion in Asia for example, what kind of opportunities would that create for trainees and why does that excite you/draw you to the firm?

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    Yup you can definitely mention things like podcasts and webinars as long as you're really drawing out what you learnt from them and why its furthered your motivations to train at the firm. In terms of increasing your understanding of a firm's strategy, I'd suggest looking at the firm's annual report and seeing how they describe the strategy in their promotional material and what they hope to achieve through the strategy. My advice for mentioning in your app is the same, only mention it if you can draw a link to why you want to train there. For example, if a firm's strategy says its focused on increasing growth in PE or focused on international expansion in Asia for example, what kind of opportunities would that create for trainees and why does that excite you/draw you to the firm?
    Thank you so much! will save this response!

Reactions: Dheepa

jan28

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    M&A Bootcamp
    Sep 12, 2019
    hi guys, if it isn't too cheeky to ask, those that have done dechert vi please could someone confirm if we get a minute or 90 secs to answer as I find a minute is SO short and impossible.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.