2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

21wajsz

Legendary Member
  • Dec 3, 2020
    Has anyone heard from Reed Smith recently! I submitted my research questions in early February and I haven't heard anything since (lowkey forgot I still had Reed Smith outstanding!)
    Spoke too sooon hahah, just got my PFO but the email said Spring instead of Summer so I will blissfully disregard their PFO :p

Andrew M

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Jan 7, 2020
    Much better to ask for an extension mate as technically a condition of your offer letter would be to withdraw from the processes of other firms. Obviously if that condition isn't there then you technically could accept and renege but much better to ask for an extension first, especially if you explain the circumstances of your situation
    Thank you! I had a firm (which I had to reject due to conflicting dates) say that they may be able to offer me a place on their Easter scheme. I do want to do the scheme. But I wouldn't want to then be put into a situation (if I'm successful) where I would have to cancel the two summer schemes I have already accepted.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    A purely hypothetical scenario/question relating to this: if a firm offered a TC following an Easter scheme, and I had vac schemes secured for summer (with firms I preferred), would it be better to ask for some kind of extension? Or to accept and then renege, if successful with one of the preferred firms?
    Definitely better to ask for an extension in the first instance. The firm is likely to be aware of your additional schemes anyway. The only real reasons. Firm might say no is if you are starting the GDL/LPC/SQE prep that September and the firm hasn’t got a lot of time to sign you up to the course.

Otherwise the firm might expect you will accept and then renege anyway.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Andrew M

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    1. I don't see a problem with this.
    2. I think this is extremely unlikely. Sometimes grad recruitment move around, but they have better things to talk about. If anyone is in a position to go ahead with this, I just wouldn't go around shouting about it.
    Not only is it extremely unlikely it is also in breach of data protection and would be pretty dodgy of them to do so these days (unless it’s on your LinkedIn of course, then technically it is fair game....)

Last edited:
    Reactions: JayC

konanslan

Nov 25, 2020
    Have a strange Q – I completed a law firm written assessment (as part of their AC) on Launchpad last Friday. The moment the website redirected me as the time limit expired, I selected all of the text in the textbox to copy them (and can't remember if command+c was the only thing I did).

So right now I'm not 100% sure whether my answer was successfully sent to the firm or could there be some issue (like what if I deleted everything last minute; sorry it looks like I'm overthinking during the wait but just wanna be safe). I have emailed the firm to check but no response yet. Launchpad told me that I have to ask the firm directly. Should I call?

tc_hopeful

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 18, 2020
    @Jessica Booker

In a rather unfortunate situation and would appreciate some advice on what to do -

Just found out that I got a VI invite on the 19th of March from Dechert that I completely missed because it was in my junk folder (my mistake, I know - I completely did not expect to progress to the next stage and so haven't been checking as closely as I should have been!)

Now there's only little over 24 hours to complete the VI. This is my first VI ever and so I'm completely unprepared. Should I just prep as much as I can and do the interview by the deadline? Any chance grad recruitment would be sympathetic and offer an extension if I asked?

Thank you!

Nnu

Star Member
  • Mar 9, 2021
    @Jessica Booker

In a rather unfortunate situation and would appreciate some advice on what to do -

Just found out that I got a VI invite on the 19th of March from Dechert that I completely missed because it was in my junk folder (my mistake, I know - I completely did not expect to progress to the next stage and so haven't been checking as closely as I should have been!)

Now there's only little over 24 hours to complete the VI. This is my first VI ever and so I'm completely unprepared. Should I just prep as much as I can and do the interview by the deadline? Any chance grad recruitment would be sympathetic and offer an extension if I asked?

Thank you!
    you can always ask! I did the same with another firm and they extended by a day for me!

Reactions: tc_hopeful

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Have a strange Q – I completed a law firm written assessment (as part of their AC) on Launchpad last Friday. The moment the website redirected me as the time limit expired, I selected all of the text in the textbox to copy them (and can't remember if command+c was the only thing I did).

So right now I'm not 100% sure whether my answer was successfully sent to the firm or could there be some issue (like what if I deleted everything last minute; sorry it looks like I'm overthinking during the wait but just wanna be safe). I have emailed the firm to check but no response yet. Launchpad told me that I have to ask the firm directly. Should I call?
    No - the email is sufficient

• 🤝
    Reactions: konanslan

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    @Jessica Booker

Thank you!
    Yeah, no harm in asking! Prepare as if the video interview is tomorrow regardless but the worst that can happen is that they say no. I had issues with my internet for a week when I had a VI and two firms gave me week extensions so normally firms are amenable to this kind of thing :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    @Jessica Booker

Thank you!
    Call them now or first thing in the morning to ask for an extension. If they say no, then at least you have the most amount of time to prepare that you can.

CareerChanger

Valued Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 5, 2021
    So you were there too! How did you find it? The written exercise was quite a lot to read in a short space of time, I thought.
    Yes, there was quite a lot to process. It was a real challenge getting through it and producing something decent in the time limit. Hoping I did enough. We will see. Had a lovely interview though!

Last edited:

tc_hopeful

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 18, 2020
    Call them now or first thing in the morning to ask for an extension. If they say no, then at least you have the most amount of time to prepare that you can.
    Thank you! I've just given them a call but didn't manage to reach grad recruitment. I've just sent them a quick email and will call again to follow up first thing tomorrow.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.