2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawstudent178

Mar 24, 2021
I have a hypothetical situation which may arise which I'd really appreciate advice with as follows:
I have accepted a TC offer from one firm to start in 2023. The contract says nothing about withdrawing applications from another firm/loyalty to that firm. I then go on to receive a VS offer from a much more prestigious firm which I prefer given a variety of things.

My questions are:
1) Am I able to undergo the VS with the other firm?
2) Am I able to renege the TC offer to accept a TC offer from the VS firm in the case that I was offered a TC at the end of it?

moesha12

Jan 3, 2021
12 apps , 2 video interviews, countless watson glasers and SJTs later and I've been offered a Vacation scheme with Morrison & Foerster (MoFo)! 😅 I'm so excited! My first and only AC this cycle and I really like everything about the firm. This came off the back of approx. 10 rejections guys, so try and stay hopeful as hard as it sounds. All the firms that I felt really strongly about in terms of application quality etc (hogan Lovells, W&C, Baker McKenzie) all rejections. Whereas I submitted my MoFo app two days before the deadline with little assistance and got through?

Anyway, all the best to those still waiting and thank you to everyone on this forum for being so genuine and kind!

Extra details: they like to call. I was invited to both of my interviews via phone and offered a place by phone as well. Submitted (02/01); 1st Interview invite (26/02); 2nd interview invite (11/03); Offer (25/03)

lawstudent178

Mar 24, 2021
Does anyone think it’s a bad sign that a TC interview slot was 15 mins, and the interview only took 9 mins? They looked engaged throughout and pleased at what I was saying, but I’m not sure just as it was so short!
Not really, you may have covered everything much quicker than expected. I had the same situation for a VS interview; interview was meant to be 30 mins and took little over 15 and I panicked after. I got the offer so don't worry.

ElizabethF

Oct 1, 2020
Could I ask someone what happens if you have secured vacation schemes in both spring and summer, but you get offered the TC after completing your spring vacation scheme. Could you then go on to complete the summer vacation schemes (if you've not accepted the TC offer yet)? How long does the TC offer generally last?

Dheepa

Legendary Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
TCLA Moderator
Premium Member
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    I have a hypothetical situation which may arise which I'd really appreciate advice with as follows:
    I have accepted a TC offer from one firm to start in 2023. The contract says nothing about withdrawing applications from another firm/loyalty to that firm. I then go on to receive a VS offer from a much more prestigious firm which I prefer given a variety of things.

My questions are:
    2) Am I able to renege the TC offer to accept a TC offer from the VS firm in the case that I was offered a TC at the end of it?

A lot of questions like this on the forum recently (side note: I'm loving seeing the TCLA gang securing multiple offers!). I'm going to try to summarise the advice I've seen given on this.
    1. Yes you can do the VS. Although the offer letter in your case doesn't say anything about withdrawing applications, I'd suspect it would still apply. A popular follow up question to this is if there is any way the first firm will find out, rescind their offer and if you don't secure the offer from the second VS, leave you without any offers at all. Answer is firms and GR teams have no way of communicating these kinds of things to one other as it would be in serious breach of GDPR guidelines. From personal experience, I know so many people who have done this and have not suffered any kind of repercussions. It's not a great move integrity wise (and I would not recommend it), but you won't be the first person nor the last to do it.

2. Yes you can renege. There's no effect from reneging unless the first firm has already paid your fees for the GDL/LPC in which case you'll have to return the money. Otherwise, you're all good.
    There is a lot to be said about taking spaces away from other deserving people by reneging on offers. Jess and Jaysen have talked about this really recently here and here. Ultimately the choice is yours to make and I appreciate it's a difficult situation to be in after having worked so hard to secure multiple offers.

Could I ask someone what happens if you have secured vacation schemes in both spring and summer, but you get offered the TC after completing your spring vacation scheme. Could you then go on to complete the summer vacation schemes (if you've not accepted the TC offer yet)? How long does the TC offer generally last?

If you haven't accepted a TC offer, i.e. you've only been made the offer but haven't signed or committed to it yet, then yes you can go on to do more vacations schemes. How long an offer lasts depends on the firm but generally the minimum I've seen is two weeks. In this case I would recommend you ask the spring VS firm for an extension on the deadline to accept. There is a possibility the firm will say no though. If you're in your penultimate year of university, the SRA code of conduct does give you until September i.e. the start of your final year. However since it is a voluntary code of conduct, some firms may still not be willing to extend the offer long enough to let you do the summer scheme. In which case it leaves you in the tough position of foregoing the latter VS or you can see the above advice on potentially going ahead with it anyway. Again, completely up to you!

Last edited:

LS12

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Apr 22, 2020
    Anyone have any advice on what a final year with no VC/TC lined up can do between now and the next cycle?
    This was the situation I found myself in, albeit I did have the luck of securing an internship in-house- I would say try and find whatever experience you can find - first of all remember every job has transferrable skills so don't worry too much if you're not getting that legal experience - paralegal opportunities are very competitive. I was lucky in securing a paralegal role and I am happy to provide advice via dm. Other than that do those forage opportunities, volunteering, build on passions you already have and network - firms have some interesting events on current topics of concern for organisations - attend and follow up with the speakers if you have questions

Reactions: Mxkry and OB

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

My questions are:
    1) technically, yes - but check the terms and conditions both of your TC and VS offer. Your VS offer could be subject to you not accepting a TC

2) Yes, you can renege. You should factor in any costs you may incur though. If the firm is sponsoring your legal training, or paying for anything on your behalf (visa, registration fees for GDL/LPC), be mindful you will need to pay these things back

The better option is to not accept the TC offer and ask for an extension of the period of time you have to accept the offer

Reactions: Daniel Boden
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.